• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How to photoshop your volvo with realistic looking results

Chrisco

WRC addict
This tutorial explains how to tint windows, and repaint your Volvo realisticly and efficiantly (and probably more later). I will also assume you have a basic idea on how to use photoshop. These lessons are all done with CS2.

Aquire a picture of your Volvo. For this example I will use Hank Scorpio's '68 120 wagon *drool* (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=86978). It's recomended that you use a big image that you'll scale down later, but not nessecary. I chose this image because of the high resolution, and I wanted to PS somthing other than a 240/740.
1.jpg

Lesson 1: Selection made easy!

-Step 1: In preperation for Lesson 2 (Tinting Windows) I will be selecting the windows. First create a new layer over your current image, then choose the paint brush tool. Choose a colour that will stand out from the picture. In your new layer use the paint brush to trace the edge of the area you wish to select. Make sure you've zoomed in for this. You can click, hold shift, and click again along straight edges to draw straight lines quickly. Holding shift as you do this gets it done quickly (it's a lot like doing connect the dots.)
2.jpg

-Step 2: Use the paint bucket inside the areas you have just created. It will leave thin lines on the inside of the edges you just painted. Next you simply paint over the lines with your paint brush.
3.jpg

4.jpg

-Step 3: In the layers window click the eye to make your new layer invisible. Select the layer with the original picture. Then holding the control key click the layer that you just painted in.
5.jpg

Now you can reselect the exact same area any time!

Lesson 2: Tinting Windows

-Step 1: Select your windows (see Lesson 1)

-Step 2: Go to Image>Adjustments>Curves...
6.jpg

-Step 3: Click and hold in the middle of the box, and drag down until you get the disired darkness. You can press CTRL+H to hide the "marching ants" and still have the area selected for a better view.
7.jpg

-Step 4 (optional): On odd occasion you may notice the colour seems to go off. In this case it went a bit blue. Again go to Image>Adjustments>Curves... In the curves window go to channel and choose what ever colour you got that you want to reduce/increase (you may have to adjust multiple channels). Play around with it until you're happy.
8.jpg

Most commonly people paint black in a separate layer over the image and use opacity to control the amount of tint. Using Curves is better because it maintains the highlights/reflections resulting in a more accurate representation.

Before/After:
9.jpg

Lesson 3: Repainting your car (will be added soon)

Here's a bigger higher quality version of all the completed lessons combined: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i126/Chrisco242/hscomplete.jpg

-------------
Anything missed? Is it explained clearly? How was the load time? Spelling mistakes? Comments welcome.

Last edited:
Back