• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 244DL from Greece

ChrisD

Hello all,

time for me to start a thread about my 244, so here is a little bit of history to get things started:

The car is a 1979 244DL with a B19A engine that was bought by my father as a family car back in 1992. Back then I was a little kid and this car was a replacement for an Amazon we had till then, and in my eyes the 244 was super modern and comfy and I enjoyed many road trips and getaways in the back seat of it.
It was a bone stock DL model, with a B19A engine (in Greece it was mostly sold with carb engines and was available with a B17, B19 and B21 engines only), a M45 gearbox, steal rims and only one optional extras: AC!!! That was the main difference from the Amazon that meant the world in the hot summer days and it was the main reason my father did the "upgrade" from the 122!

Fast forward a few years, I grew up, got my driver’s license and somewhere along the way I got the "car bug" and realized that cars were not just a means of transportation, but they could also be fun! So I started learning how car parts work, how to repair them if you can't find spares, what to do if you break down the road with no help etc.
Also started playing "Indiana Jones" in junk yards, looking for "treasure" to make my 244 a bit better. So from time to time and with the help of the internet and this forum I managed to do some upgrades to make the car better, easier to drive and more enjoyable.
So over time I managed to install various big or little upgrades:
- ATS Classic rims
- Power steering (my arms really enjoyed that one!!!)
- M46 (I know it is not a M90, but still beats the M45 plus it was very practical in highways)
- Power windows (Just to show off that my junker had power this and power that from 1979 while my friends 2000+ barely had them)
- Rear seatbelts and headrests (Now days seems illogical for a car to not have these, so I had to add safety features in a car that is a Volvo and is the pioneer of safety)
- RPM gauge in gauge cluster ( I really wonder why it did not come from factory with one)
- Tinted window film, just to protect the rare red interior from the sun.
- Silicone coolant hoses

The car was used by me as my daily till 2004. Since then it was kept in storage and was only used for local historic car meets as it was registered in FIA as a historic vehicle. All this time I was maintaining it the best I could, even though I was barely driving it and I was still collecting “treasure” whenever I could find one.

Now it is time for the car to get back on the road and be a daily again, just because I hate seeing it at the back of the garage, waiting patiently for a little drive. Plus now 240s a cool for a reason, but 20 years ago it was uncool, boxy and ugly for everyone else…so now I can show off too on top of enjoying my old-new daily!!!

So here is a sneak pic of the car from a few years ago, as I don’t have any older ones and I am still trying to figure out how to insert pics in a thread.
10658698_10152566965318525_2981787835068881944_o.jpg

51064523_10156423472383525_1984184430150811648_n.jpg

And now for the good part:
I always wanted to have a turbo engine in this thing from the day I learned that it was available from factory with a turbo engine. However finding a donor car was difficult back then and my skills not allow me to do the swap myself even if I could find one! Furthermore, looking at pics of cars with Kjet and looking at all the hoses and tubing that are needed, compared to the single view of my carb engine, gave me a headache, so I had to forget about it.

But now, I know more things and I am more skilled, I know that KJet is not the way to go and since all my dailies since then where on the “fast side” my turttle slow B19A will not cut it for me anymore so I had to take action!
I managed to use my "Indiana Jones" skills again to source the needed parts for an LH2.4 upgrade along with +T, so join me in this tread to see how I manage that (I really hope I can manage) and some upgrades from parts I collected over the years and turn this thing to a real TurboBrick instead of just a RedBrick that it is now!

Last edited:
Subscribed!. Looking forward to see some progress with the swap. However, you'll lose the historic value by swapping the engine.

Subscribed!. Looking forward to see some progress with the swap. However, you'll lose the historic value by swapping the engine.
I am not swapping the engine! I am just converting from carb to EFI +T!
I also will try to keep as many parts of the +T setup factory and not aftermarket, just to keep it as "original" (or factory) looking as possible, so no monkey bussines here!
Car will still be a matching number and I can always revert back to carb setup if needed!

So far I collected the following parts for the project:
441413831_10160746246518525_7936762829841619990_n.jpg
- 940 B230 intake manifold, complete with TB, fuel rail, injectors and throttle cable.
- 940 Intercooler, along with all the pipework and mounts
- 940 wiring harness
- ECU and EZK for B200FT
- 940 exhaust manifold, turbocharger and downpipe
- idle valve

Still searching and keeping an eye for:
- Fuel sender unit along with fuel pump (Carb has a pulse mechanical pump on the engine block, so the car has only one feed line from tank to intake, and the intank sender unit is just for fuel level)
- MAF sensor
- Lambda sensor
- Oil cooler from B21ET (I don't really like the B230 setup in the pic above)

Anyone has a part number for the MAF sensor for a B200FT setup?

Last edited:
What are you going to do for your turbo drain? If you want to keep it as reversible as possible I'd get a 2nd oil pan and mod that for the turbo oil drain. That's about the only non reversible mod needed.

Looks like a great starting platform and love those wheels!!

What are you going to do for your turbo drain? If you want to keep it as reversible as possible I'd get a 2nd oil pan and mod that for the turbo oil drain. That's about the only non reversible mod needed.

Looks like a great starting platform and love those wheels!!
That is exactly the way I am going to do it. A second pan is in the way, hoping to arrive soon. Will copy the original volvo setup of the turbo kit availabe back in the day

After hybernation I had to replace the tyres with new ones, so I also freshen up the wheels!
It was a nice find in a junk yard 20 years ago, fitted in a 144, so the wheels are older than my car 8-)
441403106_10160746249048525_6875487428527687873_n.jpg

Looking for a set of Virgos to complete the turbo look though and also get something bigger than 14"

While the wheels where out, I took the opertunity to flush the brake fluid and also replace the rear shocks that I feared where shot!
The only set I could find in the local market was Bilstein B4. Would love to get my hands on a set of yellow B6, but that will have to wait fo later. For now I try to get the car running normally again, before I do the turbo upgrade.
441389875_10160746249718525_5875295492449821916_n.jpg

440896817_10160746248493525_6733784797642982789_n.jpg
441404887_10160746248458525_5389095048560279209_n.jpg

Last pic is the old and new shocks. Wile the new one would decompress by itself the old one I compressed by hand upon removal and stayed that way, so replacing them was the right thing to do.

Front ones will have to wait, as I also have a set of lowering springs I want to install and since that is not a quick 30mins job to do it will have to wait for a later date.

Last edited:
Back