• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

downpipe advice needed 83 242glt

swrd2k

looking to make a new downpipe for my 240 I was just wondering what most people did about upsizing the 2.25 inch exhaust port on the hotside for a 3 inch setup. 99% sure I have the garrett t3. Currently have stock downpipe with big ol cat

At one time this place offered a T3 to 3 inch stainless downpipe flange and I bought one for my downpipe, but it appears they now only offer one for T25/Td04. https://genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=621

So far my searching cannot find any other suppliers.

DPFlange.jpg

I had 5 flanges made a few years ago, found the dwg cad file here and downloaded it to a cd and took it to my water jet guy. Everyone here wanted a 3" downpipe till it came time to cough up some cash. I sold all but one of what I called a downpipe starter kit.

I think I still have a flange, I also have a used downpipe I don't need as I switched to a Holset but I made these for 740/940.

I think I found one place https://martelius.com/en/downpipe-cone-flange-assembly-volvo-saab is this the same piece? I just don't know if its 3 inch

No. That looks like the stock small diameter only.

They make them to order in 2 sizes.

martelius said:
Downpipe cone + flange assembly for building your own downpipe. Fits to original turbo of: Volvo 240 /740 / 940 turbo and Saab 900 ng / 9-3 og / 9-5 all turbo models except diesel. Outlet is 70mm as standard, or 76mm upon request.

Check with Burns Stainless in Ca. I used them when I built the S/S exhaust for my V8 wagon. Made many more exhausts with their products.

I had 5 flanges made a few years ago, found the dwg cad file here and downloaded it to a cd and took it to my water jet guy. Everyone here wanted a 3" downpipe till it came time to cough up some cash. I sold all but one of what I called a downpipe starter kit.

I think I still have a flange, I also have a used downpipe I don't need as I switched to a Holset but I made these for 740/940.
I honestly wouldn't mind a used downpipe I got the car for pretty cheap so obviously not trying to spend a ton but what would you take for it?, and would 740/940 have pretty similar fit

Output flange on T3 is the same as the little bitty mitsu turbo. Just be ready to modify the wastegate for a bit more flow. When you go to a 3" exhaust. You make it more efficient so you can encounter boost creep from the wastegate not flowing as well as the exhaust. When this happened to me I got a wastegate from Cherry Turbos which flowed better and solved the problem. Just going to the exhaust without any other changes raised the boost pressure 2psi.

Output flange on T3 is the same as the little bitty mitsu turbo. Just be ready to modify the wastegate for a bit more flow. When you go to a 3" exhaust. You make it more efficient so you can encounter boost creep from the wastegate not flowing as well as the exhaust. When this happened to me I got a wastegate from Cherry Turbos which flowed better and solved the problem. Just going to the exhaust without any other changes raised the boost pressure 2psi.

so you removed the stock internal wastegate and went external wastegate or got a bigger internal one? I will definitely do this I am not looking to go crazy on boost but a little more with a more efficient exhaust sounds like the plan.

Back