• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Swedish Pony Car (242tic)

Well... time to unveil my secert. It's a bit early as I have the dyno tomorrow but didn't have time to wire up the AIC yet. So its going to have to be on low boost.

Ok, now that disclaimer is DONE time for the good news:

HOLSETS WORK ON A STOCK MANIFOLD AND A B21FT!!! :D

Now, this is a quickie write up as well. I'll be writing an article on the swap asap here but heres my thoughts:

Over all, quite a responsive turbo. I've been having problems sorting out some bugs so I kept my MBC down (and haven't been able to romp it much yet) but Im seeing peak boost (only 14 at the moment) in first gear by about 3500 rpm ish. Now, its really hard to say because when it hits, it HITS. After sending the elbow off the turbo into the hood I've been kind of reluctant to try to hammer it, but I solved the problem and decided to try again. All I have to say is it hauls ass.

Now, as for the install, its involved but not to bad. I'll post some pics, but you'll have to bear with me as all the silicone adapters I ordered (last week) still aren't here so I had to get "creative".

So, what have we learned? b21ft's will spool a holset WH1C!

Now, for the bad news. I really think that the head work, cam (now you can see what I choose what I choose) and intercooler is a must. Obviously extra fuel is too, though its still doing ok at 14psi. With out being willing to put in some over all effort a Holset is a waste of time.

Also, next time around Im getting an HX35 that already has the wastegate actuator point out the front, not the side. I had to make a "bracket" (I will use that term loosely).

Ok guys, debate that one all you want. Tomorrow I'll get some real info up (now that things aren't flying off the motor)

14336179.jpg

14336197.jpg

14770461.jpg

14303185.jpg

14797472.jpg

(dont worry the blue hose goes away soon)
14797477.jpg

I also installed an NPR intercooler, the K15 cam too. I didn't get to wire up the AIC yet so thats still on the list.

Heres the IC
14770472.jpg

The stock location for the oil cooler doesn't fit with the new IC so I mounted it horizontal on the strut tower. Came out good I think:
14797474.jpg

And the latest pics!
14832749.jpg

14832737.jpg

Doug

Went to the dyno yesterday, couldn't even keep the hoses on so I crossed my fingers and hope'd it would hold.

Well it did and exposed a new problem. That turbo is sucking so hard its completely colapsing my k-jet snorkel, even with the supports.

So the verdict is in, I'm ordering up a MegaSquirt EMS system tomorrow with 58lb injectors. This should really simpilfy things and I get a new toy to play with.

So I bet your wondering, how bad did it to. Try 140 hp. As soon it started to make power and boost it would just try to kill itself. I was also having problems with the wastegate trying to open early, so I'm getting an EBC (haven't decided what brand yet) to help. If after that I'm still not happy I'll start spraying with a 50shot of the line to help spool up :D

The dyno sheet is pretty funny to look at. It's really lackluster below 4k (once again, alot of that is due to the wastegate again) but it doubles its hp in 500 rpm before it just fell on its face. I've got issues, but I'm getting a handle on them.

So its getting there... its really got most of the pieces in place for some serious HP just have to uncork it.

Doug

(ok don't laugh)
14867238.jpg

Updates!

Got the wing back on it, looks pretty sharp still!

Also, parts are starting to show up again. I ordered a Megasquirt EMS (engine management system), MSD6al, Blitz SBC-S electronic boost controller and a bunch of other odds and ends.

So heres a few pics (the EBC is at the bottom)

Doug

15097719.jpg

15097720.jpg

15097721.jpg

Well, finished building up my Megasquirt EMS. I love it, it was not only a kick in the butt to build, it was pretty straight forward.

I'm also learning to use the software, its pretty slick too.

Anyways, heres some pictures:

15384695.jpg

Using the software
15384692.jpg

15384985.jpg

hahaah I had to customize the case a bit ;) Course I did use green LED's instead of the ones that came with it.

Doug

Well, after a week where I just couldn't touch the car, started back on it today. Got everything on the engine wired, except the distributor. Got the MSD boxes mounted, but just wore out before I could wire it up.

