• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Small Block Chevy in a 240

I already have the sbc, it is the motor I will use because 1) I dont want to go through the process of finding and buying an LS from a junkyard in unknown condition. 2) the 283 sbc I already have is a very basic motor with no electronic fuel injection or other things that are new to me. plus I already have a little experience working on them. 3) as I previously mentioned the 283 was free. It sits in our field under a tarp. I am trying to do this on a relatively low budget so I will stick with the sbc.

So with that being said I think the correct thing to do would be take it to a machine shop and have it torn down and gone over so I can have it assembled and returned to me in running order. What are peoples thoughts on this? I do not know the last time this motor ran.

I already have the sbc, it is the motor I will use because 1) I dont want to go through the process of finding and buying an LS from a junkyard in unknown condition. 2) the 283 sbc I already have is a very basic motor with no electronic fuel injection or other things that are new to me. plus I already have a little experience working on them. 3) as I previously mentioned the 283 was free. It sits in our field under a tarp. I am trying to do this on a relatively low budget so I will stick with the sbc.

So with that being said I think the correct thing to do would be take it to a machine shop and have it torn down and gone over so I can have it assembled and returned to me in running order. What are peoples thoughts on this? I do not know the last time this motor ran.

sounds low budget

Well... I can tell you now that rebuilding a weathered-by-the-elements engine can get expensive FAST!

The most budget friendly option would be to buy a sh!t box with a running engine and pull it out.

I'm a fan for the SBC, there is so many after market parts that are not that expensive. If you are going to put one in your car it might as well be a fresh motor. I could build you one but I'm on the east coast.

So given your constraints and desires that might be the correct thing to do at this point.

But you will need to keep an open mind as the machine shop might find it cost prohibitive to bring it back into acceptable condition.

Hard to tell long-distance but it appears you are romantically dead set on using this 283. Which is fine, but may not end up being budgetarily possible. (your budget)

"It sits in our field under a tarp."

That right there is a red flag.

2 MANY TURBOS/Roy,

I've been outa here for a while, BUT...my son is dead-set on putting my 383 Chevy/M-22 Muncie in his very clean '83 244, manual trans. Don't want to hijack this thread, but OP's 283 and our 383 are both "old school" SB.. Just wondering about transmission fit with Muncie, and clutch cable engineering.

383 Chevy / Muncie

2 MANY TURBOS/Roy,

I've been outa here for a while, BUT...my son is dead-set on putting my 383 Chevy/M-22 Muncie in his very clean '83 244, manual trans. Don't want to hijack this thread, but OP's 283 and our 383 are both "old school" SB.. Just wondering about transmission fit with Muncie, and clutch cable engineering.

Been there done that

We love LS motors in NC but you can do something with what you have. Keeping it a small displacement may be cool for higher revving. Why couldn't he package this block right with good heads a bottom end and a ram TPI or fuel injected intake with twin spoolers? Hell! I was wondering could I mate the power glide to the redblocks :)

Regards
Hubert

2 MANY TURBOS/Roy,

It should fit just fine. The Muncie is smaller than a TH-400. I have no idea where the shifter will end up.

I think you'll need to bump out the tunnel on the left side to fit the shifter and rods. I know that's what John Lane had to do on the T-10/Jerico trans.

Just ordered the jtr stealth conversion manual. even If I don't decide to go the sbc route I think it will be a valuable resource. in the meantime, a question for guys that have done the swap. What were some of the most difficult problems to solve?

The JTR book you just purchased (honestly I thought you would have purchased that a two months ago) will detail all of the problems you will have to overcome in great detail.

While you're waiting for it to arrive, head on over to the projects forum and peruse what people have done to make X fit in Y volvo.

No bragging about my own stuff, but my pbase has images of two different v8 engine swaps into a 240 to give you a sense of what you're in for. https://www.pbase.com/740atl

Last edited:
Back