• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 My Catalytic Converter was just stolen.

Solo

Someone has taken the liberty to lighten my vehicle just abit while I was at work earlier yesterday afternoon. I need some help to source an original catalytic converter and front pipe for a '94 NA 945 with egr. I've only been able to find the O2 sensor for it. I'm not even sure what an original catalytic converter and its front pipe will cost. The catalytic converter that was taken was the catalytic converter that came with car from the assembly line. I'd like to put back an original catalytic converter back onto this vehicle. As always thank you for any help and/or information that you can provide.

P.S. Just a side note. In the last few hours since this happened. I've had to talk to and ask people for help with this sudden issue. I'm so sad that this part is now missing from my Volvo. I'm still tearing up a bit whenever I have to repeat this phrase to other people. I try hard to take good care of my Volvo. In a few hours I'll be running to/calling a few dealerships to see if they can offer any assistance with this issue, but I understand that with this pandemic going on that I'll receive little to no help at all and my car will run and sound horrid for the foreseeable future. I just hope nothing will be damaged by it missing its cat and O2 sensor. I'll probably receive a few tickets behind this. I just went through a lot just to be able to get my Volvo back on the road four months ago (after four years of it sitting in a shop) and now this. I just wish that I'd caught the person that did this to my Volvo......but I was at work at the time it happened.....I apologize for this side rant.

A little casual clicking around leads me to believe that Volvo no longer sells the OEM original cats. I just had a bit of morbid curiosity about how much that would cost.

About the best you can do is use an aftermarket cat and a good replacement O2 sensor. The O2 sensor does have a large influence on how your car runs, the cat, as long as it doesn't clog, has no influence.

There are a couple of things you need to figure out as the guys are pointing out. You need to determine whether you need a CA spec cat or if it is 49 state. Then you need to determine what engine management system your car has. Either Rex/Regina system or Bosch LH2.4. The O2 sensor is different for each system and if you get the wrong one your car won't run correctly.

Curious what state, if you have CA cat laws or whatnot ?
Here is link at rock auto they say one left $105.79 p.n. 48471 w/egr (no idea on quality)

I have a new 240 cat from RockAuto/Bosal sitting in my living room right now. Construction is solid and the grid looks good. Cannot comment on the accuracy of the fit as I ended up re-using the old cat (matrix was still clear and it passed smog no problem afterwards). It's one piece instead of having crimped seams which is nice. Touch of surface rust at the weld-on flanges but nothing surprising. Could probably put high temp exhaust paint on the outside if you were concerned.

....You can check with a dealer but they are going stick it in and break it off

I know.

....Do you live in an area that has smog checks? The factory cat would be lots of $$$$$

Yes. It will cost much more if I can even find one in new old stock condition. Currently trying to contact all of the dealerships in order to try to track down another cat. As I was told by one parts counter salesperson. "Volvo doesn't keep track of discontinued parts. So you'll have to contact each dealership and ask them if they still have that part in their parts room."

Muffler shop for a Universal, won't happen again.

This I already know, but is it a crime to have your Volvo be as quiet as it can be?

.....The O2 sensor does have a large influence on how your car runs, the cat, as long as it doesn't clog, has no influence.

The original cat was between $800-$1800US, back when they were available from the dealership.

.....The O2 sensor is different for each system and if you get the wrong one your car won't run correctly.

The car is not only LH 2.4 it also has Pulse-Air and Egr. I'm trying to decide if 9135793 or 9135795 is the correct O2 sensor for it. I'm thinking that it needs 9135795. The front pipe is proving to be a bit more troublesome to procure. If I cannot find another oem factory cat, then I'd want to install a CARB-compliant cat, but I cannot find the correct pictures and part numbers for the direct fit models.

...Could probably put high temp exhaust paint on the outside if you were concerned.

What is the part number on that Bosal cat?

Did you get law enforcement involved? Comprehensive insurance? 200 pound Rottweiler?

