Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   aftermarket engine management (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Microsquirt ALED channel crapping out (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=358467)

kyote 12-31-2020 10:57 AM

Microsquirt ALED channel crapping out
 
On the Mail Jeep, ALED was/is used to control EFAN.
This channel seems to have given up the ghost, was working intermittently and now not at all.
Is this a board level component than can be replaced?
Originally was driving a Volvo EFAN relay, now driving an 80A cube relay.
Please help me free the old man from being tethered to a switch based EFAN setup :)

bobxyz 12-31-2020 11:47 AM

ALED (aka D16) is driven by a generic 3904 NPN transistor (Q8), $0.05 plus shipping. How do you have the relay wired? LED pin to one side of the relay coil, and the other side of the relay coil to switched +12V?

Before taking anything apart, I'd try the I/O Test Modes menu in Tuner Studio and see if turning on and off LED D16 lights up the ALED and/or runs the fan. Depending on where the fan relay is getting power, you might need to enable the fuel pump relay first.

edit: nevermind, you're talking MicroSquirt, not MegaSquirt. MicroSquirt drives the ALED pin with a 3NV04D mosfet driver - 8pin surface mount chip. It might be replaceable by someone with surface mount rework equipment. I'd check the wiring first.

kyote 12-31-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobxyz (Post 6142136)
ALED (aka D16) is driven by a generic 3904 NPN transistor (Q8), $0.05 plus shipping. How do you have the relay wired? LED pin to one side of the relay coil, and the other side of the relay coil to switched +12V?

Before taking anything apart, I'd try the I/O Test Modes menu in Tuner Studio and see if turning on and off LED D16 lights up the ALED and/or runs the fan. Depending on where the fan relay is getting power, you might need to enable the fuel pump relay first.

edit: nevermind, you're talking MicroSquirt, not MegaSquirt. MicroSquirt drives the ALED pin with a 3NV04D mosfet driver - 8pin surface mount chip. It might be replaceable by someone with surface mount rework equipment. I'd check the wiring first.

Wiring good, if I ground the wire headed to microsquirt fan comes on.
No way I can do surface mount, hands too shaky, but surely someone can :)

bobxyz 12-31-2020 12:57 PM

Yeah, my nerves and eyesight make SMT work pretty difficult these days. A cell phone repair shop might be able to swap the part if you get a replacement from digikey.com. I'll see if I have a picture somewhere of the board/part.

Do you have any other spare MicroSquirt outputs that you could use instead of ALED?

kyote 12-31-2020 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobxyz (Post 6142144)
Yeah, my nerves and eyesight make SMT work pretty difficult these days. A cell phone repair shop might be able to swap the part if you get a replacement from digikey.com. I'll see if I have a picture somewhere of the board/part.

Do you have any other spare MicroSquirt outputs that you could use instead of ALED?

The highlighted are in use (obviously ALED no working).
Can I use a SPAREADC channel to drive the fan relay?

bobxyz 12-31-2020 01:59 PM

Sorry, it looks like only the 4 pins in yellow can be used for coolant temperature based fan control using "programmable output" mode. Are you running a DSM CAS with full sequential spark?

kyote 12-31-2020 02:12 PM

Running LH 2.4 style CPS and LS Coil Near Plug setup.
That is what I thought, wonder if anyone on TB got the Surface Mount Touch?

bobxyz 12-31-2020 02:46 PM

I'm assuming you're using one wire (spark a,b,c,d) per coil? If the coils are true "logic level" coils, you could double them up with two coils per spark wire and use wasted spark mode. This would free up the spark c,d wires for fan control and a spare.

kyote 12-31-2020 04:03 PM

Micro only has 2 spark channels, you would use ALED and WLED for 4 channel spark (LS, etc.).

linuxman51 01-01-2021 11:53 AM

you can send it back to diy for repair.

142 guy 01-01-2021 01:18 PM

SMD repair on low pin count chips isn't that bad. The biggest hassle is getting the old chip off unless you have a hot air rework station. Sparkfun or Adafruit have a tutorial on soldering in SMD chips using flux, a soldering iron and solder wick. Works quite well although it probably causes the professionals to gag. I found that it helps to use a dab of cyanoacrylate to keep the chip in place so that you don't move it around on the pads when re soldering with the iron or re flowing with the hot air rework device. Oh, and for those over 40 a an optivisor can help with seeing what you are doing.

If you don't have the patience then sending off to DIY is probably best.

kyote 01-01-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 142 guy (Post 6142391)
SMD repair on low pin count chips isn't that bad. The biggest hassle is getting the old chip off unless you have a hot air rework station. Sparkfun or Adafruit have a tutorial on soldering in SMD chips using flux, a soldering iron and solder wick. Works quite well although it probably causes the professionals to gag. I found that it helps to use a dab of cyanoacrylate to keep the chip in place so that you don't move it around on the pads when re soldering with the iron or re flowing with the hot air rework device. Oh, and for those over 40 a an optivisor can help with seeing what you are doing.

If you don't have the patience then sending off to DIY is probably best.

I am confident that I can solder, but like I said my hands are too shaky for something that tiny and sensitive.

I will likely just send to DIY for repair, did not know that was an option.

Thanks for all the input dudes!

kyote 08-28-2021 12:25 PM

Back with an update.
Sent to Diyautotune to repair, no problem found.
Hmm...
Ran in a switch until today...

... Broken wire at the relay on the ECU switched side ;)

Working like a cham peen!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.