• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Low and behold a new rear shock option for lowered 240s'

Jerd

Several people have run 240 billy HD's in the back of their car and allot complain about them not doing a good job. So i set out to find an affordable substitute.

Summit Racing Sport truck shocks.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G7727/
th_DSC02061.jpg

These shocks have many reviews from the mini truckers and some from raised 4x4s. All of these reviews mention their firmness and quality.

"Our Summit? sport-truck shocks have special valving and 180 psi of pressurized nitrogen gas to help give your truck better handling. They also have a big 1 3/8 in. piston bore and variable-speed damping to help prevent fading and give you a comfortable, controlled ride. We even include polyurethane bushings for durability."

Whats funny about these shocks is when i opened the box, right on the side of the shock it said, "Doetsch-Tech". Doetsch techs have been very popular in the mini truck world and have a very high reputation for quality. On Doetsch techs website you can find a black shock with red bushings called the "Nitro slammer" This is their description.

"The Nitro Slammer is specifically designed for lowered sport trucks. This complete line will fit all import and domestic light duty, mid and full size trucks. Nitro Slammer shocks will give your truck a boost in cornering performance.

? Large 1 3/8? Piston ? Twin Tube ? Dust Wiper Seal ? Polyurethane Bushings ? High-Gloss Black Enamel Finish ? 180 p.s.i. Nitrogen Gas"

So the summit sport truck shocks are the Doetsch tech brand shock. The size that i got is the nitro slammer model. I do not know if the longer shocks are the same models.

HOW TO FIT THEM

DSC02062.jpg

DSC02063.jpg

These shocks come with metal inserts for the poly bushings you can use them in the top but you will want to use the oem ones on the bottom. They are a tight fit but with some white lithium the squish right in.

Start by heating up the metal sleeve. This will loosen up the rubber. using a peice of tubing or a socket. Put the shock end in a vice and press the sleeve through as far as you can go.
DSC02064.jpg

DSC02065.jpg

Reheat or while the sleeve is still hot put it in the vice like shown below tap on the body of the shock with a hammer or wiggle it around untill the sleeve comes out completely.
DSC02066.jpg

After you get both sleeves out grind off any left over rubber and get them smooth i decided to round off the edge on one side to make them easier to push into the poly. It is a very tight fit.
DSC02067.jpg

I do not have any pictures of me pressing them in but you will want to lube them up good with a grease. You do not need any tubing or a socket because you want the sleeve flush with one side and the rest sticking out the other side. This is to keep the shock body away from the trailing arm. If you put the sleeve in the middle the shock body hits the trailing arm.

For the top you can use the metal sleeves that came with the kit or do the same thing to the top as you did to the bottom. The ones that come with the kit are to small they have a slit down the side so that when you put them on they will get larger. You can hammer the shock onto the top stud it will come back off but not easily

(If you get the longer ones you can just bolt them in now.)

(The below method of mounting these shocks is OPTIONAL it all depends on how low your car will be. IF you're slamming your car then you do not need to drill the higher hole. If you're wanting to go low but nothing stupid low then you would be better off gaining more droop and drilling the hole use your brain and do what you feel is right for the ride height you're trying to accomplish.)

Now that the shocks are ready to install If you got the short ones i highly recommend you have at least 3.75-4 coils cut off the stock springs. If you have 2.75 or 3 cut ( i have 3 cut off) then you are going to want to do this.

Start by using the nut pushed to the top of the trailing arm and punch a mark in the center of the nut to find the highest point you can drill your hole. Drill a pilot hole here.
DSC02069.jpg

After you have the pilot hole you can used a stepped drill bit or the correct size drill bit to finish the job. Drill on both sides of the trailing arm and repeat on the other side of the car.
DSC02071.jpg

Then put the bolt spacer back in place slide the bolt through with the longer side of the pressed in sleeve towards the outside of the car. tighten the nut on both top and bottom shock mount.

Now use a shorter bolt and nut to put into the old shock hole to hold the swaybar in place.
(sorry for blurry picture)
DSC02075.jpg

And you're done!!!

Full droop, notice with 3 coils cut off oem springs they are still held in place, i no longer need limiting straps.
DSC02073.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

Ride height
DSC02072.jpg

Progressive review on shocks:

First impressions: Much better than what was on there! Jumping on rear bumper: The rearend feels properly dampened and is not so springy. Before if i got the car bouncing and got off you could kind of see it settle in. If you bounce on it then hop off it just extends to ride height and stops. I am a bit concerned that these will not support a very stiff spring. Its very hard to judge just by feel, but if i was forced to guess i would say a 250# spring is their limit. Cant wait to try this out!

First drive: Wow, much much better! It feels stiffer over bumps and the rear of the car does not "lag" as much it use to feel like the front would turn in and the rear end would forget what its doing and a take a second to catch up. It feels more responsive.

Second drive: In corner traction has improved a lot! less inside tire spin. Car feels more predictable. When going from a left to right the weight transfer is much smoother.

After a few weeks:
Still doing great i noticed they are stiffer when its really cold out

new springs:
My brother put a lift kit on his jeep Cherokee. Looking at his old front springs i decided to cut them down and throw a spring seat on the trailing arm.

uncut jeep spring next to 3 coils cut oem volvo
DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

The back end of my car is higher than it was before so i can cut another half coil off these springs or so. They get noticeably stiffer with every half coil removed. Looking forward to see how much i can remove before it starts looking lame.

UPDATE

Update, im now running these shocks with 300# springs, guess what? Bingo!!!! no bouncy bounce well dampened if anything i would say ride quality improved.

