Turbobricks Forums

Turbobricks Forums (https://forums.turbobricks.com/index.php)
-   the vault (https://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Electric Fan Conversion (https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=1572)

765tiME 05-04-2006 11:54 PM

OK, I'll bite...

I found a fan (forget from what... Ford?) 17" and fits near perfect in the existing shroud provided for the stock fan (760 b230 etc.). But it only just interferes with waterpump studs. Anyone have a source for short waterpump studs or P/N? Anyone have a single pulley setup? I'm about >1/4" away from having it fit. With Dremel I've taken about as much material away from the Ford? housing as I am comfortable with...

...OK and so I followed the link in the last post and what do you know? I think thats the same fan! I'm in the same boat.. except that instead of the 5+ inches of clearance I have an intercooler and am right up against the water pump studs with the same setup. Hmmmm.

PetesDustyVolvo 05-07-2006 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 765tiME
OK, I'll bite...

I found a fan (forget from what... Ford?) 17" and fits near perfect in the existing shroud provided for the stock fan (760 b230 etc.). But it only just interferes with waterpump studs. Anyone have a source for short waterpump studs or P/N? Anyone have a single pulley setup? I'm about >1/4" away from having it fit. With Dremel I've taken about as much material away from the Ford? housing as I am comfortable with...

...OK and so I followed the link in the last post and what do you know? I think thats the same fan! I'm in the same boat.. except that instead of the 5+ inches of clearance I have an intercooler and am right up against the water pump studs with the same setup. Hmmmm.

you could just replace the studs with bolts

Steve O 05-08-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 765tiME
OK, I'll bite...

Share what you find out as I'll be in the same boat soon when we +T the 240 in a few months.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

765tiME 05-09-2006 09:41 AM

Might be a week or so... before I get to it to put it in, more pressing projects at hand. I'll try with bolts instead of studs and check for clearance. Hope it works because the fan fits the stock shroud so nice, and its dual speed.

F1reBird 04-12-2007 04:34 AM

sweet write up..im thinking about doign this within the next fw weeks..maby months..

thelostartof 04-12-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1reBird (Post 1167407)
sweet write up..im thinking about doign this within the next fw weeks..maby months..

you should do it ASAP .. one of the best cheap mods out there that picks up a fair amount of power

Aoder1 04-12-2007 05:45 PM

^^ im planning on it soon prolly in a couple weeks ;)

EmaGen 04-13-2007 07:50 PM

Im doing my fan this friday.. hopefully

smurf244 04-16-2007 07:43 PM

I did a E-fan on my 244 6 or so months ago and have put on 6000 miles on it with no problem. I just redid the the wiring today just cause I was board and wanted it to look pretty :-P. For the water pump studs, I just flip them around and it works just fine. I can takes pictures if anyone would like.

Later,
Adam

Eargasm 04-17-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 765tiME (Post 788242)
OK, I'll bite...

Can't you just shear a little bit off the studs with your dremel?

socalsean 04-18-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eargasm (Post 1176615)

Yes...just be sure you thread a nut on the stud, cut off the extra part of the unneeded stud, then remove the nut. This will re-cut the threads after the cutting wheel does it's havoc.

thelostartof 04-19-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

would be 10000x easier to just go to a local hardware store and buy 4 bolts that fit it .. i did that 5 years ago when i did my elec fan swap and they are still there working just fine

peacereef 04-21-2007 01:36 PM

what would the cons be if you just had the fan going at all times? i have the fan in the article and i have a crazy old man who knows cars. so all i can see is that sitting in traffic you would get annoyed with the sound?

GrandmaSideways 04-21-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiend (Post 652895)
I am ready to do this conversion, and I think I've found a good candidate. I dont like buying used if I can help it, so I've found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-IN...QQcmdZViewItem

I am just worried with the drain it will put on my alternator... will it be able to handle it? I am going to be running Sirius Satellite radio, and a 52x4 watt CD deck.

Should be no problem, it's when you get into amps and subs that the problem really comes up. I have a 350WRMS sub and a 400W MTX amp, as well as four speakers and a high end deck, and power windows, locks, car alarm, etc...
Basically I wouldn't worry about it until you start getting amps. I noticed my headlights would VERY SLIGHTLY dim when the bass really hit, at idle. I got a 1 farad capacitor and it's no longer an issue. You'll be okay, as long as your battery is in decent shape.

Rockmonton 04-22-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

turn the studs backwards, they fit!

smurf244 04-22-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockmonton (Post 1184406)
turn the studs backwards, they fit!

Thats what I did.

Rockmonton 04-22-2007 08:54 PM

just curious, what models of cars are you all ganking the fans from?

smurf244 04-23-2007 03:34 PM

I got mine from a inline 6 960. I think the same fan is in the s40 but not sure.

Aoder1 04-23-2007 09:11 PM

got mine from a 940...wiring harness and all but here ya go

http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0008

500dollar744ti 04-24-2007 10:12 AM

i used a chrysler lebaron fan... looks great on the car, almost like factory and fits even with 3 inch thick intercooler...

http://xs215.xs.to/xs215/07224/IM003667.jpg

Rockmonton 04-30-2007 03:54 PM

just grabbed one from a dodge spirit/plymouth acclaim, very similar fan, but trim an inch off the large side of the shroud, and actually pressure fits in no problemo. should be good when i get it wired up!

500dollar744ti 04-30-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockmonton (Post 1198209)
just grabbed one from a dodge spirit/plymouth acclaim, very similar fan, but trim an inch off the large side of the shroud, and actually pressure fits in no problemo. should be good when i get it wired up!

yeah i believe that is actually the exact same fan, just trim to fit! looks great

Rockmonton 04-30-2007 11:16 PM

well, the mounting tabs are different, yours from the lebaron interchanges with the minivans (voyager/caravan) where as the sundance, acclaim and spirit have a slightly different one (that works just as well.

lammmy 05-06-2007 02:13 AM

nice, I grabbed a fan from a 92 acclaim or something. Only the V6's had to seem a useable fan, all the 4-cyl and turbos had fans with super skinny/long fan motors. I'm all excited to get it installed, I alreayd have the relay and wires all wired up.

Too bad I just got pulled over for being too low. He said my exhaust was lower than the lowest rim. I went out and measured and the exhaust is like an inch taller...so lame. Now I have to get an inspection....great. I'm going to have to find on non-cut springs :(

But back on topic, the fan looks like it will fit nicely.

740tankDriver 05-06-2007 04:46 AM

I'm thinking of instaLLING a 3000 CFM fan from summitracing.com, what can it hurt? any input? going to remove my mechanical fan and upgrade to this fan with a manual override switch in the cockit. only! I will control when it will come on. BTW, I hae already removed the auxiliary fan for condensor, will the condesor fan power outlet work for a new fan or will i have to hot-wire new wiring????