• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Faulty new Aisin tropical fan clutch?

Xeroni

MPG?
Some background. I bought the 92 240 with a blown head gasket. Block was fine but the head had severe corrosion, I put on a new gasket and spare head I had laying around with a new Nissens radiator and 82* thermostat and bypassed the temp comp board.

Since then I've gone through the rest of the cooling system since it was old and nasty looking (hoses and such), or leaking (water pump, heater control valve).

The only issue I've had is the car starts to overhead once it's warmed up and sitting idle for a few minutes, eg: a long light or busy drive through. The temps slowly creep up over the next few minutes until it gets close to the red and I pop it into neutral and bring the revs up, which brings the temp down.

I noticed the fan would only spin fast on start up for a bit until the revs went up then never really made noise after that. I threw on a new tropical fan clutch I had to see it if it would help and the massive improvement in the amount of air flow at idle after starting it was hopeful.

Then I drove it around and had the same issue. Still overheated but the temps would fall a lot quicker when revved or once I started moving. The amount of airflow I felt through the fan at idle was pretty much the same as the old stock one.

Should I just say screw keeping it stock and through on a 940 efan or could this fan clutch be bad as well?

did you store the fan clutch upright for 24 hrs before installing?

sometimes if you lay them flat you fuck them up.

I would double check the cam timing. If the timing is retarded it can cause the engine to heat up when idling. Make sure your harmonic balancer isn't slipping.

That would suck if it's dead because of how it's stored.
I would double check the cam timing. If the timing is retarded it can cause the engine to heat up when idling. Make sure your harmonic balancer isn't slipping.
Can timing is good, I verified using the #1 piston when I did the belt last. The balancer does have some cracking so that could be the problem.

Can timing is good, I verified using the #1 piston when I did the belt last. The balancer does have some cracking so that could be the problem.
If you check with the timing light and it shows correct then it hasn't slipped, but if the timing seems all over the place then it is more than likely the balancer slipping

I've always been skeptical of the "don't lay the fan flat" flatulence.
I've no evidence that this is an issue, it just sounds dumb to me.

Can you check the inlet and outlet temps of the coolant in the radiator?
I wonder if your "new" radiator is not flowing well.

If you check with the timing light and it shows correct then it hasn't slipped, but if the timing seems all over the place then it is more than likely the balancer slipping
Oh yeah it's slipping. The marks didn't even line up when I went to put a paint pen on it.

Can you check the inlet and outlet temps of the coolant in the radiator?
I wonder if your "new" radiator is not flowing well.
Wouldn't be surprised with the quality of aftermarket parts nowadays.

I didn't have any new crank pulleys in storage but I did have these:

AP1GczOCi7cZ_uWS3JTzWiZn82MnYeWSgK1qUOQBZp0VX21sl9M0Vj-Gc2-VivCSWAxArBO3UrMdQK24ADi6ZWOoxmAayQne_qS2nU5a0YJCg1kWGiUvCmyrDOCGRLwUNsUD0mtXYa7p5E7zgyFgme7tpoaFOA=w1918-h1439-s-no

The fan from my old 940 and a Nissens radiator from 2016 that had a thread in temp sensor. One Beck/Arnley 201-1612 later and now I have low and high speed control. I even wired in the high speed to the old A/C pusher fan so either could turn it on. You might be able to spy the new compressor.

They leak out the seal in the back.
Do you also immediately start your refrigerator after laying it flat to transport it?

Back