• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to the fleet - 1988 745 turbo

Chris_R

Kickin' rocks in sandals
Just added a new ride to the fleet.

1988 740 Turbo wagon

The PO didn't know anything about cars - told me it was running 8% boost. LOL! He was also not 'into cleaning'.
Luckily the PPO knew about cars and incorporated the right people to help get it fixed up.

A few of the items I've found:
Autometer boost and AFR gauges in the A pillar
Blaupunkt CD stereo system including 10" sub (entry level stuff, but saves me the grief)
iPD sways
Euro headlights
Clear corners
Metal radiator
3" cat-back exhaust - Well, it would be if it had a cat.
Eggcrate grill - this is stock, no?
MBC
CF shift knob
Chrome pedal covers
965 tail lights
SAM rear spoiler with clear 3rd brake light
Tint (chrome-y - BLECH)
Intrax springs (makes my lowered 850 wagon look tall)
These 16" rims (filthy! but on the road to recovery)
4275.jpg

Here's a pic from when I picked it up:

88745Turbo.jpg

More pics and info as I get it.

It needs 2 tires, paint (eventually) and a goooood cleaning! She's a 20 footer, but I like her! Seen/coveted this car for a long time and got lucky enough that they responded to the note I left when she was broken down in the Kroger parking lot for 2+ weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll be taking more pics after she's cleaned up a bit. The rims are odd - 5x112 with adapters according to the site. I guess VW and Mercedes wheels are a possibility too.

Morer (dirty) pics...

More pics (yes it is DIRTY!):

The reunited sisters:
000_0049.jpg

Sooty soot soot:
000_0047.jpg

Mmmm, Gaugey:
000_0053.jpg

Wow, he left the CD player:
000_0054.jpg

And the big-ol bandpass sub box:
000_0050.jpg

Complete w/amp:
000_0051.jpg

...and sub under glass:
000_0052.jpg

She's a dirty girl from the Dirty South:
000_0056.jpg

and the dent:
000_0044.jpg

That'll buff out, right?

Here's the big funny for the day. I checked the tranny fluid, PO obviously had not - I had to move a hose to get to the dipstick and it smeared the non-smeared oil... Tranny is empty. What are the odds I can throw some ATF in there and drive her?

Wouldn't that be a peach?

That thing will look nice once cleaned up Chris.
FYI, i went and drove that local 740T the other day. Mechanically nice but cosmectically pretty bad off. Bad paint job and an interior in need of help.

Nice find though. Is it boosting well? Leakin anything?

sweet find

Im glad you picked this up Chris. For the money, it was unbeatable!! Even better to hear you drove it tonight. Can't wait till the next meet. Nice to have more RWD representing! If you need help working on it, I know it inside-out.

Oh yeah - everyone ready for the big funnay?

I fixed the transmission tonight. How you might ask?

I added 3 quarts of ATF.

impulse922 said:
that shifter is so funny looking, that car does have potential though.

It's suppose to an E-Brake handle, honda stuff. That is a very beautiul 745, if I owned one I'd want it to look just like that, bigger wheels of course. Sweet find and nice job "fixing the tranny"

Very nice find! I did not know the Intrax springs wold lower that low.A very stance i say.Damn, i should get somw Intrax springs! Nahh,I think i'll stick with the B&G/Lesejors springs.

Awesome clean looking car. Where did you find the spoiler with 3rd brakelight? I've have been looking everywhere for one locally. I know you can get them from SAM, but I missed out on the group buy.

ShadowofBob said:
Awesome clean looking car. Where did you find the spoiler with 3rd brakelight? I've have been looking everywhere for one locally. I know you can get them from SAM, but I missed out on the group buy.

That's going to be an ongoing bummer - I have NO IDEA where most of these goodies came from. The PPO hooked it up nicely though - just the way I would have wanted (except with bigger wheels). The spoiler has been on there for over 2 years though - that I'm sure of.

These wheels, if I understood the webpage right, have adapter/spacers that convert to 5x112. According to my research that would be a Mercedes/VW polt pattern. I may need to go 'find' some AMG wheels someday. ;)

In looking I don't believe that it actually has a 3" turboback exhaust... I need to get it on a lift and get a look at the underside. It's DEFINITELY not stock. Good and loud. Mmmm...

Vol240vo said:
That is a very beautiul 745, if I owned one I'd want it to look just like that, bigger wheels of course.

Likewise on your 242 (except methinks those Polaris wheels are juuust right!)... It is SO sexy.

I'd like to fix the dent and repaint her silver... That is pretty far down the list though.
The PO told me his brother was tapped in the tail and it caused the dent. I'll see if a pop-a-dent guy can do anything with it. Paint is unbroken so wish me luck!

The Road to Recovery

... is a long and winding one.

Spent about 2 hours today on this one wheel. Oh well, I have time but not much money.

Before front:
VolvoWheels001.jpg

Before back:
VolvoWheels006.jpg

After Back:
VolvoWheels010.jpg

After front:
VolvoWheels011.jpg

That was a thick layer of rusted-in brake dust so I used a combination of chemicals, sandpaper and elbow grease. Then finished with polishing compound and carnuba wax.
A little paint for the bolts and ta-daa!!

1 down, 3 to go.

Last edited:
Thanks! I agree on the color. Needs to be repainted, but I'll be going silver again.

Did that 3rd pic come up REALLY big? I resized it at photobucket but can't tell cuz I think it's loading from my cache.

Looks like you have a good project there. I have an 88 745t and still trying to get it on the road. I noticed you have a rear spoiler on that wagon. How is attached to the rear? Bolted, glued?

g@ttigang

Back