• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gates VS Continental timing belt.

dm245

I got a timing belt kit for my 960. Whole kit, belt, INA tensioner and idler rollers, Aisin water pump and tensioner.
Any time I buy belts I order Continental.
In the kit I ordered it was described as coming with a Continental timing belt.
What I received was a Gates belt while the rest of the kit was as listed.

So my question is the Gates belt good enough to use. I've always ordered the Continental as they are OEM.

Thanks Dave

I've not used Gates for a TB but have used their accessory belts, they're fine.

Recently replaced a Gates serpentine belt in a F-250, after 50K miles it showed no cracks, no signs of wear.

I only use Gates Kevlar timing belts. I had a cam seize due to lack of oil pressure and it snapped the cam bolt right off, didn't harm the belt at all. I did replace it though.

When I did my timing belt on my b230ft I replaced with a genuine Volvo belt from the dealer as a good friend of mine told me they are the best. Any truth to that?

A genuine Volvo belt is good stuff. Probably made by Continental anyway. The Gates kevlar blue timing belts are probably good for double the replacement interval on a stock engine. The regular rubber ones have worked fine for me as well.

Thanks for the replies. This belt is not the blue Kevlar. Just a regular rubber one.
I prefer using the parts I order, not a substitute.

I was told years ago that Continental is the manufacturer for Volvo belts. Have never had a problem with them. Now have something I did not order and that is my concern. I suppose I'll use it short term, but not run it anywhere close to the 70K interval. What I will do is not order from the vendor starting with an E.

Too bad since they're someone I've over and over through the years. For the 960 sometimes they have the parts that aren't available on the other popular sites.

The last few OE belts I installed were actually Dayco's. Personally, I run the Gates Kevlar's, haven't had an issue with them.
Continental on the other hand, nope, won't run another of those in my lifetime. Near failure at 10k miles, noisy, significant wear on another, failed v-belt at 12k, and I'm not the only one. Thankfully I caught the belt before it snapped, swapped a Gates on, changed it at 40k with another.

Back