• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

16v brake booster and ABS delete in a 740

Let me just make sure I'm absolutely clear. You think air bags, ABS, power assisted brakes and steering, are all bad innovations. Is this correct?

To certain degrees yes. 1 being most important and 5 being the least.
Here is how I rate them
1 Air Bags
2 ABS
3 Air Conditioning
4 Power Steering, and
5 power Brakes.

Do I make my self clear?
Power windows are still chill. but would rather be crank.
Should I dare list the reasoning? isn't it obvious?

You list ABS above power steering and brakes. Wow. I'm sure it'll do a lot of good if you can't lock up the tires.

1 Air Bags............................. how important it is to not be on a car.
2 ABS
3 Air Conditioning
4 Power Steering, and
5 power Brakes. ........................... how least important to be on a car.
You need to redefine your spectrum of needed and not needed... or at least the identifiers.

ehhh, abs is good for "oh ****" kind situations out on the road but if you're a good enough driver and it's a track car, you can justify getting rid of it.

or, alternatively, you can just drive a car that doesn't have it at all. =p

really? that is why Bosch and others sell kits that costs a few grand to ADD abs to your race car that are driven by professionals??

really? that is why Bosch and others sell kits that costs a few grand to ADD abs to your race car that are driven by professionals??

Perhaps, I'm not a professional and I believe you aren't either, I'm pretty sure we were just talking about preferences though... I live in Wisconsin. It snows a lot. I drive in snow and ice a lot. I've driven cars with and without ABS. I prefer to not have ABS. It is my preference.

Not saying that the ABS kits are a terrible idea for racecars or anything, but manufacturers will try to sell anything that they can convince someone to buy. It's just the nature of capitalism. For instance, how many cars has Kia sold?

Not saying that the ABS kits are a terrible idea for racecars or anything, but manufacturers will try to sell anything that they can convince someone to buy. It's just the nature of capitalism. For instance, how many cars has Kia sold?
:roll:

Also, I'm not sure the guys bagging on ABS know there is a difference on the ABS on your 20+ year old Volvo and the ABS on cars today.

:roll:

Also, I'm not sure the guys bagging on ABS know there is a difference on the ABS on your 20+ year old Volvo and the ABS on cars today.

Precisely, that's exactly what I meant to say rather than saying that despite my personal preference, having ABS could be better than not. Thanks!

And right again, there couldn't possibly be a difference. ABS is ABS. These things don't change. Just like traction control, and computers, and really any technology at all.

Last edited:
I think abs is great, when it works properly... Its when you expect it to work, and it doesn't, that is when things get hairy... I had an eye opener with this at a track day, would not like to repeat that again.

I should probably add in that my preference for not having ABS is purely based upon the fact that I don't like it for general commuting in the snow and ice. I'm not basing my opinion on ABS performance on the track or autocross, etc.

Back