Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I know its not rwd but I need help xc90 (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=361026)

Wilford Brimley 07-06-2021 12:12 PM

I know its not rwd but I need help xc90
 
So my 04 t5 xc90 has this odd thing where its really smooth up to 50,55 ish and up where it seems to tremor under acceleration, it's good up till that speed and i don't even know where to start with it

HiSPL 07-06-2021 01:39 PM

It'll most likely be either the CV axle or the Tie Rod ends.

If it only happens on power I'd look at the axles. If it randomly does it on or off power, tie rod ends.


Could also be ball joints, bad shock, bad tire, or even subframe bushings, but I'd start with the CV axle.

Wilford Brimley 07-06-2021 02:15 PM

Only under power

Jeh 07-06-2021 07:03 PM

Most likely its the axles.

Wilford Brimley 07-06-2021 07:46 PM

I'll check thanks guys

GTJordan 07-06-2021 07:52 PM

If everything is tight in the suspension (tie rods and ball joints- use a pry bar and pry down on the control arm between arm and spindle to check for play), then likely axles. I've also had a rumble under acceleration from the front CV joint on the prop shaft assuming it is AWD.

Wilford Brimley 07-06-2021 07:56 PM

It is awd

Wilford Brimley 07-06-2021 09:34 PM

https://youtu.be/E3MeGFeyhgo a link to what might be a bad tie rod? It moves pretty easily

Wilford Brimley 07-07-2021 11:45 AM

I dont mean to pry but I'm supposed to take my kids camping over the mountains in a few days and hope to figure this out:) thnx again guys

GTJordan 07-07-2021 01:39 PM

No the rotation is normal. You need to lift the front wheel off the ground. Support the car but let the suspension dangle.

Grab the wheel side to side and now shake quickly. Does it knock back and forth? If so, get someone to shake it and look at the tie rod, put your hand on tie rod, is it moving around where it enters the spindle? Bad tie rod.

While up in the air, check the ball joint with the description I listed above.

Jordan

Wilford Brimley 07-07-2021 03:10 PM

Thanks dude.

Wilford Brimley 09-12-2022 03:34 PM

So I changed the tie rods and motor/tranny mounts and if you push the gas pedal at like 60mph the damn thing shimmys like it's got death wobble from hell:omg: still

GTJordan 09-12-2022 05:19 PM

Anything when decelerating?

Only does it under load?

I'm going to assume everything suspension is tight, control arm bushings are in good shape, upper spring seats aren't torn. That sort of thing.

Could it be a transmission slipping/shuddering issue?

Axle or prop shaft is where I'd go. If I were diagnosing this at work (it would be easier for me) but I'd probably pop the prop shaft out and look at the front CV joint of it. Is it bound up? Drive it with the prop shaft out. If the vibration is gone, it is prop shaft or rear. If it is still there, it is something in the front.

Things I have seen that cause vibration under load at highway speed.

Missfires - typically have a pending code set but I have seen no flashing CEL/codes on some.
transmission slipping (this is uncommon for me to see in the flat land, but I've seen a few on cars that come from the mountains)
Prop shaft front CV joint seized. This usually causes a vibration that gets worse as speed increases. I have had more than a few that were only under a load though
Front axles. I haven't had to change many on XC90 and P2 chassis honestly. Unless the boot has been torn open for the last 6 years.
Rear axles usually cause a "pop" noise when turning under load. Only had one or two. Never a vibration under load.
AOC unit- usually vibrates if the tires are the wrong size, worn an excessive amount, different brands front to rear etc.

dl242gt 09-12-2022 05:21 PM

Must have some bad suspension bushings? How did the axles check out? Wheel bearings all felt good? If it's still only under power and the axles are fine. Then I'd look closely at the suspension.

nel621 09-13-2022 02:05 PM

Try something simple first. Have your tires Road Force Balanced.

HiSPL 09-13-2022 02:13 PM

I still say its the CV axle.

GTJordan 09-13-2022 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nel621 (Post 6286016)
Try something simple first. Have your tires Road Force Balanced.

