• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

"Barn Find" 1980 242.

I've been having issues this year with ethonal, so I finally added a flex fuel sensor.

aLgHRSj.jpeg

qLBJiqa.jpeg

Things got a bit confusing here because I always from the start tuned the car on e85.

The sensor was reading 75% e. After setting the flex settings base map to e85 it was apparent that my base tune was around really about 77% ethonal. With the base map set to e85 and the correction at 75, it would run so lean at idle it would stall.

After a quick adjustment the map correction is perfect again.

I'm very glad I added this sensor. The ethonal content makes a much bigger difference than I thought for idle/driveability. If you aren't running analyzeefi of whatever Everytime you use new e85, would be impossible to tune.

4zpCD47.jpeg

The logic built in for flex fuel the ms3 is pretty damn good. i used it on my car all the way up until i sold it. set all my parameters once and never had a issue with it

The logic built in for flex fuel the ms3 is pretty damn good. i used it on my car all the way up until i sold it. set all my parameters once and never had a issue with it
That's good to hear.

Once I get this 450lph fuel pump in I'll start doing some testing with different fuels. I originally built the car with a 255lph for some reason.

I got my 450lph pump in and a couple good mid throttle pulls in to dial back in the AFR using VE Analyze.

When I went to do the full throttle runs I would get a complete cutout at high rpm rolling into boost. I sent the logs to Kenny and he saw that it was indeed a safety cut.

I double checked the safety's and turned everything off, did a pull and logged it. Ran VE analyze, did a pull, and the same thing happened with a full cutout.

This is when I figured out that Everytime you run VE analyze and save the changes it turns on the AFR safety automatically. I look at my duty cycles and sure enough they are way bigger that they should be. I saw as high as 139%.

Looked at past logs, and again at or over 100% on a lower rev limit and boost.

What's this mean? I'm way over the limit of 1000cc ID injectors on e85. I'm switching over to 210 lb/hr.

This thing just wants to make power. I can't complain.

fPBfHjD.jpeg

I had some winter mods i've been wanted to do. First up, is adding an external wastegate. I used a generic summit 44mm. The placement wasn't super ideal but I really didn't want to redesign and build all new stuff. It should work just fine. Dump tube will be added later.

5l0v7sr.jpg

Second up was converting to VAG coils. These coils have a higher energy than the LS coils plus they eliminate the pesky coil wires. On the plus side I can see the Volvo on the valve cover. There was some discussion that these coils draw too much current for megasquirt. It turns out that is not correct information that has been spread for a while, and even incorrect in the manual. The chips on the MS3X board are rated for 30mA, With these measuring 300ohm on the 5v circuit that's only 16.5mA, so well within the limitations of the chips on the MS3X board. I confirmed with Kenny H. (or I should say he informed me and I double checked)

ct0qHFr.jpg

N4FQhqV.jpg

cQafFtv.jpg

Third is the new exhaust. I've been wanting to do a side exit since the beginning of the project. I finally put it on the screen and ordered the pieces. I order a lot through SendCutSend. This side exit boom tube will be .048" 304 SS. Laser cut and bent on the press brake and then tig welded by me.

nVj1ulA.jpg

650VlJB.jpg

7yLomuP.jpg

A quick cardboard mockup of my new side exit exhaust.

GRGMVGB.jpg

I built a simple dump tube for the external gate. I've been working on improving my weld setup with back-purging and some pulse settings.

4IVv3Ub.jpg

ivxhvuF.jpg

ZUc262Q.jpg

djTDDGH.jpg

YXxKyCk.jpg

I finished up the boom tube. Even though I can Tig weld, I decided to have a friend who is an aerospace welder do the welding on it since I have limited time. He did a amazing job on it.

Since the design triggered a few people on the Facebook TB group, who made sure to use their youtube engineering experience on why it's a bad design, I have to make the disclaimer that this is for fun and is not intended to be the best flowing $45,000 supercar exhaust. It has flat sections just like any chambered muffler would have.

Anywho, here it is...

OS4JTUI.jpg

39vfTTi.jpg

08Hu1kA.jpg

ohmvxEp.jpg

YUE0mCa.jpg

Ooodw1w.jpg

mmm... BoomBoomz!

I would have moved it way back and made a notch in the sill to go as high as i can tho, but whatever, siuts your fancy!

ADam

YXwM0aO.jpeg

4d1Fgho.jpeg

p0tg40v.jpeg

It's a. It hard to see, but I have it mounted to the frame rail with a silicone isolated bracket, and in another spot on the resonator to the cross member un-used bolt hole

Envious of that aerospace Engineer's TIG welds. You've got an outboard mount near the rocker, correct?

Back