• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Last coil pack

Dvroofer

Ls coil pack

I am working on my 1991 240 b230f I’m doing some upgrades and would like to do them in the correct order. I am a week away from purchasing my megasquirt system. My question is should and how do I install a ls coil pack. I will purchase the whole set from yoshifab but have no idea about what is technically involved in the install. I also do not know if I need to do this before or after I get the ecu. Can anyone point me to a post in which this is covered? I’m not sure about any of the wiring and haven’t yielded any search results

Try using google search to search the site for EZK wasted spark install. The member here user name Duder sells wasted spark kits. I believe you can also use an LS type coil for the wasted spark setup.

Do you know whether you are going to do wasted spark or are you planning for full sequential on fuel and spark with individual coils for each cylinder. That would be a good thing to figure out first because it will determine whether you need just a crank position signal or both a crank and cam position signal.

I suggest that you get the MSExtra Set up and Hardware manuals and read them

https://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/

You should be able to figure out what you need to do after reading the manuals or at least be able to ask slightly more focused questions. Read the manuals before making any additional purchases.

If you are stuck on using LS coils, there are a pile of GM products sitting in junk yards with those coils. You can probably get them for $10 - $15 each at a pick and pull if and when you need them. I picked up the four Denso COPs I use on my car for $35 at my local pick and pull.

Last edited:
You can use an Ls-coil pack in a wasted spark mode.
At least microsquirt is capable of this, so i'm thinking that ms is too.

You can use an Ls-coil pack in a wasted spark mode.
At least microsquirt is capable of this, so i'm thinking that ms is too.

That?s what I wanted to know thank you. I understand now I cannot utilize this without either chippable ecu or a standalone system. Ill be googling more info. Does anyone have a link to find how to wire the coil pack into the harness?
Thanks for the help.

A MicroSquirt with the Volvo 60-2 tooth flywheel/flexplate (from LH2.4 cars) can run 4x LS coils in wasted spark mode. With this setup, the distributor can be removed.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Microsquirt_Hardware-3.4.pdf/Microsquirt_Hardware-3.4.html

You cannot run 4x LS coils using the stock Volvo LH2.4 ECU+EZK setup. If you buy an "EZK wasted spark" board, you can install it within the EZK box to run wasted spark. When you do this, you need to make sure the coil dwell time is compatible with the original LH2.4 coil dwell time.

For you, it's probably easiest and cheapest to convert to MicroSquirt and LS coils at the same time. (Or you could convert to MicroSquirt first and continue using the stock coil/distributor/plugwires, then add the LS coils later.)

As a heads up, you usually don't need the capacitor for noise suppression on the LS coils.

Back