• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Muellers '78 242 project, warning, it's ugly right now :)

From what I understand they look for any signs of it still being a spark ignition engine. If so, it will fail. (coil, spark plug wires??)

Since they'll be able to hear it idling from outside the building they'll believe it's a diesel.

From what I understand they look for any signs of it still being a spark ignition engine. If so, it will fail. (coil, spark plug wires??)

Since they'll be able to hear it idling from outside the building they'll believe it's a diesel.

Last time YoshiFab took a legitimate diesel car to the DMV, they didn't even ask to see it.

Yep, pretty much committed now.....

8:30AM this was on my driveway....heavy sucker to pull out by myself, but I got it done.

About 1/2 hour later Shane showed up and helped me push it up the driveway into the other garage space.

The exhaust all appears to be fairly new, Walker muffler, no idea if stock diameter or not, not quite 3"..will have to measure.

Now to pick up an intercooler since in was an non-intercooled car.

Dropped the chassis off to it's new owner this morning as well.

Pssssssst! Muller, mang! Didya notice there's an auto-tragique thing hanging off the nice motor???
Shirley you can't be thinking of plaguing yourself with that.

Pssssssst! Muller, mang! Didya notice there's an auto-tragique thing hanging off the nice motor???
Shirley you can't be thinking of plaguing yourself with that.

No, that is going up for sale or to the recycling depot for my .10? a pound

Will one of the 2 M46 transmissions I have unless I get motivated to make another T5 adapter plate (unless my redblock adapter plate I made will work)

A little cleaning today, removing the old sound insulation in the rear trunk, most just flaked off...the rest I used a heat gun to soften it up a bit.

A little bit of surface rust here and there, mostly in the lower section of the trunk where the fenders meet the trunk.

Also a pic of the rear tail light panel for myself before I start cutting and welding it :omg:

Attachments

• rear_trunk_sound_removal.jpg
    rear_trunk_sound_removal.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 902
  • rear view before new bodywork.jpg
    rear view before new bodywork.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 901
  • alabama.jpg
    alabama.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Broke out the plasma cutter, the air nibbler and a few other tools to start the 142 tail light conversion.

Yes, that is/was a metal shelf unit, almost perfect thickness match for the Volvo sheet metal.

Still a work in progress!

Attachments

• rear lights 04.jpg
    rear lights 04.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 973
  • rear lights 03.jpg
    rear lights 03.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 969
  • rear lights 02.jpg
    rear lights 02.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 969
  • rear lights 01.jpg
    rear lights 01.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 971
they wont! its been done, FRODOSM3 did that very thing, no problems no hassles
What DMV can or will do in any given interaction is entirely dependent on which agent you talk to, and what kind of day they are having.
DMV can't issue VECI decals, and if your VECIdoes'nd match what is on the car, you can't pass SMOG. Since the incompetence and sometimes lenience of SMOG tech's knows now bounds, you never know what might happen.

Mueller ZF trans test
drain pan & clean
reinstall and refill(gasket is reusable).
Fire it up, run through the gears, then remove the pan again, and check for fresh debris.

What DMV can or will do in any given interaction is entirely dependent on which agent you talk to, and what kind of day they are having.
DMV can't issue VECI decals, and if your VECIdoes'nd match what is on the car, you can't pass SMOG. Since the incompetence and sometimes lenience of SMOG tech's knows now bounds, you never know what might happen.

Mueller ZF trans test
drain pan & clean
reinstall and refill(gasket is reusable).
Fire it up, run through the gears, then remove the pan again, and check for fresh debris.

It works, and there a few people I know have done it, pass the visual inspection and that's it, ask me why my 88 244 is smog exempt...

Is the IRS ear end installed yet?

Or is the underbody still naked as a jay bird?

Solid axle laying under the car keeping the spiders company...still not attached to vehicle...minor detail.

IRS is on hold until I do some upgrades to my lathe and acquire some other parts needed for the rear suspension.

Started the new harness today, this is going to take a while....this crimping stuff is slow work!

Loaded up the truck for Davis today! (4/27/13)

Attachments

• harness01.jpg
    harness01.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 831
  • davis_stuff03.jpg
    davis_stuff03.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 943
  • davis_stuff02.jpg
    davis_stuff02.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 946
  • davis_stuff01.jpg
    davis_stuff01.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:
New upper (one showing) and new lower trailing arms.....

3/4 inch ends...

.120" wall DOM

I screwed up a little and got a little too aggressive with the welds and warped threads just a little on the inside of the weld bungs.....had to chase the threads with a tap. During a test fit before using a tap to clean up the threads I ended up getting one joint stuck, it is in there forever! Have to buy one replacement unit.

Attachments

• trailing arm clean threads.jpg
    trailing arm clean threads.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 897
  • trailing arms 01.jpg
    trailing arms 01.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 995
  • rolled_rolls01.jpg
    rolled_rolls01.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 792
  • flywheel01.jpg
    flywheel01.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
Slowly making progress...sorta, have not worked on the car in a while. Making a tubing bender so I can use it for the rear suspension and other things. :)

This is the Got-Trikes design.
$20 or so for the plans.
$200 for one die so far.
All the metal was free, I helped a machine shop move into another building years ago and they gave me a bunch of stuff that was going to taken to the recyclers.
The hydraulic jack was free, I can borrow the one from my engine lift/cherry picker.

A few things I've learned so far building this,

I am not the fabricator I thought I was :oops: :-( ....

I suck at arc/stick welding...

My 110v Mig welder sucks for this thicker material...

I love my Tig welder now that I've learned how to use it better, still no close-up-worthy shots to post like some of you pros have!

Next time I will just buy the darn bender, too much time spent on it, it wouldn't be that big of deal, it's just that I have too many other things to do to get the car up and running to be spending a full weekend building something. (not 100% of the weekend devoted to building it, still had to do things with and for the family)

Pictures:
Milling the sides flat and all to the same size, the plans call out for some parts to be .625" thick, I used .75 for the parts with all the holes and for 2 "ears" I used .500" thick material that I welded together (parts in vice)

I also milled the bevel for welding those parts together, a hand held grinder would have worked but I was trying out a new CAD/CAM program I bought. (Dolphin CAD/CAM)

Still a few more pieces to weld and then paint it. Hopefully finish it thru the week and get my 1st part bent this weekend.

Attachments

• photo01.JPG
    photo01.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 718
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 714
  • photo02.JPG
    photo02.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 718
  • photo03.JPG
    photo03.JPG