• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) in P1800

I believe there are other factors at play here such as the Rav4 having ****ty overall steering feel to begin with. EPAS in various vintage make/models should not take away that steering feel if you have it dialed so that it mostly assists at lower speeds. I would not want any EPAS system to assist my 142 at any speed over 15MPH it's only that slow speed parking lot BS that gets to me. :lol:

How's the steering feel though? My only experience with EPAS is in a RAV4, and it sucks.

I believe there are other factors at play here such as the Rav4 having ****ty overall steering feel to begin with. EPAS in various vintage make/models should not take away that steering feel if you have it dialed so that it mostly assists at lower speeds. I would not want any EPAS system to assist my 142 at any speed over 15MPH it's only that slow speed parking lot BS that gets to me. :lol:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Yota's steering is completely lifeless and indirect feeling.

The focus is a rear-mount rack, behind the front wheels/subframe. This means that if you put it in front like on a Volvo, it will go the wrong way. Turning right on a Volvo rack makes the left tie rod shorter, and on the Focus rack it will make the left tie rod longer.

Edit: oops, the steering arms are behind the axle on the Amazon/1800. The above only applies to 2/7/9 which have the rack in front.

122/1800/142/145 all front steer. Sure you can flip the arm on the back of the spindle, but factory is front.

True! And I feel you could get yourself into trouble if you have too much assist at faster speeds. Feedback from the road and how the vehicle handles tells me how we are doing road vs car wise and having that feeling removed could put you in a ballsy situation you're not really prepared for. :)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The Yota's steering is completely lifeless and indirect feeling.

Back