• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 custom headliners?

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
obviously this is pretty easy to do in a 7xx/9xx car since the headliner is an actual unit, whereas the 240 headliners aren't?

So what I'm asking then is "how would one go about making a custom 2xx headliner?"

Seems like it would be kind of cool to make the 245 a little more "me" if you will, so I was playing around with the idea.

Also, has anyone other than Brickster151 done this?

Since the headliner in wagon is a thin sheet of vinyl I'd think that you could remove and paint or stain it whatever color you want. I haven't heard of anyone doing this so I don't know what product to use. Once you figure that out and you wanted to get real crazy you could probably paint a mural on the thing. Now that would be totally original! Good Luck!

Taking out the rear window is not too hard, that is what I did the first time I did my headliner for the 244. With a 245 though it would be easy.

Just get some material [not too thin], some good headliner adhesive, work out any bubbles, let it dry and it'll be good to go.

well does the 2xx headliner have just a metal bow frame or is it like the 7xx headliner where there's actually something to glue to?

na the trim just has a lip and kinda slips under another lip in the rubber seal, but no skeleton like the front window. The window is super easy to put back in, and you dont really have to mess with the trim, but if any of it comes off.... ive never got it back on...

I realize this is an old, old thread, but I thought I'd chime in since I am in the midst of removing my '90 245 headliner so that my body shop guy can seal up my old roof rack holes (long story).

I started at the rear, which was easy enough, but got as far as the spot just behind the rear doors, where there's a bit of a curve. I called a local Volvo mechanic to see if they could help. That guy informed me that, even if I can get the thing off, no way will I be able to get it back on, because they shrink over time -- and it's been 30 years!

So, I might need to get creative when the time comes to try to put something back on up there...

Plaid.

20201121_131029.jpg

Get sewin'

I realize this is an old, old thread, but I thought I'd chime in since I am in the midst of removing my '90 245 headliner so that my body shop guy can seal up my old roof rack holes (long story).

I started at the rear, which was easy enough, but got as far as the spot just behind the rear doors, where there's a bit of a curve. I called a local Volvo mechanic to see if they could help. That guy informed me that, even if I can get the thing off, no way will I be able to get it back on, because they shrink over time -- and it's been 30 years!

So, I might need to get creative when the time comes to try to put something back on up there...

It is totally do-able. I've removed and installed 3 or 4 in my various 245's over the years, mostly to paint them black. Just take your time and it is pretty much self explanatory. You may have to slightly Ben's some of the ridge where the hard plastic fits into or kinda pry the pieces out but with a little patience you should be able to get a 245 headliner in or out without damaging anything. As far as it shrinking making it impossible to reinstall... Pffft. I have a speaker box and sub box underneath my headliner currently. It stretched the headliner, but nothing too crazy.
Good luck.

Back