• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Euromurican; a 242 with an M60B40

Arn02

So a few years back I made the 245 GT. Unfortunately I no longer really had a use for it and I wanted an e30 as daily driver again. So I sold it to this character:

Who is in fact the builder of the other Dutch 245-with-m50-transplant: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=329198. He sold his (again) and wanted it back (again) so he bought mine.

All the while I had this 242 which I bought little over 4 years ago. It's a '76 with b20 and 4-speed.

I drove it every now and then but I had it parked at my retired father's place and he uses it mostly for himself and to drive the grandchildren around. I used it for a holiday to Romania few years back. It was great on the Transfagarasan, one of the best roads in Europe. It was however horrible on the highway. I have very little love for the b20. So at first my idea was to build a b230fk with bigger t for it, then I scrapped that. Then I built a b230+16V head for it..... and sold that. The main reason is that I never really got a concept for it (and I need a concept when I build a project car) other than another 242 with 16V engine.

So I bought a M60B40 from a 1995 e38 740i. I decided the concept should be an american muscle car, but completely made from european parts. Anything non-metric is banned.
The car will have an automatic, comfortable black leather seats, airco.

And a 5HP30 5-speed automatic. It's huge. And 109kg.

And a drop bar from STS:

I could prepare the swap without the car so the last months I've spend some time building engine mounts and resealing and checking the engine. So some pictures of the fabrication of the mounts and resealing of the engine.

Stuff for engine:

Engine:

Nozzles for LPG injection:

Some modifications to the "bridge" that connects the cilinder heads:

Then the car finally arrived at surgery. Out with the old, hateful block:

And in with the new...

Enough space in the rear.

Front:

Making the bmw radiator work:

And the airco rad:

This is it so far. I'll keep updating.

Last edited:
Small update.

Made a strutbrace to compensate for the added torque. I will make linke to the firewall later.

Flat black. What else?

Fitted the airco unit inside the car. This will work just not sure yet how.

Chow for now.

Last edited:
Awesome. That fit in there surprisingly well! I would think weight-wise the engines are close? Lookward to engine management integration.
Will you be updating suspension after the swap?

:love:

How are you going to control the 5hp30?

The engine loom is connected with the automatic. I need to plug this in and it will run. I'd have to do the wiring obviously but not there yet.

Awesome. That fit in there surprisingly well! I would think weight-wise the engines are close? Lookward to engine management integration.
Will you be updating suspension after the swap?

I think the m60+5hp30 is about 90kg heavier than a b230+m46. That's like having a passenger with you all the time. :omg:

Last edited:
So it was time to get the engine and transmission in.

The 5hp30 required a bit a massaging the tunnel. Nothing too serious though.

Room enough to get place the steering rack, or take it out if needed.

Motor mounts seem fine. Tape measure to the frame rails. 37cm exact to both sides.

Fitted the brake pedal and tossed the clutch.

After the engine was in, it was time to make the transmission mount.

Bolted through the hardy and used it as a spacer, and made a template to help center the drive shaft in the center bearing.

It sits fine so next are the headers.

Chow for now.

Last edited:
Back