• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Lowering springs with Bil HD

jerryc

My 95 940 wagon seems to have lost one of its Koni's on the front. I have lowering springs on it now, and still have the original springs on hand. I'm looking for one Koni to replace the bad one, but as I got them used some years ago I think I'd be better off replacing both.
I can get a great deal on some slightly used Bil HD inserts, and have some older rears on hand also. If I go that way, will the lowering springs have a poor effect on them?

Also re: getting new Koni fronts, some listings are $266 ea. One listing is for a late 760 at $150. But these should all be the same I believe. Another listing is for an entire strut, not the insert, which I did not know they made, at $175 ish. ???

Interesting; Koni is no longer making these for 7-9. Repair is an option but not cheap at $225 ea.
I may go with the Bils. I have Bils in my other car, a 94 940. Stock height though.

Bilstein B6 aka HD will work fine with lowering springs. If I was buying new Konis. I'd get them from Kaplenke.

But all things considered would konis be the preferred with the lower springs?

OP as dl says BNE still has em. Wonder if this will be like the 17? eikers where this is the last of it

I have experience on 240 with both the B6 and the Konis. I love the Konis adjustability and with that they can work with a larger range of springs. However, the B6 has proven to be very good and with coil overs are stronger than the Konis. The roads around here killed my Konis when I had them on coil overs. I needed to upgrade my springs to barrel springs to help reduce the side loading on the coil overs. Since then it's been fine with B6 Bilsteins.

If Ben can get you Konis and you might go higher in spring rate in the future, go for it. For up to 200#, Bilsteins are OK without revalving.

Better act soon. Theres no telling when someone else will grab that inventory. Operators are standing by!!!! :-P

Back