Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   performance & modifications (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oil for an M410 (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=360237)

spock345 05-06-2021 07:52 PM

Oil for an M410
 
Any recommendations on oil for an M410? I assume it has the same GL-4 restriction as the M40/41 for gear oil. Does redline MTL work or should I just go pick up some SAE 30?

Anything I should do with the gearbox before I pop it into the car?

Edit: I just noticed I put this in performance, if a mod sees it please move it to maintenance.

planetman 05-06-2021 10:30 PM

Volvo recommended 30wt engine oil and we prefer to use 30wt non-detergent.

Redwood Chair 05-06-2021 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spock345 (Post 6182118)

Edit: I just noticed I put this in performance, if a mod sees it please move it to maintenance.

:lol:

M410 oil is the new performance.

mikep 05-07-2021 10:48 AM

repost
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=360210

mikep 05-07-2021 10:49 AM

moved to where the real automotive geniuses hang out.

Redwood Chair 05-07-2021 03:05 PM

:lol:

Off topic is the new performance.

spock345 05-07-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 6182392)
:lol:

Off topic is the new performance.

Maybe everything is performance?

VB242 05-08-2021 07:48 AM

Every MT I've put Pennzoil Synchromesh in has worked better afterwards.

leecatd8209 05-08-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VB242 (Post 6182562)
Every MT I've put Pennzoil Synchromesh in has worked better afterwards.

This or Redline MTL is all I've ever put in anything.

MTL is somewhat temperature sensitive, if you live in a cold climate it likes a little warm up time.

mikep 05-08-2021 08:54 AM

If any archaic spec ever calls for engine oil in a trans, use motorcycle oil (4T). Many automotive oils do not play nicely with transmissions. Use the MB spec (not compatible with wet clutches) for any brass/bronze etc synchros. Or you can use ATF like I do. or transaxle lube, MTL, etc as long as you know it is compatible with your type of synchros.
If you have synchros with friction material, use 4T MA (compatible with wet clutches).

OttoB 05-08-2021 01:56 PM

Im going to try Mobil Delvac on my M410. Positive comments from wet-clutch motor-cycle guys, so why not

mikep 05-09-2021 06:48 AM

If you mean the sae 50 transmission oil, sure. But the wet clutch guys are lying to themselves or have no power.

spock345 05-09-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikep (Post 6182569)
If any archaic spec ever calls for engine oil in a trans, use motorcycle oil (4T). Many automotive oils do not play nicely with transmissions. Use the MB spec (not compatible with wet clutches) for any brass/bronze etc synchros. Or you can use ATF like I do. or transaxle lube, MTL, etc as long as you know it is compatible with your type of synchros.
If you have synchros with friction material, use 4T MA (compatible with wet clutches).

I am assuming the M410, given its relation to the M40/41 has synchros that are susceptible to GL5 eating them. I don't think there is any friction material.

Although I do wonder how the 4T oil plays with the cone clutch in the overdrive.

VB242 05-09-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spock345 (Post 6182882)
I am assuming the M410, given its relation to the M40/41 has synchros that are susceptible to GL5 eating them. I don't think there is any friction material.

Although I do wonder how the 4T oil plays with the cone clutch in the overdrive.

It's the sulfur in the GL5 EP gear oil that eats up bronze synchronizers, I made that mistake with my Toyota Matrix but the manual called our GL4 or GL5, Toyota rebuilt the transmission under warranty. The oil was very pretty, like Goldschlager in the drain pan.

mikep 05-09-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spock345 (Post 6182882)
I am assuming the M410, given its relation to the M40/41 has synchros that are susceptible to GL5 eating them. I don't think there is any friction material.

Although I do wonder how the 4T oil plays with the cone clutch in the overdrive.

I can try it out.

When I worked on British cars we used sae90 or ATF, depending on how hard it would be used. (atf for abuse, 90 for quiet operation in show cars). And we shifted them into OD without the clutch, under power.

c1800 05-10-2021 01:02 AM

Redline MTL

Harry Tuttle 05-10-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikep (Post 6182948)
we shifted them into OD without the clutch, under power.

:mods:

:zeeall:

90volvo 05-10-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VB242 (Post 6182562)
Every MT I've put Pennzoil Synchromesh in has worked better afterwards.

yelp I tried every kind of oil/fluid in my m47 back when I was running it. The pennz synchromesh worked better than any expensive stuff out there.

mikep 05-10-2021 09:39 PM

good to know. I like finding new stuff to try.

spock345 05-16-2021 03:42 PM

Non detergent SAE 30 was on sale at the local Napa for ~$2 a quart. So I just stocked up on that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.