• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear axle choices Ford 9" or 8.8" or other? (2008-2022 bump)

Yeah, I have already ditched the idea of using the original pickup points on the body. Its going to be a very generic tuneable 4 link setup, with a new rear subframe, tied into the rollcage and chassis. I was hoping for a 122 to come along. Still looking actually. But Ive been sizing some things up lately, and my 242 has some definite advantages and may become the drag car.

I re-used the existing suspension pickup points- cut them off the D30 and welded them onto the 8.8.

In retrospect I wouldn't do it that way. Some four-link brackets from summit and some rod and rod ends would have been easier, stronger, and more tuneable.

I know that for a 700 series it isn't quite that easy since you don't have pickup points for upper trailing arms/torque rods like a 240.

But my suggestion is that you consider the possibility of being rid of the "subframe" and set up a more "conventional" 4 link during the process of converting the diff. Maybe it's too hard on a 700, but I would at least have that possibility in the back of my mind when planning the swap.

The rest of the stuff I don't feel like commenting on- turbobricks logic (or lackthereof) just sometimes cannot recieve reason. :nod:

Of the 5 Explorer 8.8 rear ends I looked at in the junk yard, all were 3.73 ratios w/limited slip diffs. for $150.

Here is a link for modifing the Mustang 8.8, but I noticed that the Explorer 8.8's had the houseing tubes tapered down at the outer bearing. I don't know how the Moser 9" housing ends fit.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0609_ford_88_inch_rear_end/index.html

And here is an article from Popular Hot Rodding's Sept. 1999 issue discribing the differences between the Mopar 8.75" rear and a Currie 9". I have included the entire artical even though it has little to do with the 8.8", but it should be similar . At the bottom of the first column on page 32, they talk about the differences between how much more power the 9" requires and is only an amount greater then what is needed to turn the 8.75" and not a percentage of total power.

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg

page5.jpg

Last edited:
Something to consider no matter which rear axle you choose. If you have to narrow the rear axle, you can cut off the ends of a Volvo axle and weld them to the ends of your new axle. Then by just redrilling your axles, you can use stock Volvo rear disc brakes and calipers.

Something to consider no matter which rear axle you choose. If you have to narrow the rear axle, you can cut off the ends of a Volvo axle and weld them to the ends of your new axle. Then by just redrilling your axles, you can use stock Volvo rear disc brakes and calipers.

The key thing to remember here is he wants to use 31 spline 9" axles, and for good reason. So using 9" housing ends with the appropriate bolt pattern for mounting the 8.8 disc is the best way to go IMO. (I actually sent this info via PM. Probably should have just posted it...

The 8.8 disc brakes swap very easily. The e-brakes work the same way- just splice the cables. Currie sells a brake hose kit that allows the calipers to hook up to the volvo hardlines very easily as well (just cut the volvo fittings off and install standard 3/16" brake fitting w/ single flares.)

So, If you used these 8.8 housing ends from Moser to use 9" small bearing axle shafts, do you first have to cut the original housing ends off, weld on the new ends, then shorten the Explorer housing tubes before the taper at the correct length, and then weld the tubes back together? I guess what I'm wondering is what is the Explorer tube diameter at the center differential and the housing ends?

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Housing-Ends/housingends.html

MOSER HOUSING ENDS
New forged, CNC machined housing ends are available separately or on any housing we sell. These housing ends accept stock bearings and seals, and are available for most popular applications. The 8.8” Ford ends accept the small 9” Ford style bearing, but still work with most 8.8” Ford brake set ups. The Chevrolet ends accept the large Ford style bearing, but still utilizes most Chevy drum and disc brake set-ups.

PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
New Housing Ends (pair)
7400 8 3/4" Mopar & Dana 60 80 pair
7450 Symmetrical/Lamb 80 pair
7455 Symmetrical Ends for Double Row Ball Bearings 125 pair
7705 2005-Newer Mustang (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7700 1979-2004 8.8" Mustang (uses 9" Ford small bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7750 Big Ford New Style/Torino 80 pair
7755 Small Bearing Ford 80 pair
7800 Big Ford--1/2" holes 80 pair
7838 Big Ford--3/8" holes 80 pair
7850 Olds/Pontiac - 1949-1964 80 pair
7900 Small Chevy Car (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7905 C-Clip Chevy Car (stock type bearing & seal and c-clip axles) 85 pair
7950 Chevy Impala & Truck (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7750DB Deep Bore Torino (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair
7800DB Deep Bore Big Ford (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair
7900DB Deep Bore Chevy Car (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair

COPYRIGHT 2005 MOSERENGINEERING, INC

Last edited:
The trick here is that the 8.8 from the explorer has 3.25" axle tubes, which are larger than "car" axle tubes.

The explorer 8.8 will actually accept large bearing 9" ends.

You cut the ends off so that the axle tubes are the length you want, then weld the new housing ends on. It's just one step to do the narrowing. No point in cutting, welding, then cutting and welding again. But you do need to shorten the axle by at least enough to remove the tapered end.

