• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

You could pour some ATF in the holes and see if any is left overnight.
Well I did that with a white spirit and I could see the liquid disappearing from the two outer cylinders much faster than the two inner ones...
Maybe put new rings, do the valves and then continue on with boosting.
Yeah, I've ordered new rings yesterday. I'll fit them and see how much it helps. Considering how much work it is to put it all back together, I want to do it right this time :)

Engine is out again, I've got the piston rings, this week the engine stand should arrive too...:nod:
This time the whole extracting procedure took less than half of the time...learning curve :)

90Y3L0fh.jpg

ZgdGKSWh.jpg

Last edited:
Today all the tools arrived :)

Valve compressing tool; all valves are out, head is ready for resurfacing. By the way, do you do the valve lapping before or after the head resurfacing? I am thinking it would be more convenient to do it before, as the shop does thorough cleaning after the skimming and I'll be sure that all the lapping compound is gone then.
JdN1aI2h.jpg

Engine stand, so it immediately received an engine to hold :) tomorrow the pistons go out and I'll see if the new rings stabilize the pistons in the cylinders enough or not.
0Vk0gFOh.jpg

Some more disassembly...the conrod bearings looks good to me, equal wear over the surface, no spots...
vRQgTlyh.jpg

TKOJMzEh.jpg

The head is resurfaced & ready for reasembly
eojKZnch.jpg

Testing the valve sealing properly after lapping with white spirit
Avkk5Hrh.jpg

And also some new stuff arrived :)
ZcyESMBh.jpg

Hi
I was checking with the endoscope today and I can't find it. If I understood correctly, these weights are not present on the engines equipped with balance shafts (b234f and b204ft/gt).

Interesting. Check for four nuts on the inside of each frame rail. About half way back.

I wanna do a similar build as you, but with a B234F I have on the stand. I have done some engine rebuilding classes and got to play around with the micrometers. I wanna get some. I liked the Starrett ones.

Now would be the time for you to mic the bores, pistons, crank, rod journals, etc.

Oh, by the way...>Volvo< webpage shows the same number for the B204gt/B234f head...is that correct? As these engines have different bore, I doubt the head is the same, or am I wrong?

B234F has different camshafts. More lift, different duration. Did wonders in my B204FT (together with ported head) before and after I dumped the stock shortblock with those stupid, heavy balance shafts for a newly build up B230FK.

B234F has different camshafts. More lift, different duration. Did wonders in my B204FT (together with ported head) before and after I dumped the stock shortblock with those stupid, heavy balance shafts for a newly build up B230FK.
Yeah, later I've also found some topic describing the different volume of the combustion chambers...

You are going deep down the rabbit hole.
Seems I am not going deep down the rabbit hole anymore. I've started digging a brand new hole :lol:

Lots of updates :)
After dismantling the pistons and checking the wear of the cylinders and pistons and lots of consultations and measurements, it has been decided that re-ringing would help maybe for a while, but definitely not in the long term, as the wear was already too serious.

That led to sequence of other actions...the block has been stripped down entirely, pressure-washed, rebored to 2nd oversize and honed. The next thing are the pistons (that are NLA from Volvo for a long time), so custom pistons from Josh - Yoshifab needs to be made :cool:

Old worn piston
<iframe width="1024" height="768" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ryb6N0uk6zA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Engine block stripped down & ready for the shop
SdSYXy0h.jpg

Engine block being re-bored
<iframe width="1024" height="768" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0S1U1J2LWYI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Engine block being honed afterwards
<iframe width="1024" height="768" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QwIZX_1JLlY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep, you opened up the bottom end. Your engine will be stronger with good compression and will burn less oil.

How did you make measurements? With what tools?

I can check the numbers as I have both heads here, but IIRC they shouldn't have same numbers as they're totally different, as head part is concerned. Camshaft carriers ("upper head") are the same, but as the main part is concerned, dome diameter is different, valves are bigger on the 2.3, and generally they're not interchangible - 2.0 head on a 2.3 block would make for a stupid squish area and detonate itself into oblivion quite soon, while 2.3 head on a 2.0 block is going to slam the valves into block...

As for stupid balance shafts, I delete them for good preventive measure. But then you still have those stupid oil pumps that are NLA along with exploding pulleys...

But 204FT/GT blocks doo have girdles that don't fit 8v blocks.

However, my next 16vT build is going to use '98 B200FT block, B204GT head and B234F cams, just because I haven't tried those yet...

P.S.
That block looks really well worn. I don't think a hone is going to help much, it's probably due for an overbore, so I'd either go with that + custom pistons or sleeve the block...

Still moving forward more or less :)

Oil squirters and new main bearings installed
LQVBCwih.jpg

Crankshaft back in place
7QmgzvVh.jpg

Main caps and cross stay installed
6VIQfbbh.jpg

Converting the engine from reddishblock to redblock :)

8j6IAUbh.jpg

BvJFP4Gh.jpg

Good evening to everyone here!
I am new member from Greece and this is the first thread i'm reading.
I like this project because I remember the time and effort that I spent to make my old Ford Taunus fast and safe. My name is Panagiotis.
Last week I bought a b204ft engine without the lh4 the tcu and the ezk116 . The half of the wiring harness is also missing...
I,m planning to install the engine on a Ford Taunus.
I found a complete car with the b200ft engine. Is it possible to use the ecu and ignition (chipped)and the harness of the b200ft to run
the b204ft with manually boost control?
I want the engine running with the factory settings because 200 bhp is more than enough for the old Taunus.
Do you suggest something different?
At this moment the car has a ford sierra efi engine controlled by megasauirt2 and ford edis4 wasted spark ignition . Do you know someone to transfer the fuel and ignition maps from the b204ft to the megasquirt controller? I tried to contact bijlsma by e-mail but my mail couldn't be delivered.

Welcome to the board!

It would be better though if you started a new thread instead of hijacking an existing project.

I apologize for this, maybe Tomass could help me to contact with the man who modified his LH2.4
I will start a new thread.

Custom pistons from Yoshifab are being made, in the meantime I am putting together whatever makes sense...

Front oil distribution plate
WrYUVG4h.jpg

Cleaned, new radial seal & Volvo anaerobic sealant applied
IkcVwxph.jpg

Front of the block cleaned up
ZwkEelwh.jpg

New oil pump o-ring seal
tnM2e7Mh.jpg

Oil pump cleaned & new radial seal
LcJzQsqh.jpg

It started to look like engine again!
pfF1bCch.jpg