• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

72 Volvo 142 - Carb Questions

thevolvokid

142 whore
Hello All,

I recently brought home my 142e, 19 years ago I converted it to a Weber 32/34 since the Djet was ruined in the car. Motor has been bored, Isky cam, head work etc - all done back in the 90s before I bought the car.

All that being said, I have a terrible 32/32 downdraft Weber on the car now. I'm wanting to upgrade the carb to maybe this https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performance-WEBER-CARBURETOR-Compatible/dp/B07FYRQ8VL/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_w=e8ClC&content-id=amzn1.sym.116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_p=116f529c-aa4d-4763-b2b6-4d614ec7dc00&pf_rd_r=7P6D9KBNG0TF50G0BNR6&pd_rd_wg=0QOcv&pd_rd_r=56db50d0-db2d-47cf-aa93-1f4aa0659e8e&pd_rd_i=B07FYRQ8VL&psc=1. Has anyone recently picked one of these up? Thoughts on them. I'd like to do some 40 DOCEs but the budget isn't there currently for them. Any other suggestions from anyone? It's been a while since I've worked on the car, 14 ish years, so I'm trying to remember all the things I knew back then :lol:

Paging Broke4speed...

The Asian Weber copies are really hit or miss. They're cheap for a reason.

A genuine 38/38 DGES would serve you a lot better, but of course it's like 3-5x the price, depending where you go.

Yeah, the chinese carbs are reaaaaaally hit and miss. I've had some good ones, and some bad ones...but sometimes the bad ones can be fixed if you know what you're doing. Sometimes it's just an awful casting and you need to throw it away. The 45 Chinese Amazon DCOEs I have are like that, they leak through the porus casting.

TBH, get a real weber, you'll thank yourself :).

Yeah I'd love to put some true Weber DCOEs on the car but man SPENDY lol.

I hear lots of things about the Chinese carbs being hit or miss; the 32/32 on it now is pissing fuel out of the accelerator pump. It's already under sized and my 32/34 I had on it forever ago never was quite right. So I figured 3rd time is the charm?

Yeah I'd love to put some true Weber DCOEs on the car but man SPENDY lol.

I hear lots of things about the Chinese carbs being hit or miss; the 32/32 on it now is pissing fuel out of the accelerator pump. It's already under sized and my 32/34 I had on it forever ago never was quite right. So I figured 3rd time is the charm?

I'd go find a used Weber 38/38 DGES. I assume you are used to tuning the DGV on your car right now.

You could also try a holly. I am not sure if the bolt patters are the same but there are probably adapters.

Whatever you choose you are going to need to be ready to spend some time jetting it right.

You could also try a holly. I am not sure if the bolt patters are the same but there are probably adapters.

Holley 2bbl would be convenient if you ever wanted to put EFI back on it - I believe you can get 2bbl-format throttle bodies to work with the Terminator or Predator-whatever they're calling the DIY EFI systems these days.

Holley 2bbl would be convenient if you ever wanted to put EFI back on it - I believe you can get 2bbl-format throttle bodies to work with the Terminator or Predator-whatever they're calling the DIY EFI systems these days.

I was really tempted to go that route until I got my SUs figured out. An out of the box EFI solution probably won't give more power, but size the barrels right and you'll probably be a lot less restricted than the current progressive weber.

IIRC Volvo used a 40mm 2bbl Solex in their GT kit along with a higher compression head, dual port exhaust manifold, and a D or K cam.

I'd go find a used Weber 38/38 DGES. I assume you are used to tuning the DGV on your car right now.

Whatever you choose you are going to need to be ready to spend some time jetting it right.

I found a 38/38 about 2.5 hours away for sale. Dude refuses to ship it & I don't have a full day to dedicate getting it lol

I found a 38/38 about 2.5 hours away for sale. Dude refuses to ship it & I don't have a full day to dedicate getting it lol

only 2.5 hours? I'd be in the car already.

I personally would put a rochester 2jet on it. I'll mail you some for free.
Also, I have a pair of scabby solex side drafts that came off a B18 marine race engine, I would part with those too if you fine manifolds. I gave away my one good manifold (one was broken).

only 2.5 hours? I'd be in the car already.

I personally would put a rochester 2jet on it. I'll mail you some for free.
Also, I have a pair of scabby solex side drafts that came off a B18 marine race engine, I would part with those too if you fine manifolds. I gave away my one good manifold (one was broken).

What did the Rochester come off of? Do those fit the weber intake?

Small update, I found the parts needed for the 32/34 to make it whole. I put it together and got it on the car yesterday, didn't want to run really but it could and didnt leak fuel all over so its a back up now. I purchased one of the cheapys off amazon to see how it is. If it is bad I'll just return it and search for a better replacement.

Those Rochesters were for a school bus or some ****, but they are pretty good carbs out of the box, and are raced a ton everywhere. The design is basically half of a four-barrel, and there are a number of Rochester-style 2BBL carbs out there that can make pretty good power for the effort. They were the spec carb for most of the field back in the IMSA RS Challenge, and are on like half of the carbed cars at any dirt track anywhere in the country. In fact, find who builds dirt track engines near you and ask them if you want more info.

Those Rochesters were for a school bus or some ****, but they are pretty good carbs out of the box, and are raced a ton everywhere. The design is basically half of a four-barrel, and there are a number of Rochester-style 2BBL carbs out there that can make pretty good power for the effort. They were the spec carb for most of the field back in the IMSA RS Challenge, and are on like half of the carbed cars at any dirt track anywhere in the country. In fact, find who builds dirt track engines near you and ask them if you want more info.

I'm guessing you're talking about this one? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jet-37001

Surprised my Dad never brought this up as an option, he has built a ton of dirt track motors :lol:

Update! I received the new amazon carb Sunday, installed Monday. The progressive linkage was slightly interfering with the Webber Intake - just filed down on the manifold a smidge for WOT to not have any issues.

On this carb, I pulled it apart and inspected all the ports/jets to see if there was any debris left in it - a common compliant from the amazon reviews. Mine was really clean so I just tossed it back together and installed it. I had to adjust it for the base tune which was to be expected. Besides that so far not a bad 110 dollar carb option but your results may vary.

Back