• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Some hose clamps Volvo utilized are great

ABA clamps are the version volvo uses. I've seen rust on them being up here where the brine rules the winter roads. But even rusty once you spray with a bit of penetrating oil they usually work fine. I've only had them fail from being overtightened.

Domestic cars have always used the worm drive clamps that gouge into the rubber hose from overtightening. Maybe some other Euro car makes use the good ABA clamps but I don't know. Porsche maybe?

I've gotten into the habit of having various ABA sizes on hand, they're excellent clamps.

Also, not sure if they were replaced by a previous owner, but I pulled AWAB clamps from my 850 that while they looked like garbage, they cleaned up and operated without issue.

Last edited:
I always appreciate the ones which have embossed slots for the gear engagement rather than punched holes. Chews up the hose less when tight.

They?re decent?

MBZ have stainless w/nice rolled edge, but the screw itself is even on those mild if JY shopping but the post chrysler MBZ aren?t as good as the older style and finding MBZ w/7mm screws for your 7mm driver to match the rest of your Volvo & clamps in the cabin on the heater core & valve is a challenge for the anal/picky?

& my picquic super-8 multi screwdriver w/mariner anti-corrosion bits, I have to install the alternate sleeve for 7mm (larger than 1/4?, but smaller than 5/16? on the sleeve it comes with?) or use the 1/4? nut driver w/a socket which means not having it loaded and ready to go in the multi (tho you can use the flat/blade slot / similar but I prefer to use the 7mm hex?)

No big deal on the mild cad plated screw if you remove the screw and coat it in super thick grease (don?t get any grease that might dissolve rubber on on the hoses themselves!).

Idk who would have a corrosion resistant military grade inconel screw on a hose clamp?we can only dream to actually materially benefit a little more as mere peons from the ~$786billlion (as of ~5 years ago/budget that somehow never shrinks?) military budget a bit more tangibly?

Short of fancy t-bolt clamps, haven?t found anything better than junkyard -?95 pre-Chrysler MBZ hose clamps for automotive and even the marine grade don?t match the rest of the Volvo great?

The MBZ the band is a little narrower and threads are softer/smaller being stainless so don?t man handle or over tighten them for both the long long term health of the hose & clamp?

The OE hose clamps are OK. They?re too stiff to seal well in some applications, and when they get crusty it?s easy to strip them out.

I just buy these from McMaster, choose the grade of SS you want and rock on. I really like them on intercooler and turbo plumbing, 30psi + proper beaded tubes = no connections blowing apart. 4 sizes will cover most volvo engine bays and leave you with some spares as well. I keep a spare 7mm nut-driver in the car, which you can get from McMaster for less than $10.

https://www.mcmaster.com/hose-clamps/worm-drive-clamps-with-smooth-bands-for-soft-hose-and-tube-8/

I have a giant jar of junkyard MBZ SS and just double up the clamps on the intercooler hoses?
?agreed that the Volvo clamps are a bit wide and stiff snd the hoses can squirm out from under them?

But I have more just school of hard knocks than insider industry knowledge or formal education & ?do no harm? w/more time than money, or did in years past and hate buying anything new If I don?t have to?

That said, I?d do what cullberro suggests to nail (clamp?) stuff down?

The picquic bits snap in the drill with the wobble or little mini-screw gun to wind them down nicely with some grease or anti-seize on the screw threads?
?power tools are faster winding on flanged 6-pt hex screws, but feeling stuff & verifying proper smooth threading winding it down slow & being gentle is important too if it?s your own car and you want to keep it 50,000 years or so & as close to factory as possible without getting stranded/ having unexpected unplanned ?issues??

Last edited:
This guy did a rapid-fire test of a lot of different styles.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jtMPq2lG-8U" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've also found the Gates Power-Grip heat shrink clamps to be super useful.

When I buy the clamps all the way on the right in the video for the air handling turbo pipes. The shop told me about the Gates heat shrink clamps. I didn't try them but they seem like a great product if you have the room to get all around them with the heat source.

The ABA clamps supplied on US 240's are very fine, but are made of plated steel, not stainless. The very same clamp is available from marine suppliers, such as Defender, in 316 stainless.

For a history of hose clamps, prominently featuring ABA, check this article. If you scroll down, there is a sidebar all about how these clamps were invented in Sweden.

Back