Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   maintenance & nonperformance (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bleeding brake system without opening FR caliper valves? (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=362895)

QueenTheCar 11-24-2021 02:36 PM

Bleeding brake system without opening FR caliper valves?

The valves on my front right caliper (a brand new "Cardone" knockoff) are wayy to tight to open, even after trying heat and penetrating oil. There is hella air in the system from replacing all four calipers and the soft lines in the front. Is there a way to get enough air out through the other calipers for the system to be functional?

Redwood Chair 11-24-2021 02:50 PM

No.

Redwood Chair 11-24-2021 02:59 PM

You have to cool the brass fitting with an ice cube after heating since non ferrous expands at twice the rate of ferrous.

Mr. V 11-24-2021 03:33 PM

I'd remove the caliper from the car and put it in a vise to try and work the stuck fitting off as stated above.

If it breaks you can either drill it out, re-tap it and put in and oversize fitting or simply toss it and buy a new one.

cleanflametrap 11-24-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 6233606)
You have to cool the brass fitting with an ice cube after heating since non ferrous expands at twice the rate of ferrous.

Isn't this about bleeder valves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenTheCar (Post 6233597)
The valves on my front right caliper (a brand new "Cardone" knockoff) are wayy to tight to open, even after trying heat and penetrating oil. ...

Being hollow, I'm always afraid to put any slow brute force on these, so I will (in the case of the original 8mm bleeders) put the box end of an 8mm combo wrench on the bleeder valve and knock at the the wrench with a small ballpein hammer. Haven't broken one this way ... yet. Surely have the other way. :grrr:

Redwood Chair 11-24-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanflametrap (Post 6233626)
Isn't this about bleeder valves?

:nod:

Same principle but better odds with like materials.

2turbotoys 11-24-2021 11:20 PM

Return/replace the caliper as defective, Cardone will do that.

Edit: A Cardone knock off? How about buying a better brand? A Cardone knockoff is like buying the generic version of a generic version of something, don't do that

QueenTheCar 11-25-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 6233606)

Makes sense! Made some ice cubes overnight and will try this after turkey.

QueenTheCar 11-25-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2turbotoys (Post 6233703)
A Cardone knock off? How about buying a better brand? A Cardone knockoff is like buying the generic version of a generic version of something, don't do that

Is Cardone a reputable caliper brand? Pretty sure its the actual Cardone brand, which as it is is a knockoff of the Volvo ones.

I suspect they cast their own calipers instead of rebuilding original Volvo ones cuz the casting quality was hella blobby. Not only that but the bleeder valves use an odd size wrench somewhere in between 1/4 and 7/32. AND they make them too damn tight to open without destroying.

Don't buy Cardone calipers!!

Redwood Chair 11-25-2021 12:48 PM

n00b

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenTheCar (Post 6233753)
Makes sense! Made some ice cubes overnight and will try this after turkey.

Furthermore you should have thouroughly & completely bled each corner after replacing components, otherwise you may get air stuck in the rear proportioning valves.

Bad juju very bad juju.

:grrr:

Redwood Chair 11-25-2021 12:54 PM

And don't forget the cleanflametrap brake stick™ when you do have the system open.

http://cleanflametrap.com/brake48.jpg

MasterBlaster 11-26-2021 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenTheCar (Post 6233597)
The valves on my front right caliper (a brand new "Cardone" knockoff) are wayy to tight to open

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenTheCar (Post 6233756)
Not only that but the bleeder valves use an odd size wrench somewhere in between 11/16 and 5/8.

Um... 11/16? 5/8? That seems awfully huge for a bleeder.
You sure you're trying to unscrew the right part?

Here's a Rockauto Cardone Reman RF caliper for a 1979 245 with vented rotors.

The center bleeder seems to be screwed into an adapter of some kind, possibly to repair previously stripped bleeder threads. If that's what it is, you do NOT want to unscrew it.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/1/19428-bot__ra_p.jpg

QueenTheCar 11-26-2021 03:44 AM

My bad i misremembered the sizes :oops: :oops:
The size of the bleeder valves was actually somewhere between 1/4 and 7/32, without any adapter fitting.

I appreciate the research tho man!

After spending hours trying the ice cube trick to no avail I ended up bleeding the RF from the flare nut fittings where the mini hard lines go into the caliper: Open flare nut, press pedal, cleanflametrap brake stick™, close flare nut, release pedal, repeat. Now both front calipers seem to clamp down equally strong. (although the rears aren't great it should be enough to stop the car)

Mega pissed at Cardone for making their bleeder valves so stupidly tight that unscrewing rusted 43 year old ones seemed like a walk in the park.

Radtap 11-27-2021 02:10 PM

Sure it isn’t 8mm?

Redwood Chair 11-27-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radtap (Post 6234084)
Sure it isn’t 8mm?

On OE brakes it is.

MarioDrivesaBrick 11-30-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwood Chair (Post 6233765)
And don't forget the cleanflametrap brake stick™ when you do have the system open.

http://cleanflametrap.com/brake48.jpg

At what point is this done when opening a brake system?

Redwood Chair 11-30-2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioDrivesaBrick (Post 6234831)
At what point is this done when opening a brake system?

Before opening the system to prevent flow from the MC.