• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Electric Fan Conversion

Here you go:

When using the relay and the saab temp sender, ground one terminal to the chasis and the other terminal goes to the Green/ Orange wire on the relay. That is if you want the saab sender to run the low speed.

I keep my high speed on a toggle switch in the dash on my 240 incase I see high temps in Dallas here. The low speed has kept up with 103? here. I am using the radiator temp sender on the top of the radiator which is a little to warm for me. I will be changing that soon.

Thank you, the help is very much appreciated. I ought to be good to go.

Got my ish wired up. 960 e fan, 92 degree temp switch in the rad wired to the low speed. High speed wired to a switch. Fan cycles twice when car is hot and it is not on too much. Very nice.

Been quite a few years since I updated my original e-fan conversion info. I recently put in a big fan from a Ford T-Bird SC in my 242ti and it is a serious fan. More on it in my e-fan page: http://www.davebarton.com/ElectricCoolingFans.html, but here's what it looks like...
Dave B

coolingfan-sc-7.jpg

can i see some pics of the saab fan switch in line?

it's supposed to go in the lower hose, right?

like on my radiator mount fan switch, one peg to ground, other to relay?

Yup. Just cut your hose in half, stick the t-pipe in there and get a new fan switch from Amazon.

right on...and can you explain to me the correlation between t-stat temp range and fan switch temp range. want this baby prepped for high temp driving, ie desert at 100+ degrees

I run a 92 degree Celcius in the rad itself, and the car runs excellent. I verified head temps were exceptable with an infared thermometer. The fan is turned off at 88 degrees celcius. It will cycle three times on a hot day after I turn off the car. Current temps in Sonoma county have been 80's to 90's. This set up is real nice. I am running the 2 speed fan from a 960 with the relay. LOw speed is controlled by the temp switch. High speed is a center console mounted switch. It is nice to be able to turn on the fan in traffic or after shut down if I want to wrench sooner on a hot engine.

I just completed my fan conversion with the low speed hooked up to a relay switches ground on ignition abd the high speed is hooked to the radiator temp switch.

Should I be concerned about reducing the life of the fan by running the low speed all the time when the key is on?

Btw, the 940/960 shroud and relays look like a factory install is done properly. I'm very pleased.

I run a 92 degree Celcius in the rad itself, and the car runs excellent. I verified head temps were exceptable with an infared thermometer. The fan is turned off at 88 degrees celcius. It will cycle three times on a hot day after I turn off the car. Current temps in Sonoma county have been 80's to 90's. This set up is real nice. I am running the 2 speed fan from a 960 with the relay. LOw speed is controlled by the temp switch. High speed is a center console mounted switch. It is nice to be able to turn on the fan in traffic or after shut down if I want to wrench sooner on a hot engine.

so u didn't do the saab fan switch, but instead did what I did and used a radiator mount fan switch?

I have had problems in the past with the temp switches in the radiator. I just installed an efan on my 242 this weekend and used a relay to power up the low speed anytime the ignition is on. I have a second relay I have yet to wire that will engage high speed when the a/c is turned on, hopefully this will allow the a/c to cool better. So far, low speed is working fine by itself.

right on...and can you explain to me the correlation between t-stat temp range and fan switch temp range. want this baby prepped for high temp driving, ie desert at 100+ degrees

I use an 82 deg t-stat with an 87 deg on, 82 deg off rad mount switch from NAPA and works, cycles great in the Texas heat, keeps the temp exactly at 9:00 (temp comp board by-passed) without waiver at 100 degrees, A/C on max. 3 1/2 years now on e-fan.:cool:

see post #103

with my saab switch and the comp board bypassed I see about 3/4 rise before the fan kicks in. Should that concern me? It never goes to the red. Let me know your thoughts.

Gary

too bad you didn't have an infrared thermometer, but 3/4 is more than i'd like to see. Perfect place is just a tick or two beyond halfway.

I went to O'Reilly's today to see if I could find an 87 degree temp switch, but nobody had any idea what I was talking about. They ended up selling me a "Hayden fan thermostat kit" with a relay, probe, and pigtail. It said it was adjustable from 90 - 210F, but I don't think it has an off temperature as my fan never switched off.

Do you guys just ask for a temp switch and they know what you mean (at NAPA) or do you have to specify a make/model of vehicle that happens to have an 87 on and 82 off temp switch. I think I'm going to re-wire this straight to a 40 amp relay and separate temp switch rather than use a boxed setup. I'd like to simply plug into the temp sender that's already in my radiator and wire a toggle to the interior for high speed.

So I've done some more reading. The two-blade temp. connector is a thermostat? I guess it has a set on-off temperature? This would make a whole lot of sense as I was having difficulty trying to figure out exactly what it was that I've been searching for.

yeah, it grounds at a certain temp, and then makes no more ground after temp has cooled off.it's a grounding switch really.

the hayden adjustable will turn off where you set it to turn off and likewise turn on with the adjust of a screw.

So far my 940 e-fan has been performing great in the Dallas heat, now over 3 yrs.
I use the low speed for general engine cooling, with the upper radiator switch being the NAPA 87 deg on/82 deg off, completing ground for the main fan relay. I switch the main relay by a small 12v/10amp relay with power off the coil + wire to go on only with ignition.

The high speed fan is switched by the pressure sensor in the A/C line to go on when the A/C pressure drops at idle. This has been the best part of the whole conversion, giving me 48 deg at the vents at idle.

Also, I took out the temperature compensaion board and jumpered the pins to by-pass it. This gives you accurate temp readings. My gage is sitting at 8:30 most of the time (winter is about 7:00) and gently rises to ~9:30 then back down to 8:30 when the fan goes on. Prior to putting the lower switching NAPA switch the temp rose to nearly the bottom of the red, then came down when the fan went on.

Do you have a part number for the 87 deg on/82 deg off switch? I would like to just order it from my local parts place instead of seeking out a NAPA - unless only they have.

Well now I have been using the dual speed 960 fan with my AC running and now I need to put in my 100 amp alt. With the car running with multiple accesories I have 12.3 volts at the Battery. I f I turn off the high speed fan and leave everything else on I got 13.4 volts att he terminals.

Back