I used Currie for all of my diff stuff and they are great. I would call them and tell them what you want to do (include the important info that the 8.8 you have is from an epxlorer). They will sell you the right housing ends and axles and etc all at the same time so that everything works.

So, If you used these 8.8 housing ends from Moser to use 9" small bearing axle shafts, do you first have to cut the original housing ends off, weld on the new ends, then shorten the Explorer housing tubes before the taper at the correct length, and then weld the tubes back together? I guess what I'm wondering is what is the Explorer tube diameter at the center differential and the housing ends?

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Housing-Ends/housingends.html

MOSER HOUSING ENDS
New forged, CNC machined housing ends are available separately or on any housing we sell. These housing ends accept stock bearings and seals, and are available for most popular applications. The 8.8? Ford ends accept the small 9? Ford style bearing, but still work with most 8.8? Ford brake set ups. The Chevrolet ends accept the large Ford style bearing, but still utilizes most Chevy drum and disc brake set-ups.

PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
New Housing Ends (pair)
7400 8 3/4" Mopar & Dana 60 80 pair
7450 Symmetrical/Lamb 80 pair
7455 Symmetrical Ends for Double Row Ball Bearings 125 pair
7705 2005-Newer Mustang (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7700 1979-2004 8.8" Mustang (uses 9" Ford small bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7750 Big Ford New Style/Torino 80 pair
7755 Small Bearing Ford 80 pair
7800 Big Ford--1/2" holes 80 pair
7838 Big Ford--3/8" holes 80 pair
7850 Olds/Pontiac - 1949-1964 80 pair
7900 Small Chevy Car (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7905 C-Clip Chevy Car (stock type bearing & seal and c-clip axles) 85 pair
7950 Chevy Impala & Truck (Ford large bearing & non c-clip axles) 80 pair
7750DB Deep Bore Torino (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair
7800DB Deep Bore Big Ford (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair
7900DB Deep Bore Chevy Car (bored for 45 mm bearing) 80 pair

COPYRIGHT 2005 MOSERENGINEERING, INC

We are on the lookout now for a 70 - 81 Camaro/Firebird 8.5 ten bolt.

8.5 inch, tons of parts available cheap, width is in the ballpark.

We are going to use a GM Eaton type posi, probably 4:10s

Swap all the mounts off another Volvo housing, use either 79 Trans Am rotors and calipers, but more likely will use 1LE and Iroc backing plates as they will bolt on to the earlier Camaro housing. We are going to order new, Strange or Alloy, or another brand axle have them set up for the Volvo bolt pattern.

Using the 82-92 Camaro calipers will have us in the right zone in regards to metric fittings, not sure what the Volvo thread is, but will be easier adapting metric to metric than metric to American, which is what I had to do in my 67 Camaro, thus had to make up a custom adapter fitting from a local shop.

We will likely retain the c-clips as the car will be street drive and see limited track use.

I know quite a few people going 10s with 8.5 inch axles, so going in the 12s or whatever Citysurf's wagon will run, the 8.5 will do fine. We figure for under 1000 dollars we will have a stout rear axle in the car....

Captain Bondo speaks the truth. I like 302CAMARO650HPs thinking too. That is the way I would go, but this thread is not about me or what I want. The thread is about what qwkswede wants. There is certainly a lot of good information here by people who know what they are talking about. Now qwkswede has to decide which way to go.

Keep us informed.

Great thread guys. I appreciate the help.
I'll be hunting the junkyards some in the coming months. I still like the ease of service you get with a 9". If I see one with a limited slip, I will likely grab it. But really, the 8.8s are way more plentiful these days. I'll have to see whats out there.

I was out at the yard today. I saw about 10 explorers, and countless other Fords with 8.8 rears. None of them were disk brake type unfortunately. None of the Explorers were new enough for disk brakes.. Rear axles are on sale this weekend. $39. I should have grabbed something. But it was snowy and muddy, so I wasn't super motivated to work on the ground.

there was one 1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer that I could not rotate the wheels opposite of each other by hand. Though, the cover did not have the "L" tag. Maybe it had a dealer or aftermarket added LSD? It had drum brakes but otherwise was the best looking candidate. I may go back for it tomorrow.

I saw a couple of trucks with 9" housings. But they all had the diffs removed. The 9" looked like it might be a challenge. The abundance of 8.8 parts has swayed my choice. I'll run the 8.8 I think.

I was out at the yard today. I saw about 10 explorers, and countless other Fords with 8.8 rears. None of them were disk brake type unfortunately. None of the Explorers were new enough for disk brakes.. Rear axles are on sale this weekend. $39. I should have grabbed something. But it was snowy and muddy, so I wasn't super motivated to work on the ground.

there was one 1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer that I could not rotate the wheels opposite of each other by hand. Though, the cover did not have the "L" tag. Maybe it had a dealer or aftermarket added LSD? It had drum brakes but otherwise was the best looking candidate. I may go back for it tomorrow.

