• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Round headlight Differences

Ilvmetal

Maybe some one from the Volvo gods can answer this for I've been asked many times and don't know the answer.
I've have Both style round headlight 242 and 244.
One has a small grill in front of the headlight baffle and one does not.
My buddy is doing a swap into a 1980 and has both styles and parts.
What's the difference between models and why?
And which one swaps in the 80 244.
Never seen it discussed here o
1975_Volvo_242_DL_%288940119803%29.jpg
[/IMG]r on Swedspeed

The vented headlight buckets are the early 75 headlights, the ones with chrome around the buckets and grille are the later style, the later style has spacers behind the headlight mounts required for the bulbs to sit properly in the buckets, you remove the spacer if you want to use earlier setups. Both will swap only difference is the headlight spacer.

That first car is 1975 but has 1979+ lamp bezels. The second car has 75-78 bezels. It looks like a 1975 though. I've seen some 78s with the 79+ lamp bezels.

edit: 1977+ had the rear side markers.

Last edited:
Can't see that air dam very well. The bumper looks like the 83-85 US market skinny bumpers. That air dam is custom or aftermarket. The
Swedes like to update the older models from the commando bumpers to the skinny ones.

Yes, but finding new 8” inserts is pretty hard now. No reproduction that I know of.

And the wiper setup on those first years was junk. A motor behind the grille and two cables to each headlight that operates the axles with the wiper arms.

Hey that’s my car!
The early single rounds sit deeper into the car and have those grills underneath. The later ones stick out further and have no grills. The other difference is in the chrome. The early grills have the chrome trim attached to the fenders and the front edge of the hood. The later ones have the chrome on the edge of the headlight bezels and main grill.

Back