• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

airbox/filter for +T

autoloclys

Pertaining to doing a +T in a 240 wagon, LH2.4. Going to be +T'd with an intercooler

What is the best way to do an airbox or filter for the finished conversion? I've done a fair bit of searching and cant find a clear answer. I see in most engine bay pics folks running conical filters on the end of the AMM and tucking it in near the washer bottle. I found some other post that mentioned using a modified airbox from a turbo car, either a 7xx or 9xx or a K-jet box with bits removed.

If the conical filter is the best setup, can someone point me at a recommended brand with the best flow/surface area?

thanks

I made a 7xx turbo air box fit but it took wire a bit of heating with the fire wrench and squishing the back of the box in. I drilled a big hole in the inner fender that feeds the air box to suck in cool outside air. Also the water bottle went in the trunk.

240 diesel air box won't work with a stock 240 intercooler.

FTFY

OP: Interestingly enough, Volvo actually made an airbox that fits perfectly in a 240 because, you guessed it, it was made to go in a 240!

VEneeWs.jpg

fXDXhRp.jpg

AVUgeAw.jpg

l3B7iDn.jpg

Given that a Kjet airbox is getting to be on the scarce side. Is there good reason to do this over the conical pod filters in the same location that seem pretty common on +T's i can find online?

I was hoping to avoid creating another thread of people just snarkily stating preferences, honestly those are easy to find. If the Kjet airbox is the best option, why?

They're not scarce. You could have one by the end of the week if you wanted one. You might have to pay more than $5.95 shipped as is the usual T'bricks way, but nevertheless they are out there. In fact, I have 5 in my stash.

It's the best option because conical filters are ghetto. 740 turbo airbox is an option, but is about 100X more work.

Another Swedish option.... use the SAAB 900 air filter housing & buy the MANN filter it uses. Much more surface area than the diesel box. My son used this on his 245 B230FT and I was honestly surprised how well it fit. You can clock the top of the air box/cylindrical lid... and the AMM attached directly to it. Functional, hell yes, he's been rocking it for coming up on 2 years now without issue.

Modified kjet turbo box is the best way to. I didn't like the cobra head so I just used aluminum piping(I didn't take picture of finished box but you get the idea).

36828760314_fb4d7fe516_z.jpg

Kjet airbox is good for about 250-300 whp when not being opened up (but having all the stuff below it removed) and combined with a free flow filter. Also is very nice for using it for cold air intake.

However this cobra snorkel is hurting your pride, while as i had somewhere read somewhere, it it steals about 17hp from the engine due to its design.

In my project i had an adapter made, to get rid the cobra snorkel, and fit it on my 3' turbo inlet @ stock position.

35530539932_87f8a9e627_b.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
I never care much about keeping a factory look, so I would just buy whatever cone filter fits from summit. I have a feeling that you will not notice any performance difference regardless of what you end up going with.

I moved the washer bottle to the rear with my battery. Cut a big hole with a circular saw where the washer bottle used to be & ran the 3" tubing from the turbo/AMM through the hole to the void in front of the front wheel. Put the biggest air filter I could find on the end of the pipe & covered the bottom of the void with a grill from an old cooker filter.

Wren- Can you tell me the part number for the diesel air filter housing? I can't read it in you photos. If you have one you want to sell, let mw know!
-Wes

They're not scarce. You could have one by the end of the week if you wanted one. You might have to pay more than $5.95 shipped as is the usual T'bricks way, but nevertheless they are out there. In fact, I have 5 in my stash.

It's the best option because conical filters are ghetto. 740 turbo airbox is an option, but is about 100X more work.

Back