• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

patrickstars 1983 242 4.8L/AR5 swap

ar5 swap

Hey I see a cressy , i had one till it rotted out but it was the foundation of my new project
which is the volvo 240 with a 7mgte which was in the cressida.
Nice going !!!! :oogle:

Hey I see a cressy , i had one till it rotted out but it was the foundation of my new project
which is the volvo 240 with a 7mgte which was in the cressida.
Nice going !!!! :oogle:

That would be my good friends drift cressida. 2JZ, CD009, a whole bunch of SerialNine suspension bits. Its a fun car. It reminds me a lot of 740s/940s

TxFYpGkl.jpg

Got the bumper and core support installed last night and bolted the shifter in. Shifter position is perfect for me, stoked on that.

Also, drove up to the closest driveshaft shop (hr away). Brought my old driveshaft, a bunch of drawings, and measurements. After explaining what I was doing and why, I had a group of 5 boomers circled around looking at pictures of the car and swap. They couldn't believe someone would ever V8 swap a Volvo

js9sQE3l.jpg

Dropped the 92+ 940 NA radiator in last night. I had to modify the C-channel across the top to get it to fit with the stock brackets, even after trimming the legs on the bottom

0su1gn2l.jpg

This is what it looks like fully mounted. I think it'll clear the hood, I need to bring it up to the shop to see. Everyone else says thats how much sticks out on theirs, so I'm not worried too much

Lu2Gbydl.jpg

However, clearance between e-fan and radiator hose is non-existent. I'm gonna try to angle the radiator as far forward as possible to gain some clearance. Also realizing that I shouldn't have gotten the highmount passenger side alternator bracket, as an intake is gonna be a b**** to route. I'll deal with that when I get there

lniZmSUl.jpg

Ordered a two-piece driveshaft on Friday, the shop said it'll be done Wednesday. I'm waiting on another order of parts to show up for the fuel system. Decided I'd get something done and get the front end back together this weekend.

NpybiVVl.jpg

Got a new shift knob and 3" extender, put the knob at the perfect position for me. Also installed the hydraulic clutch and bolted in the brake booster/master, need a hand from a friend to get the clutch master bolted in. I have a late black dash to put in, but its gonna be pretty bare inside

ysGSVcsl.jpg

VfSK887l.jpg

Got my driveshaft on Friday from a shop an hour away

wfAmo8vl.jpg

flp9Uqdl.jpg

Put the car on the lift and the driveshaft was too long. After doing some measuring, it looks like they didn't factor in the length of the slip-yoke and flange yoke. I measured from the transmission output seal to the face of the differential flange and got 53", with all 4 wheels on the ground. Overall driveshaft length was near 57". I'm going to take it back this week and have them shorten it a few inches and rebalance. Another 2hr round trip for that :roll:

Put the car on the lift and the driveshaft was too long. After doing some measuring, it looks like they didn't factor in the length of the slip-yoke and flange yoke. I measured from the transmission output seal to the face of the differential flange and got 53", with all 4 wheels on the ground. Overall driveshaft length was near 57". I'm going to take it back this week and have them shorten it a few inches and rebalance. Another 2hr round trip for that :roll:

you should take it back and have them make it a 2 piece...seriously.

you also dont measure driveshaft length from seal to flange. You measure from center of u-joint to center of u-joint cup.

you also dont measure driveshaft length from seal to flange. You measure from center of u-joint to center of u-joint cup.

I told them I didn’t have a yoke or flange yoke and they were 100% okay with my measurements. I brought in multiple diagrams and measurements, and confirmed atleast 4 times that it was from transmission face to differential flange.

We measured the driveshaft they gave me from center of u-joint to center of u-joint anyway, and it wasn't 53". So no matter what, there was a screw up somewhere

Last edited:
I told them I didn?t have a yoke or flange yoke and they were 100% okay with my measurements. I brought in multiple diagrams and measurements, and confirmed atleast 4 times that it was from transmission face to differential flange.

We measured the driveshaft they gave me from center of u-joint to center of u-joint anyway, and it wasn't 53". So no matter what, there was a screw up somewhere

Thats an unfortunate situation

The driveshaft shop I use says to measure from the end of the trans hard case (i.e. ignore any seals sticking out) to the rear axle's bare flange. One measurement at ride height, and another at full droop.

And then they figure out what length the shaft itself between those things is. I've had them make 2 driveshafts for me so far - on T5 - Volvo axle, and more recently a CD009 - Volvo axle. And at some point a CD009 - Ford 8.8 as well.

The driveshaft shop I use says to measure from the end of the trans hard case (i.e. ignore any seals sticking out) to the rear axle's bare flange. One measurement at ride height, and another at full droop.

And then they figure out what length the shaft itself between those things is. I've had them make 2 driveshafts for me so far - on T5 - Volvo axle, and more recently a CD009 - Volvo axle. And at some point a CD009 - Ford 8.8 as well.

This was how I measured mine; multiple order forms use the same method. I thought I'd be okay, guess not.

It sounds like the shop just didn't want to do the work to begin with really.

I'm assuming you meant to quote "the first driveshaft shop I went to said they couldn't make one in my specs"

I wanted a 2.5" two-piece with a 1.77" ID carrier bearing, like a stock Volvo driveshaft. They said that it was impossible to build it with those specs, and the smallest they could do is 3.5".

I could have waited to find a stock driveshaft and have it modified, but I was trying to have my car in our big local carshow this past weekend. After this whole ****show, that wasn't gonna happen.

Find a stock 2 piece driveline, all you need is to shorten or lengthen the front half. You measure center of the u joints end to end. Pull out the slip joint about a 1 inch allow for travel.

Back