• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Swedish Pony Car (242tic)

Today got under the hood preped and primed, just have to go get the paint in the next day or two and start spraying!

Also got the motor stripped down to a long block again. I think I'll leave the cylinder head off untill I get closer to putting it back in (help keep dust out of the motor), basicly just cleaning it (looked pretty nasty again), fix a bunch of oil leaks and do a few other things.

Heres a couple pics
17305319.jpg

17305334.jpg

:D Not bad I think. Got the first coats on tonight, do some color sanding tomorrow-thursday and hopefully get some clear coat on it by this weekend!

Woo Im proud of myself lol
17421344.jpg

17421640.jpg

17421675.jpg

Keeping the blue motor, just wanted to see if I still liked it (still do). I also need to use one of our smaller guns for up under the strut towers and such... maybe actually mask off the a-arms this time DOH

lol, still not bad I think

Doug

Well, hit the point of no return. I ripped ALL the wiring out behind the dash.. probably 10 lbs worth! My painless wiring kit should be here tomorrow so this weekend will be busy busy busy!

Have some pictures eventually... not much to look at. Still waiting on parts to show up

lol... well I took the plunge. After doing the Megasquirt and going all new gauges I realized that almost 90 percent of my wiring was pretty much useless now. So, I ripped, cut, sodered, cuss'd and wrap and this is what I ended up with so far.

Now... just to find out of things work eventually!

(btw, using a Painless Wiring Harness Universal Fuse Block)
18098422.jpg

Thats what I started with
18098423.jpg

Thats what was left
18098425.jpg

Thats all there will be under the hood now (except the main engine harness, but thats all hidden for the most part too)
18098426.jpg

Oh, just some test fitting (see if I could see the speedo/tach between the wheel). Soon to be CF thanks to Nick!!!

Doug

Well, the front half of the car is wired... all I can say is Im going to shoot who ever thought the bulb failure indicator was a good idea. Basicly, after an hour or two of scratching my head (actually, probably my butt) I finally figured out what was going.

So, basicly, if you ever consider gutting all the wiring, email I'll give you a long list of pointers.

But, had to "test" the gauge panel lights :D
18521206.jpg

Well, 90 percent of everything is, wired and working!!! Fuse block is "in" but not mounted yet. Still have a few items to get wired up then I should be done. :D

Heres a sight for sore eyes ;)
18596626.jpg

18596627.jpg

18596629.jpg

(temporary fuse block location)
18596637.jpg

(have to love the power lead running out side of the car)
18596632.jpg

And for the ricer inside of me :D

Came up with a new system for the oil return today. Basicly I tapped the block with a 3/4 pipe thread tap, and am using 3/4 pipe thread fittings.

But basicly, you tap the hole (do this with the pan off obviously if possible) and then just thread in your fitting. Use a bottom tap type one, (ie, not a tapered tap or your not going to be able to get it in far enough to tap it effectively) and thats it.

Heres a couple pictures:
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Thats my new oil return line btw, I just have to get it welded tomorrow. Basicly, I just cut off, then drilled out the original, used some electrical condiut (if memory serves) bent it to what I wanted and flared the end a bit to help seal the hose. Should work out rather well :D

Enjoy,

Doug

The motors back in..transmission-less at the moment, but its in. Its going to require some creative thinking to get the turbo-IC plumbed and I had to make some room on the strut tower to fit the turbo (hammer did the job... still have to move a bit more of it).

18983194.jpg

18983196.jpg

18983197.jpg

18976505.jpg

Doug

Back