• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Single wire alternator.. exciter wire ?

Dvroofer

If someone could help me out with where and how to wire in the exciter wire when installing a single wire alternator. I?m sure it may have been covered but my searches are coming up short. I will be attempting to wire in a single wire alternator to my 1991 240 lh 2.4 b230f
Thanks

Single wire alternators just need that single wire. Some of them use an external jumper to the exciter wire from that terminal, some do it internally.

I stuck a GM alternator on my PV, and with the wiring I was able to choose from 1, 2, or 3 wire installation. I chose 3 wire:
1) Heavy 12+ charging lead to the battery
2) Exciter wire to the Volvo charging warning bulb (maintain warning light functionality)
3) Voltage reference (typically pulled from #1, but I chose to reference the far side of the 50 year old fuse block)

Single wire alternators just need that single wire. Some of them use an external jumper to the exciter wire from that terminal, some do it internally.

I stuck a GM alternator on my PV, and with the wiring I was able to choose from 1, 2, or 3 wire installation. I chose 3 wire:
1) Heavy 12+ charging lead to the battery
2) Exciter wire to the Volvo charging warning bulb (maintain warning light functionality)
3) Voltage reference (typically pulled from #1, but I chose to reference the far side of the 50 year old fuse block)

My question would be after I land my big +red wire to the alternator and ground it, What do I hook my exciter wire to. I?m under the impression it needs to be less than 12volts. Can I eliminate this wire without issues? Or do I need it functioning?
Thanks

Problem solved. Scrapped that single wire idea and swapped in a 100amp unit. Will wait to get a mechmen and a d.Barton bracket system

I have a "system" relay that I installed that energizes off the blue wire that runs the coil. I have the exciter wire hooked up to that, so no idiot light functionality. Experts on here said it would cook the alternator but no problems in several years of operation. I have a digital volt meter/USB port in my row of switches to monitor output. It always runs 13.5-14.2 volts even at full load, electric fan, headlights, blower etc. I have the denso 100 amp in my 242.

I have a "system" relay that I installed that energizes off the blue wire that runs the coil. I have the exciter wire hooked up to that, so no idiot light functionality. Experts on here said it would cook the alternator but no problems in several years of operation. I have a digital volt meter/USB port in my row of switches to monitor output. It always runs 13.5-14.2 volts even at full load, electric fan, headlights, blower etc. I have the denso 100 amp in my 242.

I appreciate the information. I had no issues with the 100amp unit in the past 2 days. What I was going to do was take the 200 amp unit off my Chevy truck and use it because I was in a pickle. It didn?t come to that but I did find a rubber plug on the alternator that has two connectors. I assume I would of been able to find out what wire to what connector.

I?m not 100% on what mechmen I am going to order in the future . They have different wiring configurations as in single wire /Chevy 4 wire. The unit I?m looking at is a compact 240 volt but will need a special bracket for a tension pulley. The reason for a mechmen:
I plan on ac, electric fans,extra fog lights, hids,large stereo (not stupid but large maybe 2000 watts total), 1000 watt inverter, PA system.
I have a capacitor ready to go in and an optima battery.

Back