• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo B30, anyone make a crossflow head for it?

Why not just go white block? Or perhaps something more exotic?

Just curious that is all, I saw some videos of old hot rodded B30s and was wondering if anyone really spent the time and money to seriously develop them further.

If one fell into my hands I'd like to play with one. I've always liked I6 motors and wished Ford brought their Australian market only straight sixes to the US.

There's always this cylinder head:
FinCNCDeckOA3.jpg

Procure one and see if you can feasibly bolt it to a B30 bottom end.

When that doesn't pan out, just buy the rest of the 2JZ and use that as well.

Maybe spend 1/10th the effort and expense in making some valve covers that say 'Volvo' on them.

This^

Otherwise it's a wasted effort (if the thing you want is a bitchin' straigh-6) unless you want to give yourself an exercise in machining over anything else.

I WILL have a 164 one day. In the meantime, a guy I work with has his hands on a 6 cylinder. triple carbed penta. B30 for boats? Gonna check it out.

Because whiteblocks suck. And then you could also go 2J, M/S50/52, etc...hell, diesel bellhousing and a VR6. But B30 is raw sex. Period.

They don't completely suck, but they do sorta blow.

Raw sex would be an old Jag 6. Admittedly, a B30 with triple Dellortos and a fat camshaft would be bitchin' too.

Back