• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1994 945 Turbo Ultimate DD Build

Micro update:

Got the ipd lower chassis brace during their black friday sale, painted it black, and installed it today. Also yanked the wheels off to apply some Klasse paint sealant to the front and back sides.

V5WJg6U.jpg

Let us know of any perceived improvements.
Haven't driven it too hard since installing, but I can say that it got rid of a creaking noise that I thought the was the poly sway bar bushings, so it's definitely has reduced some chassis flex. No reduction in ride quality either!

I ported the head using Erland Cox's method. The intake ports were biased towards the floor on the cylinder wall side to help generate swirl as air enters the cylinder. On the exhaust side, I just widened the bend at the top, while leaving the shelf directly above the seat intact.

Intake before and after:
JlPKaYD.jpg
E5aRCVN.jpg

From the other side:

OYsY9e3.jpg

Exhaust before and after:

YtUfc9L.jpg
kS8vVez.jpg

I got a set of 46mm stainless/38mm inconel valves that another member bought during the last group buy.

New manganese bronze guides and viton seals from @culberro

New OEM valve spring kits to replace the small diameter springs that this head had originally.

me6uSVf.jpg
gAy7iPP.jpg
MJuHk1u.jpg
vfqIBBy.jpg
1UoNg55.jpg
IEUGWY9.jpg

Now the head is at the machine shop to cut the valve throat/seats, install the new guides, and machining.

I measured the combustion chamber volume after deshrouding, and settled on having .053" shaved off the head. This should put me around 9.3:1 SCR and 8.6:1 DCR with the IPD turbo cam straight up. I will do a more accurate measure when I get the head back to verify all the cylinders are (relatively) even.

I'll be running 46/38mm valves so I de-shrouded the valves in the combustion chamber.

Before and after:
JRaQYqj.jpg
drbT9oq.jpg
These and the ports look really good! Any plans to dyno it once this is on the car? It would be really interesting to see the differences between the two heads with the same turbo / cam setup.

These and the ports look really good! Any plans to dyno it once this is on the car? It would be really interesting to see the differences between the two heads with the same turbo / cam setup.
Yep, I'll dyno it for sure this spring/summer after street tuning.

Now the head is at the machine shop to cut the valve throat/seats, install the new guides, and machining.

I measured the combustion chamber volume after deshrouding, and settled on having .053" shaved off the head. This should put me around 9.3:1 SCR and 8.6:1 DCR with the IPD turbo cam straight up. I will do a more accurate measure when I get the head back to verify all the cylinders are (relatively) even.
Looks like some excellent work to improve the 530 head.

FYI - with all this work to improve flow, consider another cam. I noted accelerated wear of my old IPD Turbo cam, despite running Mobil 1 and changing it religiously. From what I read here, the IPD cams might be considerably softer than OE materials. Hopefully you have a baseline dyno pull so the head improvement can be measured and documented. Nice work.

Looks like some excellent work to improve the 530 head.

FYI - with all this work to improve flow, consider another cam. I noted accelerated wear of my old IPD Turbo cam, despite running Mobil 1 and changing it religiously. From what I read here, the IPD cams might be considerably softer than OE materials. Hopefully you have a baseline dyno pull so the head improvement can be measured and documented. Nice work.
I've seen the complaints about wear (on the newer billet cams like mine). I haven't seen any evidence of wear in 10k miles. I have a magnetic drain plug and it's always clean when I change the oil, but I'll take a good look at the cam before I swap it into the new head.

I've looked into different cam options, but I don't think it gets any better than the IPD turbo cam for a street car. A 530 head doesn't flow enough to warrant more than 12mm of lift, even with the port work.

Here's the baseline, from May of last year. Haven't changed anything performance-wise since then:
2UowHNK.jpg

So happy this car went to the right home! After filling this car twice with both material valuables and my kids during evacuations to flee raging wildfires that burned half my property, this is a fitting tribute to its heart!

Well done!

Back