• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

IPD Turbo cam vs. V cam

Hi,

I am testing the M cam from a b230f in my 230FT with 531 head... and TLAO Chips. (the small dual pattern cam known in US as f cam I think)

The intention is to create a well driveable car with very moderate mods and use a volvo cam with a dual pattern disign with the strong side at the exhaust. The t cam i have never driven in my system with the 531 head and T3 charger.
Well...so far I think compared to the V-cam I lost some torgue at low end (over 2000 rpm). But some people are different opinion about the m cam. I think I am the first one who drives it in a combination with 531 and t3 charger? The V cam is a beast behind 3200 rpm no doubt with the right setup over 6000 and more...

So far I have to play a little bit with other mods and then I can say more about the M-Cam.

I think pretty low end depends on more than only cam specs...or advancing a cam and so on...

That's great Roy! Glad you are enjoying the cam. I am using the enem V15 turbo cam with my B21FT. The powerband you describe is how my 82 turbo runs as well. It has plenty of useful low rpm power. The boost is useful but not powerful around 2500 rpm. Then all hell breaks loose from 3300-3500rpm to 6800rpm redline.

I think what people forget is that the IPD cam is based on the Unitek Phase One which is based on the enem V15. This is a first level street performance cam thus the phase one name. It runs smooth at idle and you can easily pass emissions. The 256 duration is the same as the Volvo B cam so it's not anything radical at all.

For what it's worth, my 1990 745T runs an IPD Turbo cam, and the 530 head has been shaved .020 so the compression ratio should be around 9.1:1. I also live at 3000ft. I did notice a loss of low end torque compared to the T cam and the head with nothing taken off. I have an adjustable cam gear though, I still need to play around with the advance, hopefully I can get some of that low end back.

Also with my K-Jet B23E H cam 244, I can get away with a huge amount of ignition advance with 98 octane fuel at this altitude. When I head down towards sea level I have to be careful to avoid giving it much throttle below 3000 rpm or it will ping.

So, update time :

I've installed the IPD Turbo cam and drove it 1200kms. My setup is exactly the same as with the "V" cam. What's happend?

My car have now a very nice torque from 1200 to 2500 RPM, and after that, pulls like hell to 6000+ RPM !!! I can drive it in 5th gear in the city without any hesitation, and I feel my motor is ok. And also in the mid-range, it revs very happily and fast!

It's a very huge improvment!!!

Don't spend your time and money, buy the IPD Turbo cam!
Sounds good to me. :-P

And I've tried also the different timing setup, and now when the cam is retarded 4 deg, my car have a lot of low end torque, and pulls far better from mid to high revs!!! I'm sure now with the Nathan Intake and it's shorter runners, I've find the best setup! So I'll let the IPD T cam for a while in my car!

And I've tried also the different timing setup, and now when the cam is retarded 4 deg, my car have a lot of low end torque, and pulls far better from mid to high revs!!! I'm sure now with the Nathan Intake and it's shorter runners, I've find the best setup! So I'll let the IPD T cam for a while in my car!

Roy why you change the IPD to RSI? I drive V now with -4 regresed and it pulls good but after 3000, when i put IPD it will be better?

The RSI Stage 2 is a far more aggressive cam over the IPD, but with a nice power band also. It's for me the best combo with my setup... ;-)

In my car, the IPD cam was better as the V, so I think you'll have a nice upgrade if you install it...

This is so beautiful about turbobricks....

Someone responds on a three year old discussion and within a day he gets an answer from the same guy who posted the last post three years ago...as if it was yesterday!

Back