A vibration under load, is almost guaranteed to not be a road force issue. A good road force balance is not cheap either, specially if you have to start swapping tires on rims. I start at 2.0 hrs for a road force balance.

Jordan

Wilford Brimley 09-15-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTJordan (Post 6285857)
Anything when decelerating?

Only does it under load?

I'm going to assume everything suspension is tight, control arm bushings are in good shape, upper spring seats aren't torn. That sort of thing.

Could it be a transmission slipping/shuddering issue?

Axle or prop shaft is where I'd go. If I were diagnosing this at work (it would be easier for me) but I'd probably pop the prop shaft out and look at the front CV joint of it. Is it bound up? Drive it with the prop shaft out. If the vibration is gone, it is prop shaft or rear. If it is still there, it is something in the front.

Things I have seen that cause vibration under load at highway speed.

Missfires - typically have a pending code set but I have seen no flashing CEL/codes on some.
transmission slipping (this is uncommon for me to see in the flat land, but I've seen a few on cars that come from the mountains)
Prop shaft front CV joint seized. This usually causes a vibration that gets worse as speed increases. I have had more than a few that were only under a load though
Front axles. I haven't had to change many on XC90 and P2 chassis honestly. Unless the boot has been torn open for the last 6 years.
Rear axles usually cause a "pop" noise when turning under load. Only had one or two. Never a vibration under load.
AOC unit- usually vibrates if the tires are the wrong size, worn an excessive amount, different brands front to rear etc.

There is a super loud pop coming from what sounds like the front when turning and reversing, or extreme braking. The shutter is ONLY under power it's weird

Jack leg 09-15-2022 10:34 AM

I had almost the exact same issue in my 06 Honda Odyssey. Ended up being one or both of the CV axles. Both axles seemed fine when I pulled then but after I test drove it with the new axles the van was back to normal.

Wilford Brimley 09-15-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack leg (Post 6286444)
I had almost the exact same issue in my 06 Honda Odyssey. Ended up being one or both of the CV axles. Both axles seemed fine when I pulled then but after I test drove it with the new axles the van was back to normal.

Ok I'll look into that and the other suggestions thanks a ton guys

Wilford Brimley 09-15-2022 12:30 PM

Also is it OK to disconnect the shaft and drive to see if that's the issue

GTJordan 09-15-2022 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley (Post 6286466)
Also is it OK to disconnect the shaft and drive to see if that's the issue

Which shaft?

The prop shaft has to be taken out of the pinions on both ends. You can't leave one in. I remove it completely when I'm at work.

You can't remove a front axle and drive it.

The popping while turning makes it sound even more like a bad front axle (or your bevel gear has completely failed, but you'd be hearing alllllll sorts of other terrible noises)

Jordan

Wilford Brimley 09-15-2022 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTJordan (Post 6286563)
Which shaft?

The prop shaft has to be taken out of the pinions on both ends. You can't leave one in. I remove it completely when I'm at work.

You can't remove a front axle and drive it.

The popping while turning makes it sound even more like a bad front axle (or your bevel gear has completely failed, but you'd be hearing alllllll sorts of other terrible noises)

Jordan

I was referring to the rear axle, my mistake...also there aren't a ton of bad nosies at all just the aforementioned pop. I watched a video of removal...doesn't look bad except where the (haldex?) Side gets kinda stuck

ZVOLV 09-15-2022 11:11 PM

I guess bad front axles.

GTJordan 09-16-2022 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley (Post 6286583)
I was referring to the rear axle, my mistake...also there aren't a ton of bad nosies at all just the aforementioned pop. I watched a video of removal...doesn't look bad except where the (haldex?) Side gets kinda stuck

I have a punch that I've bent at about a 45 degree angle that can be inserted in the unthreaded hole, then the punch hit with a hammer to pop it out. Some can be a real pain. The front one will either fall out, or it is going to suck since there isn't as much room as the rear.

Jordan


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.