So, really just have to get the fuel pump relays up and running, MSD box running and get my fuel injectors figured out. Had some lucas 53 lb/hr injectors but I just cant come up with a way to make them fit. So, it may go the week on stock Turbo injectors... but eventually something bigger.

Have the Davis (BIG) volvo car show next weekend, should be intresting.

So enjoy!
15650813.jpg

15650818.jpg

Adapter a 850 TPS switch needed for use with EMS
15650820.jpg

15650898.jpg

Test fitting of HKS turbo timer and Blitz SBC-S boost controller
15651351.jpg

Mounting of hte MSD boxes

Oh, I just wanted to add a little update on the big picture on the car. So far, since august, Im 10k into the car :eek: but its getting there!

Also, really wanted to thank ipd (ofcourse) and ATP Turbo (www.atpturbo) for being outrageously helpful, and being great about my 20 changed orders!

Also, Dave Lot, John Parker (v-performance.com) and countless others. Less than a year, and the cars almost done!

Doug

Engine harness is done and all hooked up. Actually, everything is, except the injectors leak like crazy (trying to adapt some Lucas 53lb/hr injectors) so I'm headed out to a junkyard today to find some low impedence temporary injectors.

Heres some pictures: (Oh, still waiting on the elbows to come for the turbo to IC piping, I ordered to big DOH)

15785002.jpg

15785001.jpg

15785005.jpg

Just for visual's sake on that pipe

Doug

Thanks man!! The filter is permant, the location isn't yet. Though, my air intake temps didn't show any difference after almost of an hour of the car running tonight.

Which brings me to my point, ITS ALIVE!!! From k-jet to EMS in two weeks :D

Heres a completed pic, sorry its blury. Tomorrow the rest of the dash goes back together then the fun begins!
15833264.jpg

Weekend Update ;)

Alrightie!!! Well, made it through the much awaited for Davis Golden Gate/Sacramento VCOA chapter Volvo Show and the car made it there under its OWN power :D :D!

Babied the car to get it there... but today I decided to see how she goes, and I must say, QUITE well!! Current injectors are maxed at 100% duty cycle by 10 psi though :eek: thats always fun. So I'll be getting bigger injectors soon, but over all, the car runs great!

I think Im going to try advancing the cam 2*, just bring that power down a bit, comes on about 3k right now, but really comes alive at 4k. If I can get it to about 3500-3700 that should just be ideal. Course, Im not really winding the car out to the desired 7500 yet either ;)

Picking up new wheels for the car this weekend, 17X7 Moda R6's and I am PUMPED! So look forward to pictures of those hopefully on the car saturday.

Next project, has to be the T5 swap. My rear main is leaking again (long story) and I refuse to pull it just to put an m46 back in. Then, injectors, then roll cage, Crossdrilled rotors and then maybe, just maybe I'll be almost done ;) From August last year till now, (about 8-9 months) I've come this far, I just may finish this car in a year!

... course, that depends on what you consider finished. I still may (probably will) through a 50shot of NOS at the car too.. for spool up ;)

Thanks guys,

Doug

So in a wierd form of Deja Vu here ya guys go!
16782997.jpg

16783036.jpg

16783138.jpg

So begins the start of the end ;) Last phases of the project is stripping all the parts and painting the entire chasis and engine bay the same color as the body of the car. Also going to pull the dash out and make a custom facia and use nothing but Autometer Carbon Fiber faced gauges!

Should be pretty slick, so stay tunned! Also have some last new surprizes on the motor as well!

Doug

So Idecided enough manual labor for a day, time to do something fun. So first try on our CNC at work, got this damn near perfect!

So, should I (when I do the final one) paint it to match the car, mill it out of Aluminum or Carbon Fiber (provided I can get a sheet of it).

Also, cleaned the chasis, but after a few days I realized with out sandblasting I was never going to get it clean enough to do what I wanted. So, alas the next one will have the perfectly detailed chasis.

Thanks guys enjoy!
17270883.jpg

17270885.jpg

17270887.jpg

Back