• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

She may be cooked.

1968 volvo

Just last year I purchased a 1968 Volvo 142s to restore and to be my first car. The gentleman who sold it to me assured me that it only needed brakes and some cosmetics. I believed him probably too soon. Throughout this time I have had to completely rebuild the brake system, the carburetors were shot, the ignition system made no spark at all ect. Continuing on with the rebuild with good faith that it would run and drive well someday. The time came around two months ago. Before and during the first drive I found many more problems. Before the drive, I found that the rear differential was bone dry and the transmission was low. I topped them off and on the drive it drove pretty well. I drove it about three times between now and then. Tonight, on one of its rare night drives, I did my normal procedure of checking all the fluids (except the diff fluid) before heading out. Everything was in order. After about a 20 min round trip, i got home and tried to put the car into park... it seems that there's no park only neutral #2. Next I tried to put into reverse to try to re-park as it had rolled down the driveway. reverse seemed to be neutral #3. Scared that something was up, I pulled the car into the driveway and just used the emergency brake as park. I then checked the transmission fluid and it was bone dry. :omg: Yikes. I'm afraid that I may have cooked the transmission and I'm afraid that other big things on the car are baked and I'm a little bit unsure as to whether its worth it to continue on or not. Is there anything I can try to get my transmission back. I already tried adding fluid but I didn't have enough.

Wow this is quite a contrast from the previous thread I posted :-P

Last edited:
5rhrw0.jpg

:help:
I think I'm going to continue with the build... Is it worth trying to "drain" the transmission and refill it with fresh fluid? I cant give up on the car now I have done so much to it already.

Fill the transmission, see what happens. It's a 50 plus year old car, not a good choice for a daily driver unless every system has been gone through.

I had a known good early BW35 transmission for years but I gave it to my Volvo indie guy who left it out for the metal man.

I think MikeJr. has one kicking around though.

Fill the transmission, see what happens. It's a 50 plus year old car, not a good choice for a daily driver unless every system has been gone through.

Ok. I will try. I'm a only 15 so I don't need a daily driver yet. But at this rate it seems that I may have one when I'm done.

I had a known good early BW35 transmission for years but I gave it to my Volvo indie guy who left it out for the metal man.

I think MikeJr. has one kicking around though.

I think If I had to change the actual transmission, I would try for a M40 or M41 if I'm lucky. I know nothing about that at all yet though.

I suggest you get a copy of the Haynes manual for 140 and try to find a copy of the Volvo greenbook for your car. Read them from cover to cover. It'll help you out a lot with knowing how things work. These are good cars to learn how things work on. Like many old cars yours is going to need every system checked or repaired before it's trustworthy. We call that stage zero for a car.

I checked the shifting linkage and its all there and all moving up until it goes inside the transmission. I don't really know how an automatic transmission works tbh but I assume that no fluid for any amount of time can cause damage. I tried to top it off today and see if anything was different. It still has no park or reverse. I think that whatever is responsible for shifting the gears inside the transmission was damaged when no transmission fluid was present. I got a couple of suggestions from my grandpa... hes an old farmer who could get anything to run and move with enough duck tape and determination... that I'm going to try. He didn't sound too hopeful. I think it might maybe time for a M40.

Anyone want to buy a broken BW35?

Back