• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amplifier cooling = speakers buzzing

LeedomtoFreedom

Basically I've got 2 amps tucked in the passenger rear well. After a while they get very hot, so I've decided to add a cooling fan. It's just a 12v DC computer fan. plenty of airflow.

The question is that when I have the fan on it causes the speakers to buzz pretty loudly. I'm guessing it's feedback in the system. Originally I had the fan hooked to the 12v signal wire on the amp which caused the buzz. Switched to a direct 12v switched circuit to the front from a spare fuse box, still the same buzz.

I don't totally understand the workings of amps and radio noise and all this. Just looking for some leads or any light on this situation.

It is a ground problem. Play with ground locations until it goes away, I would start with grounding it to where the amp is grounded. You can use the signal wire if it is large enough, I would use 14 gauge or so.

I've thought about doing something like that. My amp is in the compartment under the floor of the wagon. Perhaps a computer fan?

I'll have a look at grounds

I picked up a 120mm 3 wire fan for a computer. Dead cheap off eBay. I'm pretty sure 120 is fairly standard for computers.

It's just a 12v DC computer fan.

Which fan specifically? computer fans are electrically noisy, more so with the cheap ones. Most of them are either controlled with an external PWM signal, or can vary their own speed using an internal thermistor. Have you tried a different fan?

Back