• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My 242, Now What Do I Do?

Nice work on the porting!

There are lots of opinions on which cam is "best"...both will work. The "T" has much less overlap than the "A" which is better for turbo spool. In my experience it is also a very linear cam and doesn't have an rpm where it comes "on cam"...IMO this makes for nicer driveability.

Since you have both cams I'd try them both out to see which one you like best for your application.

Thanks OldSchool! I will use the T (it's in there, shimmed, etc.) first and then try the A once I get everything running well on the 2.4. Appreciate the input!

Back to the bodywork
Engine bay degreased (3x)

Trunk 2 prep

Spoilers and pan washed/prepped

Trunk 1 prepped

The body lines on this car!

Whew!

Hood prep
Man this took five hours to do the underside! Rust transformer, sand, rusty metal primer, sand and re-prime and repeat! Finally ready for sealer/primer/paint. That's just the underside! Gotta flip it and get busy block sanding the top!

Well life gets in the way, but I got some stuff done on the turbo.

Fabricated the necessary stand offs for the waste gate actuator and welded them to the turbo housing. I only have a mig welder and this is my first whack at aluminum. While they rent pretty they are very sturdy and work great. I cut the stand offs from an old manifold (they were already drilled and tapped) adjusted them to fit.

Intake and exhaust ready on the bench!

And spent some time on my other baby, prepping for the VCOA this Saturday at the Gilmore!

Also de-shrouded the combustion chambers...

3 down one to go!

:wtf:

Er. Uhm. Valve unshrouding on the inline valve Redblock head is done on the short ends of the chamber where the valves are close to the "walls' of the chamber... Kinda like
unshroud.jpg

Looking at the intakes say if top of piccie is 12 O'clock opening out to the gasket line from about 10 O'clock to 8 O'clock and for the exhaust from 1 O'clock to 5 O'clock

Jus saying...:oops:

Thanks John for sharing that drawing! I'll get the burr out and work on the head some more!

Cool. Lookie what I found---Ford V4 heads with markings still on them.. For what seems like centuries I'd install 42mm intakes and 36mm exhaust valve on all customer heads---that's up from stock 37mm in and 31. sumpin exhuast, so quite a lit bigger so the walls were quite close..
WestwickSaabHeads002.JPG

Here is Stock vs the "Normal spec" (I use 44.5mm in and 38mm exhuast on my personal V4)
WestwickSaabHeads004.JPG

Maybe you can see the contouring..

Wow those valves look huge! I would like to go bigger but that's not in the budget this round. I get the contouring idea and will give that a shot! Thanks again for your help; I'm still thinking about your ralleye car pic and suggestion. That looks like a blast!

Wow those valves look huge! I would like to go bigger but that's not in the budget this round. I get the contouring idea and will give that a shot! Thanks again for your help; I'm still thinking about your ralleye car pic and suggestion. That looks like a blast!

No prob, mang..I's here to help.. Now just for pondering in the future, that BIG intake I use is more or less Redblock stock intake size; 44.5mm (aka 1.75") I, and a few serious head guys (fuel and funny car head guys I've know for a YUUUUUUUUUGE amount of time) say the 38mm aka 1.5" is a typical match up.....But Volvo uses a tiny little bitty 35mm exhaust..

Hell my "normal" exhaust (mine, not Ford's) is 36mm and this is for either a 1.5 or 1,7 liter motor...SEEMS like a big manly 2,1 or burly 2,3 would want a weeeeeeee bit bigger, like 38mm..Just sumpin to think of when you have a spare $60-75 laying around..

Life gets in the way;

Went to the VCOA show

Brought this home

Then picked this up

Put the doors on it and brought home an 82 DL. She's rough but restorable and is a future project!

Too many engines! Now that I have a second car to add to the mix, here's what I'm going to do (finally and thanks for your ideas!).

83 group A - b21ft original engine + 16T/blues
82 DL - 95 b230f +t/oranges

Thank you! I really was surprised as there were a lot of really nice cars. Kinda makes all the work worth it, lol!

I bought that downpipe on this forum. It was listed as a straight flange unit, was dirt cheap, and turned out to be an angle flange! The price I paid for the whole thing was the same as if I just bought the flange. I'm going to try running it and if it fits I'll use it as it's very sturdy, albeit not pretty. I can make a new dp easy enough with 3" ju, but hey first I'll try this guy! You have any history with this piece by chance?!

Body work is progressing; spent today taping/prepping/cleaning. First time I've used this masking film; man is it better than paper!

Sprayed hi-build primer on some of the panels/pieces.

Extra trunk lid; plan is one with a spoiler and one without...

Tomorrow is sealer and hi-build on the body and remaining parts. Then block sanding, more primer, etc...

Back