• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Following M47 to M46 swap shifting pattern way off

Brotkasten

Jonas
Hello,

I swapped in a M46 into my 940 today along with a new clutch and everything worked out fine until i noticed that the gear pattern is way off. All gears are moved downwards. My shifter is in the position that was neutral but the car is in 3rd. Neutral is where 4 was before and I cant even get in the 2nd and 3rd gear because they are so far down. I tried the M47 and M46 shifters and both did the same thing... I cant wrap my head around what could cause this...

Any ideas?

If the shifter is installed ok. Then there may be something wrong with the linkage from the trans to the shifter. The linkage between the M47 and M46 is different lengths. Are you sure you have the correct length installed?

Did you get your m46 from a 740? The 240 m46 has different shift cage and shift rod.

Did you take the top plate off the m46 at all and look inside?

If you put your shifter in the other way, 180 then the shifter will be bent the other way, but all the gears should be in the same location. If you look at the shifter it's only bent above the shift ball. Normal is with the bend down and towards the driver.

Last edited:
Its a 940 M46.

Because the little arm under the pivot point is straight the problem has to be that the connecting rod to the gearbox is too short. But how could that be...:omg:

We'll it could be the wrong shift rod perhaps. Did you take the complete m46 and shifter and all that out of a 940? Over here in the states there was never ever any 940's sold with any 5 speeds. Could be a 940 shift rod for an m47?

Did you take the top off the m46? If you did that maybe it's messed up inside right there on top where the shift rod goes in there and the shift plate isn't correct..

If you have correct shift cage and shift rod the shift rod will end right underneath the shifter ball hole. If it's not right there then it's not the correct rod or your shift cage isn't bolted on correctly. Was the m46 all complete? Did you take it all out of a car? Did someone sell it to you and just say hey this is all you need? More info needed.

I tried everything on Sunday and Monday. The rod connecting shifter and gearbox is just too short. I dont know why and I cant really imagine anything that could be wrong. The whole M46 came out of a 940. Maybe the previous owner had the top cover off and assembled something wrong.

In the end I just cut, moved and welded the little ring on the bottom of the shifter a bit to the front and lowered it.

I now got a sh**y DIY shortshifter and everything works... :lol:

Back