• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Who's the native megasquirt guru?

A little more info is in order… what are you looking to do?

I suppose it depends. I probably have the most experience with all of the eclectic flavors... but I'm not sure I'd say I'm a guru. What are you trying to do

Full engine management, sequential twin turbo, I6...not a big deal there I suppose.
Some PWM out for wastegate(s) and/or valve control.
Some PWM for a butterfly for a variable length intake runner setup ala Ford SPI.
Gizmo...an encoder or pot as an input for max boost.
All modern conveniences of course.

Add in shift control for a Ford 6R transmission, and I think I/O becomes problematic on the same platform. Perhaps with a sequential shifter or a repurposed video game shifter joystick.
Yeah, I/O looks to be problematic.
Maybe two different controllers? Dunno.

Mostly I don't mind doing the work, but I really am completely over the hacker crap and need some input on baseline hardware and solid starting points for baseline code.

Last edited:
so for the top bit minus the transmission control, you're looking at an ms3pro of some flavor to do all of those things, and some creative table setup to accomplish it, but that's all natively implemented already.

on the transmission control, that'd likely be a separate controller, and the answer there will depend. I'm not all that familiar with that particular transmission, so I don't know exactly what is involved with getting it to work.

so for the top bit minus the transmission control, you're looking at an ms3pro of some flavor to do all of those things, and some creative table setup to accomplish it, but that's all natively implemented already.

on the transmission control, that'd likely be a separate controller, and the answer there will depend. I'm not all that familiar with that particular transmission, so I don't know exactly what is involved with getting it to work.

Figured...
Who's got a good box/connector setup for the ms3pro?
I'm agnostic on connector type.
Is Delphi still rocking? I suppose I should use native Ford because that's the hardware.

Basic laptop OK for programming?
How about my MS surface tablet on Win10?
Any bonus software?
What about datalogging?

FWIW the tranny looks doable, and has been done with an arduino. A different platform is fine, but it would be cool to have some comm bus between the two if needed. Good old 232 is fast enough to throw errors and the other stuff a tranny needs. Hell, we used to do kickdown with a stick FFS.

that one has the most io.

basic laptops are fine, the surface running 10 should be fine as well.

as far as tuning and datalogging, megalogviewer and tunerstudio (it comes with a TS license IIRC but not the log viewer software). The log viewer will work unlicensed, but it limits the length of datalogs you can open. If you buy both from efianalytics I think it's around $100.

the micro trans controller project *may* work with that transmission, but I don't know for sure

that one has the most io.

basic laptops are fine, the surface running 10 should be fine as well.

as far as tuning and datalogging, megalogviewer and tunerstudio (it comes with a TS license IIRC but not the log viewer software). The log viewer will work unlicensed, but it limits the length of datalogs you can open. If you buy both from efianalytics I think it's around $100.

the micro trans controller project *may* work with that transmission, but I don't know for sure
Hmmm...
Is there a PLC or other code platform that can run in the box beside the engine management functions?

A couple grand isn't unreasonable at all.

not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean you couldn't I reckon. There has been talk about integrating trans control into the pro box, but I'm not sure if that's gone anywhere

not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean you couldn't I reckon. There has been talk about integrating trans control into the pro box, but I'm not sure if that's gone anywhere

Seems like there's enough processing power there to expose at least a part of the native code. I haven't looked. What's the base processor/programming IDE they wrote megasquirt with and for?
NVM...I found it.
Assember by these guys.
http://www.pemicro.com/
MS project is here.
http://www.megamanual.com/Tutorial.htm

Ugh, assembler.

Last edited:
The original MegaSquirt I firmware was written in assembly, but all the newer MSextra firmware is C code. In the past, the source code was released, but they may not be releasing it anymore due to unauthorized use on pirated hardware. See some of the stickied topics at: https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=125

What do you want to customize? MS supports using some simple equations for programmable output ports (see the tunerstudio docs).

The original MegaSquirt I firmware was written in assembly, but all the newer MSextra firmware is C code. In the past, the source code was released, but they may not be releasing it anymore due to unauthorized use on pirated hardware. See some of the stickied topics at: https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=125

What do you want to customize? MS supports using some simple equations for programmable output ports (see the tunerstudio docs).

Interesting.

Not sure, but I'd like the option.
Multi input control of exhaust gates comes to mind.
Butterfly valve control of variable length intakes.
Boost control based on multiple inputs.
Nothing that needs to be interrupt speed.

I'll look at the programming environment, those are things I might just be able to hack with existing capabilities.

yeah it's got several programmable tables that can act on generic inputs and other things along those lines, so you might be able to do what you want without writing any bespoke code. the multiple inputs for boost control may be a little tricky, but I haven't spent a lot of time working that out (I probably should on the blue car, it's got a dial on the dash and it floats between separate maps based on ethanol % already, wonder if it could be used to further restrict max boost or act like an adder)

If you want to poke around with the MS capabilities, you can download the latest firmware and the lite (free) version of TunerStudio, then open up TunerStudio on you PC desktop and wander though the dizzying array of different configuration screens. If you find something you like, ask the experts here how well it works and how difficult it is to tune (there's lots of stuff in MS3 that I've never seen before).

The MS firmware zip files can be downloaded from here: https://www.msextra.com/downloads/
And tunerstudio from here: http://www.tunerstudio.com/index.php/downloads
The main TS version runs in lite mode until you pay for a registration code. The paid version has autotune, better logging capabilities, and a few other things, but the lite version should be plenty to look at configuration options.

Once downloaded, search the zip file for the tune_files/ directory and copy the desired .msq file to your desktop (the .msq file is the main tunerstudio and MS configuration file). For example, for MS3pro, copy this file to your desktop:
ms3-release-1.5.1.zip\ms3-release-1.5.1\tune_files\default-1.5.1-ms3pro.msq

Install tunerstudio. Once done, you should be able to double-click on the .msq file and it will allow you to open a temporary project to look at the config capabilities.

Welll...
After digging around some it turns out the Ford 6R transmission is an SOB to control.
A serious SOB.
Looks like calibrated PWM on all the shift solenoids...the valve body comes with a calibration code that needs to be loaded into the controller.
There's one company that claims to have done it but the verdict's out on how well their learning mode works.
The TCU and ECU are integrated, so no love splitting that up either.
The GM version looks to be even worse.
Too bad.

Back