• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm so glad I found you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Hi, my name is Kenneth and I am a european car nut. I just recently bought my Volvo thinking there was absolutely nothing you could do to it, and I'm a performance guy. I already have a 1998 VW GTI VR6 lightly modded and absolutely love it. But, unfortunately I am in the grave danger of having to sell it. this saddens me greatly. I bought the volvo as a replacement for if/when the VW sells. it's an '83 with only 134,000 miles on it!!! It had the seats re-covered with a few minor mechanical problems, but those are getting fixed as they and my money come along. (I have a new son at home) the biggest problem is the outer looks! the burgandy paint is about 30% faded all the way down to the primer and there is a little surface rust along some of the lines on the hood and trunk lid. If anyone can give me some tips on how to solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Oh well I would also like to know a little more on making this brick a little faster. My deepest sympathy to all of you on your lost friend...
I can't wait to hear from some of you guys.
Kenneth

Jordan makes a good point here, we're great. I can't help but agree with him about this. This is the best Volvo performance site on the web.

Anyway, Kenneth, welcome aboard. You're gonna have to let us know some more details about your car before we can help you out. What model? Turbo or non? Manual or Auto transmission? Intercooled? Armed with that information, we will be able to help you.

well, the car is a 1983 volvo DL 4 door (ugh) I'm pretty sure it's the b23f engine, 4 spd manual trans w/ elec. overdrive. I'd like it to have a little more pep for right now, and then possibly look at turbo options?? (When my limited budget allows) Believe me, from what I have seen so far, hooking up this car will be a lot less expensive than It would be for my VW. What could work for me right now? cam? cam gear? Intake? Exhaust? Chip? more? I dunno.. Drop me a reply for suggestions please?!?

well, the car is a 1983 volvo DL 4 door (ugh) I'm pretty sure it's the b23f engine, 4 spd manual trans w/ elec. overdrive. I'd like it to have a little more pep for right now, and then possibly look at turbo options?? (When my limited budget allows) Believe me, from what I have seen so far, hooking up this car will be a lot less expensive than It would be for my VW. What could work for me right now? cam? cam gear? Intake? Exhaust? Chip? more? I dunno.. Drop me a reply for suggestions please?!?

You have many options. Cams, exhausts, headers, intakes, cam gears, they're all available. Check out www.ipdusa.com for some stuff. There are factory Volvo cams such as the A, B, and K which are available on this continent which will give you about 10-15 more hp. A 2.25" exhaust will give you another 6hp or so. Use a straight muffler and pick up another couple hp. Change your engine driven fan to an electric one, and you've got a couple more horses. Setup a tubular cone intake system, and you have a few more horses. Get headers and that's another 5-10hp. Do all of these things and your car will be about 35-40% faster than it is now. Put a turbo on there and it can be twice as fast.

I really appreciate the info. With regards to the intake, I heard that a cone filter is too small of a surface area compared to a k&n panel filter. do you think this matters, or will the cone be sufficient?

yeah man toss a b cam in it and drive the mofo. Thats the best step before you get a turbo. just save your money from the other stuff like headers and exaust...having even a low 16 second NA (na=not turbo) car is very tough to accomplish. At least its a 5 speed.

Michael

drop Dale(245gti) an instant message, he's got K cams and adjustable gears for a good price. I wouldn't get too serious with that engine if you plan on doing a turbo in the near future. I'd keep an eye out for a complete turbo engine(everything inc. fuel system) and just transplant it, that might be the most simple approach, although there are a few on this board running high comp(stock n/a) engines and turbo's with great results :lol: Welcome and good luck!! :wave:

n/a cars can be fun, but there is a MAJOR difference when you get behind the wheel of a turbo or better-yet turbo intercooler.

Save your cash and get a used turbo motor if you want some real pep! We're here for all you Volvo performance question! Good luck, have fun and welcome!

nick

Back