• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Solid shifter cage 240

SkeTchy-MechAniC

The itb engine is running and we're now starting finishing things to get it tuned. The PO extended the stock shifter on the m47 for looks. Since the stock shifter isn't known for it's crisp shift this didn't improve anything other than giving the idea you're riding a dumptruck on itb's :lol: I've grabbed a spare shifter and lengthened it below the pivot bearing, That'll be installed any time soon. When shifting the current setup i noticed the huge amount of movement in the shifter cage itself. So i got thinking about making some solid bushings for it. Tried to find some info about this but couldn't find anything. Would there be any downsides ?

20210114_214036.jpg

Aah that sloppy bit of rubber in between, I see. It shouldn't be too hard to get some pieces of delrin or nylon machined to replace those, your bones will shake though haha, volvo put it there for a reason, the engine will still move quite a bit.

As has already been said, vibration is the downside. Having said that, many RWD transmissions have a gearlever mounted directly IN the gearbox without any sort of isolation, so I wouldn't be too concerned. It sounds like a good idea. Let us know how well it works.

Just finished up the install. Was able to make some bushings at work. If there is any interest i'll share the drawing. Placing them was quick and easy and did the modified shifter at the same time. It's incredible how much more stable the shifts feel, Could actually feel where the gears are. The teflon bushings in the shifter itself are still there but in good shape. Maybe i'll swap them for bronze ones to.

Not hard to make, but pictures or a drawing are always interesting.
Next time my car is apart I'll be making up some aluminium bobbins for the same reason.

I don't think that's a good idea, They have to be strong since the bolts also keep the rear end of the transmission together.

The rubber bushings are quite squishy and degrade pretty badly, yet the rear of the trans still holds together fine. How would 3d printing 100% solid bushings in temp and oil resistant materials like petg or abs be worse than rubber in holding together the rear of the trans as long as the metal sleeves and washers are still used. Plus, 3d prints are insanely strong in compression as you're just squeezing the layers onto each other. It's a different story with tensile forces causing layer separation, but I don't see an issue in using them in this situation where they're just being compressed into place.

Last edited:
That shifter is going to rattle loudly if you put in bronze bushings. I used a thin piece of metal between the snap ring and rubber bushing ring to try and get the bushings to fit tight around the ball

That shifter is going to rattle loudly if you put in bronze bushings. I used a thin piece of metal between the snap ring and rubber bushing ring to try and get the bushings to fit tight around the ball

I had the same problem and did the same thing, lol. I used cut up pieces of a soda can to make the shims. It is nice and tight for now minus the internal slop :roll:

Nice job on the bronze shifter cage bushings. I would use them if you made some. I only use bronze on the shifter clevis bushings. The ball socket bushings I put in new plastic ones. Makes for a nice shifter. The bronze ball socket bushings gave the shifter a clackity, clack feel which
I didn't like.

Sorry I worded it badly, I had new rubber bushings for the cage but new bronze bushings for the linkage ball, it rattled badly when first installed until I shimmed it. I could give bronze cage bushings a shot though, I've got a lathe taking up floor space and a CNC lathe so I could pump them out if there was an interest/improvement

Back