Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Main bearings do not fit (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=303612)

OldGrandpaTune 12-07-2014 08:23 PM

Main bearings do not fit
 
Are we supposed to trim these to fit? I worked all day, and maybe something really stupid on my part is going on.

Here are the bearings:

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...pse6655287.jpg

And this is the label on the box:

http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps030e94c8.jpg

lummert 12-07-2014 08:34 PM

Part number on the box appears to be correct. Was the box open when you received it?

hiperfauto 12-07-2014 08:55 PM

Your block is a center thrust with 55mm journals. The bearings you have are for a rear thrust with 63mm journals. You need part# 271236 std main bearing set and part# 270471 thrust bearing set.

OldGrandpaTune 12-07-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiperfauto (Post 5054517)
Your block is a center thrust with 55mm journals. The bearings you have are for a rear thrust with 63mm journals. You need part# 271236 std main bearing set and part# 270471 thrust bearing set.

Awesome glad i just screwed up. Got different year motor.

OldGrandpaTune 12-07-2014 09:11 PM

Anyone who wants the wrong set let me know. I'll send them over.

quillc 12-08-2014 01:12 PM

I'm interested. Located in 98367.

theknave 12-08-2014 01:24 PM

Is this a B230 block? Is there more than one type of B230 block?

OldGrandpaTune 12-08-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theknave (Post 5054921)
Is this a B230 block? Is there more than one type of B230 block?

This is a B230FT block. The older ones had smaller crank journals and main bearings, and the thrust bearing was in the middle. In 1989 they switched to larger bearings and moved the thrust bearing.

OldGrandpaTune 12-08-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quillc (Post 5054912)
I'm interested. Located in 98367.

PM me your address. This is a brand new standard main and thrust bearing set that is for 89 and later. I'll get them packed up and mailed to you this weekend. This one is on the house.

John V, outside agitator 12-08-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5054536)
Anyone who wants the wrong set let me know. I'll send them over.

Your bearings are fine.

It's your block and crank that are wrong.
See? Its all a matter of perspective.

John V, outside agitator 12-08-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5055108)
This is a B230FT block. The older ones had smaller crank journals and main bearings, and the thrust bearing was in the middle. In 1989 they switched to larger bearings and moved the thrust bearing.

And folks have determined that with a little lookin' and thinking a guy could use two sets of thrusts and have full 360 thrusts...

iHateVolvoPeople 12-08-2014 08:24 PM

Johns right, you need to buy a <89 motor to suit your new bearings.

OldGrandpaTune 12-08-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator (Post 5055131)
Your bearings are fine.

It's your block and crank that are wrong.
See? Its all a matter of perspective.

Okay now I am tripping. Johnny V is looking at the sunny side of life.

Rookie mistake, but we have to suck up our stupid stuff along with the wins. Hopefully this thread will help someone some day double check despite what an expert writes in a paint pen on the motor. When you order main bearings MEASURE THE CRANK JOURNALS.

Had some way more expensive lessons in life than 70 bucks though, usually involving a woman.

turbotankshane 12-08-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5055186)
Had some way more expensive lessons in life than 70 bucks though, usually involving a woman.

Yeah but usually the tbricks problems can be solved by switching to the newest, youngest specimen available...
whereas these problems with women usually start because of switching to the newest youngest specimen available:-P

theknave 12-08-2014 10:49 PM

Helped me out, so there's one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5055186)
Had some way more expensive lessons in life than 70 bucks though, usually involving a woman.

This.

iHateVolvoPeople 12-08-2014 10:52 PM

Were you 'shopping for my vehicle' on iPd with a >89 car but you have a <89 motor? Sorry for confusion

John V, outside agitator 12-08-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5055186)
Okay now I am tripping. Johnny V is looking at the sunny side of life.

I always look at the sunny side of life...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ECUtkv2qV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gtlover 12-09-2014 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGrandpaTune (Post 5055186)
Had some way more expensive lessons in life than 70 bucks though, usually involving a woman.

If it has tits, tires; floats, or flies, you'll have problems.
My wife wants an amphibious airplane.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.