• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Marine Conversions?

dinoap

Good morning.

I've been milling about here and this seems to be the place to find answers.

I have dual AQ145A engines in my boat from 1984. I want to build up a spare engine for when the time comes to overhaul one of the installed engines.

I found a 1990 B230 Engine locally and was wondering if my externals would swap over to that block when the time comes? The B230 is a couple hours away so I haven't seen it yet. Just wondering if I should grab it up or keep on looking?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Check to make sure your AQs are B23 or B230-based, because a lot of the early AQs were B21-based. The penta engines are just car engines with boat stuff on them, if they're standard displacement and not the stroked ones.

Volvo also modified the number four exhaust port to use an iron ring on it. I'm sure to use the B230 for marine use most stuff will bolt on but it may require some drilling and tapping of bosses on the engine block to bolt up the accessories.

Thank you for the info.

I went ahead and bought it and the tranny for 200 bucks. Looks like a decent motor, not covered in oil even.

I think most everything from my B23’s will bolt right up from what I’ve seen so far.

Eng S/N B230F 1289255 17022
Casting 891004

Head 1000530
26 10 88 2 393

Anyone want the tranny? Automatic and free for the taking. Not sure what model.

Yes the AQ145A is based on a B23 block, I think the B230 block becomes an AQ151. Was just curious if the heads are interchangeable along with the marine externals. Thank you.

Back