I saw a couple of trucks with 9" housings. But they all had the diffs removed. The 9" looked like it might be a challenge. The abundance of 8.8 parts has swayed my choice. I'll run the 8.8 I think.

Didya at least look at the Toyota PU 8" rears.
Then its simply turning the OD and drilling the flanges.

And you get nice 4 pinion LSDs.

What is it that you booys seem to not understand the strength of 4 pinion diffs vs those 2 pinion things found in most Amerikanskij axles?

John/Kevin.... Have you fellers looked at the diff assembly in the V-8 Landcruiser?

Many of them come from the factory with an electric operated maybe vacuum locker.
They all have big vented discs.
I've never seen one fail so with a bit of luck it will not be silly expen$ive in the yards.

The 9" Ford thing in my car..... one could figure $3-4000 yankee dollars to fit one. My rear axle uses an old mustang housing shortened with Volvo suspension pick-ups on it. It has an Aluminum center section (saves unsprung weight), 35 spline axles that I should have had gun-drilled for weight savings, disc brakes (Volvo 740 turbo front rotor and Porsche/Brembo C-4 calipers) and is now dandy. The 9" rear is one that you can pick and choose any variable you like right down to having a sheet metal housing made up for your car. All it takes is money.

Any of you who are $erious about doing a real custom thing...
I will be happy to put you into touch with a fellow who builds them. He is not interested in time wasters though.

Didya at least look at the Toyota PU 8" rears.
Then its simply turning the OD and drilling the flanges.

And you get nice 4 pinion LSDs.

What is it that you booys seem to not understand the strength of 4 pinion diffs vs those 2 pinion things found in most Amerikanskij axles?

John, do you have an idea of which year trucks I should be looking at? There's a pnp near my hometown that has lots of Toyota trucks in the 85-92 range. Just basically look for something with rear discs and go for it?

Mike

edit... damn 2 seconds of googling and I found this.... http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#v6/turbo :)

John/Kevin.... Have you fellers looked at the diff assembly in the V-8 Landcruiser?
Don't see the Landcruisers in the low rent yards Kevvie and I hang around in.

Many of them come from the factory with an electric operated maybe vacuum locker.
They all have big vented discs.
I've never seen one fail so with a bit of luck it will not be silly expen$ive in the yards.

Not so worried about their breakes since what we've done on the 2 so far is just chuck the axle up and turn the OD and the backside of the flange and leave a step for Volvo disc to center on and drill 5 easy holes.
EASY!!!!

The 9" Ford thing in my car..... one could figure $3-4000 yankee dollars to fit one. My rear axle uses an old mustang housing shortened with Volvo suspension pick-ups on it. It has an Aluminum center section (saves unsprung weight), 35 spline axles that I should have had gun-drilled for weight savings, disc brakes (Volvo 740 turbo front rotor and Porsche/Brembo C-4 calipers) and is now dandy. The 9" rear is one that you can pick and choose any variable you like right down to having a sheet metal housing made up for your car. All it takes is money.

Lesse, I stink Kevvie paid like 110 bucks for his, I got him a 4.3 ring and pinion for $10, and he traded a something to get a Stuprah 4 pinion LSD for cheap.
He has under 250 in it and he did the plug-weld (with BOTH shielded and gas MIG at the same time) while I was doing the turning on the lathe.
He did the bolt circles--and got it right after I slapped him around and made him check the first one and re-check the mill heads levelling.
I may occasionally forget things but I USUALLY know to check for errors.

So all told it is EASY.

Oh and we drilled for the use of the Sooper Bitchin M14 x 2.2" stud I like so much.

The 9" Ford thing in my car..... one could figure $3-4000 yankee dollars to fit one.

Any of you who are $erious about doing a real custom thing...
I will be happy to put you into touch with a fellow who builds them. He is not interested in time wasters though.

Ah well. That buggers it up for 95% of the people on here then!:-P

By the time you deal with all of the trouble to shorten up an 8.8" I'd go get a new fabricated full floater 9" rear and be done with it the right way.

You can get a rear with new axles, hubs, bearings, brake brackets (set up to run standard late model brakes, which are cheap and easy and there are plenty of different options open so it'd be one less thing to deal with) for somewhere around a grand, which probably isn't a far cry from what you'd spend by the time you shortened an 8.8 then upgraded the internals, the only catch is here you'd have to buy a diff, carrier and gear, and have it assembled.
http://stockcarproducts.com/rearend.htm

I disagree. Using prices I was quoted from over there.
Explorer Axle (junkyard) $100?
Narrowing (self) $0
Axle shafts (Moser) $315
Ford Racing clutch pack $115
Diff Girdle $175
ARP stud kit $20
And that already has 31 spline diff, LSD and rear discs. With Moser shafts that axle will take more than anyone on here can throw at it.

Back