View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #113
smoothdurban
I do my own stunts

Default T5 Reassembled

So tearing down a T5 for the first time can be a little intimidating considering I have never done anything like this before.

I used Paul's peel-able shims to get the counter-shaft preload to about 4 in-lbs of drag torque.

This image is a little blurry but it is hard to take a picture while rotating a torque wrench. But 4 in-lbs of preload was the target

I was able to reinstall the gearbox the other day but the snow and salt has kept me off of the roads.

Somethings I was able to do during install of the trans this time
  • I used peel-able shims to set the preload of the counter shaft to 4 in-lbs and the main shaft preload was set to about 2 thou.
  • I used a new clutch fork from an m90, replacing the used one I had from a 740.
  • Shimmed the pivot bolt for the clutch fork as opposed to using a socket head bolt attached to the 740 clutch fork.
  • Thoroughly cleaned the mating surfaces between the engine and the trans bell housing
  • Re-torqued the flywheel / clutch and bell housing bolts in stages and in cross patterns.
  • I ditched the Hurst short throw shifter as it limits how far I can center the trans in the tunnel due to a higher profile then the stock T5 shifter.
  • Installed Aerostar slip yoke.

Hopefully we get another thaw and I'll be able to try this out an report back on the effects (if any) of these changes.

2019 VW Golf R w 6 Speed w 2020 kms NEW DD

@smoothdurban on IG
smoothdurban is offline   Reply With Quote