• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Latest addition to the family

Exhaust leak is fixed - the rear gasket fell out of place. Car is running and driving now. Weird wiggle in the front end, ABS light is on - pulled codes 322, 123 and 121 last time. Haven't pulled codes again yet.

Haven't pulled the brakes or suspension yet... no worries, getting the goods from the 945.

Can't recall if the speedo worked this time or not. :oops:

nice buy mate.
looks like you know what your doing with restoring it back to its former beauty.
dont drive it too long with that milky oil tho.

Thanks!

Oil is clean, coolant has a bit of oil in it though. Hoping it's just residue from a previous HG failure. Otherwise it's not a huge deal - just rather not replace the HG.

Volans are sounding sweet though. ;-)

You probably checked but I know code 121 off the top of my head is for the AMM. If you unplug it it'll throw the code.

YLD244: Swapped the rad out since I broke the upper neck off the stocker - I hope that's all it was!

Psycho: Pulled the codes from the brake pin (Box A, Pin 3)
1-2-1 Left side front wheel sensor: faulty signal at speed less than 40km/h
1-2-3 Left side rear wheel sensor: faulty signal at speed less than 40km/h
3-2-2 Right front wheel sensor: irregular interference at speeds over 40 km/h

Probably needs the sensors cleaned/replaced.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BrakesABS.html#ABSDiagnosticCodeRetrieval

Now we have high idle - not seeing any glaring vacuum leaks. Hrmm...

Also, got more oil in the overflow tank after a test drive or 2. Could be residual crap from the block/head... I didn't flush it very well. Full flush next, then we'll see.

Driving it to work tomorrow, ~75 miles round trip - should be a hoot.

Spent all afternoon and the better part of the evening swapping the suspension and IPD sway onto the front of the car.

Mmm... Rakey:
308aaffe.jpg

Fixed the high idle too - somehow the throttle cable was would too tight - the metal throttle stop wasn't reaching the all-the-way closed point. I think they were compensating for a vacuum leak maybe.

Odds are good no one is really reading this anymore - I tend to make these threads as much for me to remember what I've done as anything.

If anyone is still reading, please help keep me from making another new post and answer this...

The hood paint is shot on this car. Not sure what they did to it, but it's cracked and looks like the squirter was removed with violence.

I have access to a black hood, but I don't really want to do 'the black hood thing'... what if I used the black hood and the black cowl though?
Please see rudimentary Paint representation:
951ecb0f.jpg

thoughts?
Too cop-carish?

Does this picture make my rake look big?
78b4518f.jpg

Seems to photograph better from this side.

Gonna borrow my daughter's Pentax DSLR to get good pics of the car when it's all clean. Still haven't cleaned forward of the doors - also, haven't even had to touch the interior yet.

Hands-down the cleanest used car (not from a lot) that I've ever bought.

In order to get a working speedo...
Replaced this:
fffc31bd.jpg

With this:
d0e42d95.jpg

Documenting here in case I need to look it up for insurance reasons or whatever.
41153 miles off original.

Huh... guess you're right. Didn't even pay it any attention.

Ah well, JY speedo.

Will that cause it any harm?

Speedo appears to be working ok - I may crack it back open and put this circuit board onto the old speedo, but not a huge priority.

Losing oil and water. No puddles, no visible leaks - looks like the HG may be toast afterall.
Thinking I should just swap in the motor from the 945... Squirter block, all new gaskets, rings, bearings, ported head and manifolds. Seems easier than replacing the HG in this motor.

Should I swap in the 94 trans as well? Weren't they using the AW-72L or something by then?

Back