1. No.
2. None.
3. ....Wha...What?

Last edited:
Where are you? Maybe someone can recommend a good independent muffler shop.

You'll need a new CAT, maybe CA certified, and some replacement pipes. A good local shop can do a original quality level installation. Around here, there's a few independents that do really nice work for not much $$$. They take pride in their work and keep the overhead low.

Best wishes, and sorry that scum has temporarily invaded your happy Volvo space.

my car will run and sound horrid for the foreseeable future. I just hope nothing will be damaged by it missing its cat and O2 sensor. I'll probably receive a few tickets behind this.
Yep, pretty loud coming out of the manifold with no pipe. I'll bet that was a surprise when you fired it up! Sorry to hear someone would do that.

If it's a 94 then it probably had just the single O2 sensor? I'm guessing the computer will default to limp mode but someone else can chime in for the details. For sure, it'll be hard for the computer to maintain any sensible air/fuel ratio... if lean it can detonate, and if rich it can wash excess fuel down the cylinder walls.

Not sure how much of this you already know, or you probably wouldn't be asking about whether anything "can be damaged." I surely wouldn't run like that any longer than I had to.

Sadly, the 200-lb dog wouldn't have helped unless there was a way for him to get out of the car during the moment of need. ;-)

.....Best wishes, and sorry that scum has temporarily invaded your happy Volvo space.

I'll just need a direct replacement cat since I cannot find the original one (1389966), a front pipe (9135305), and an O2 sensor (It's either 9135793 or 9135795. I think that it's going to be 9135795 {engine code is 83}) I may just change out all of the under carriage exhaust system components. I won't trust a shop that wants to weld anything together on my Volvo's exhaust system. I've been to alot of the local shops around here and that is the first thing that they all want to do to your exhaust system. I remember when I had an exhaust leak in my front header pipe (I already knew where the leak was coming from because I'd already smoked the car's exhaust myself before hand) about 10-12 years back. I took it around to about 10-15 of the local shops and they all told me that I had leaks all over the place and that they'd need to weld everything together to get rid of all the leaks that they'd found. A few of them also stated that the leaks that I had were all in bad spots so they'd have to charge me extra to do the work. Since I couldn't find a honest shop, the next morning I went to the dealer, ordered another front pipe, and installed it myself that afternoon.

Sadly, the 200-lb dog wouldn't have helped unless there was a way for him to get out of the car during the moment of need. ;-)

Yes, It is really loud without it's cat in place. I really appreciate this information. I'm not planning to drive it anymore than the 30-45 mins it took for me to get in back in a yard. Even when I had to do that I did it in two stages with a 3-4 hour rest period in-between. The animal would have been hurt by this individual also in addition to the missing cat.

Yes I'd seen and checked out the links that you'd posted, but there wasn't any actual part pictures of that front pipe only an illustration of the part. Also in its description there was no mention if its fittment was for 944 or 945.

Yes I'd seen and checked out the links that you'd posted, but there wasn't any actual part pictures of that front pipe only an illustration of the part. Also in its description there was no mention if its fittment was for 944 or 945.

Yeah illustration isn't much to go on if the front pipes are different for a wagon, I didn't know that detail on the 900 series. I'm wondering if cross referencing the P.N., is an option ?

Sorry to hear about your car, hope you figure it out. Yeah looked around a bit for that pipe, I assume your engine #83 is B230FD(not sure what D stands for). I would suggest contacting Volu parts, Atlanta, if they don't have a new part they sell used OE parts too.

;-)

Last edited:
For the o2 sensor. Save money and buy a three wire universal one at a local autozone or pep boys, or advance auto. It comes with the connectors so you can attach it to the original wiring harness on the car.

I?ve replaced the header pipe on various 7/9 cars and have never seen a reference for wagon to sedan differences. Not even the rest of the exhaust now that I think about it
Also besides the oem cat costing $$$$ wouldn?t the thieves just steal it again?
I?d guess even those scumbag ****ers know the generic replacements aren?t worth anything

Back