Short shocks, stiff valving, poly bushings, all at a very affordable price. These are great i recomend them to everyone who wants a sporty ride, from cut springs to 300# coilover springs. Bitchen! supper happy.

DSC02734.jpg

This picture is with the shock in the oem bolt hole the car is on the ground and thats how much travel is left!!!! plenty of droop but little enough that i can lift all 3 tires off the ground by jacking from the rear jack point. hahahah
DSC02731-1.jpg

DSC02728.jpg

UPDATE

Over a month from running 300# springs still feels well dampened i continue to be impressed with these shocks. They come highly recommended from me and i think its the only shock that a turbo bricker should buy for the back of a lowered 240 if hes after a sporty ride.

UPDATE

Over a Year later from installing these and they are doing amazing. However summit no longer sells these, we need to find another supplier.

Last edited:
wow, a shock that retails @ 30 dollars? I am pretty skeptical of the quality of the components and the quality control of a shock that retails so low.

Great work Jerd! Any pics of the car on the ground? With 3 coils cut off the back, I'd figure the front would then need about 3.5 for a nice stance, no? Any possibility of you finding something similar for the front? :-P

DSC02067.jpg

Do a better job than this, the poly bushing rotates on this surface, and will wear quite quickly.
i no longer need limiting straps.
Yes you do, topping out the shocks will ruin them in short order.
/troll, sorry.

Great work Jerd! Any pics of the car on the ground? With 3 coils cut off the back, I'd figure the front would then need about 3.5 for a nice stance, no? Any possibility of you finding something similar for the front? :-P

Here are two
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll278/Volvosporter/DSC01974.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll278/Volvosporter/DSC01960.jpg

The front is on SAAB 9-3 billy HD's they are 2.5" shorter than the volvo shocks i converted my front to coilovers its probably equivalent to more than 3.5 coils cut off stock but at that point you are bottoming out the front struts. Danyuls 244 is cut 3 front 3 rear and looks great. The ride is okay too.

DSC02067.jpg

Do a better job than this, the poly bushing rotates on this surface, and will wear quite quickly.

Yes you do, topping out the shocks will ruin them in short order.
/troll, sorry.

Actually im pretty sure that the metal sleeve will turn on the bolt before the poly will ever turn on that. The oem shocks would never turn in the rubber, it would rip.

If im topping out the shocks while driving then i should have got longer shocks. I dont top them out. That was why i drilled the higher holes in the trailing arm to give me more droop. The point of limiting straps was to keep my springs in place while lifting the car. Or for most people to keep the axle off the exhaust while lifting the car, i have a side pipe so its not a problem. If i find myself lifting tires and limiting out the shocks then i will build straps to keep them from getting ruined.

Last edited:
That metal spacer is sandwiched between the trailing arm by the bolt and nut, it will not turn. The shock however will rotate it's angle (although not a lot).

The sleeve should NEVER be allowed to turn, it will chew through the bolt, and make a really PITA hole to repair as it mashes its way through the sheetmetal at its ends. this is an unending source of work on 4x4s.
Rubber is bonded on, and twists, this is why rubber bushes must only be tightened at ride height.
Poly is not bonded, but rides on lube in the shell and or sleeve, so the shell and sleeve need to be nice and smooth.
Wire wheel then fine sandpaper works good.

That metal spacer is sandwiched between the trailing arm by the bolt and nut, it will not turn. The shock however will rotate it's angle (although not a lot).

well... good point. I should have just said it wont be a problem but for other people doing this maybe clean the sleeves off a different way then grinding them.

The sleeve should NEVER be allowed to turn, it will chew through the bolt, and make a really PITA hole to repair as it mashes its way through the sheetmetal at its ends. this is an unending source of work on 4x4s.
Rubber is bonded on, and twists, this is why rubber bushes must only be tightened at ride height.
Poly is not bonded, but rides on lube in the shell and or sleeve, so the shell and sleeve need to be nice and smooth.
Wire wheel then fine sandpaper works good.

yes you're right.

Good tips, i should have polished it down or something.

I'm interested in your opinions after about a week or so, I'm not entirely happy with my HD's in the rear with stiffer springs. Been considering Koni Reds for the rear but hey if the price is right...

after that i would want to box the arms. i dont know if i would be happy stacking mounting holes in the middle of the control arm.

That's the last thing I'd worry about. Seriously, won't be an issue.

Sorry Bryan (spelled that right?) But i'm with mike on this one, i was not worried when i did it and im not worried about it now. But i do plan on boxing them anyways because i like added rigidity wherever i can get it! :)

Whats funny about these shocks is when i opened the box, right on the side of the shock it said, "Doetsch-Tech". Doetsch techs have been very popular in the mini truck world and have a very high reputation for quality. On Doetsch techs website you can find a black shock with red bushings called the "Nitro slammer" This is their description.
Doestch Tech! I used them on a '92 Silverado I had that back in the day, running a 5" front, 7" rear drop. Also ran the BellTech "Nitro Drop" shocks, which IIRC were just relabed Doestch Tech "Nitro Slammer" shocks. Decent shocks, especially for the cheap price. :nod:

Sweetness. Was there a set that is a hair longer than these, or are these the longer of the two you were looking at?

What's it feel like ride wise? I seemed to feel every crack in the road when I had the Koni Yellows on, and to a lesser extent the same with the Burban GR-2s. These Koni Reds are better in that regard, but sometimes too soft...

**** hahahahaa, I think I have a pair of these from a 71 C10 project I had. Ordered drop shocks for it, never put em on the front, found the boxes when I was cleaning out the car. Too bad I'm at stock ride height....

Back