• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

BioD24TI Project (greenblock pics)

Kevin Hawkinson

Better Red than Dead
I picked up this engine a few weeks ago, and just got it apart this weekend.
There's rust in #1 and #5, and the leftover coolant in the waterjacket was all rusty, too.
Plus, there's still oil in the oilpan, so I have to drain that before I tear down the shortblock.
2007_0530Image0004.JPG

2007_0530Image0005.JPG

2007_0530Image0006.JPG

2007_0530Image0007.JPG

2007_0530Image0008.JPG

2007_0530Image0009.JPG

2007_0530Image0011.JPG

And it looks like ALL the cylinders are cracked between the valve seats.

So, the idea here is to rebuild it to run biodiesel in my 245 DD. And run LOTS of boost.:-P

I thought the D24's were a 5Cyl Diesel engine?
The 5 cylinder VW was for Nordic market taxis only.
VW got the 4 cyclinder
Volvo Taxi for the 5 and cause everything is always bigger in Fortress America?, we got the 6.
Same sheet just longer.

And thanks fawking Gaaaawd that lump is finally out of the back of my poor van (diesel van so it was a 14 cylinder diesl for a while!)

We're going to Beeeeeeoooooost the puck outta this thing!

Forged pistons, studs, big Intercooler, some sorta turbo and watch out!

you have some work ahead of you, but looks like its going to be an awesome project!

what kind of sparkplugs are you going to run? ;-) :-D lol

BioD FTW! Sweeeeet! I have always wanted to do this and use the grease from my favorite chicken joints.

VW diesels do that cracks between the valve seats thing too. I've seen some really interesting cut-away's of heads with that on them, they can get an inch or more deep and still have no effect on performance. Eventually I guess they would hit a water jacket, but it's take a LONG time. Is it common and/or not a big deal on the Volvo D head as well? It's almost impossible to really fix on the VW since they go so deep. We mostly just leave em.

So, the idea here is to rebuild it to run biodiesel in my 245 DD. And run LOTS of boost.:-P

Looks like quite a project. If you build it right, you won't regret it- these are awesome motors. If you want advice and help finding parts you can join the d24 e-mail list:

http://lists.subtend.net/mailman/listinfo/d24

Make sure you get the green book, almost all of the factory tools, a stainless head gasket from the dealer, and high quality pistons.

mmmmm studs, boost, giant turbo, 100+psi, and lots of fuel you should be into the 500whp and gobs of tourque. Balance that beotch and rev it to the moon 5k ish.

Wow you're actually building one eh? If you're interested I have a complete D24 that's just been sitting in my garage for the past two years, been tripping over the damn thing every day. It's missing a cam but I think it's got pretty much everything else. You can take it with that bellhousing that I have for ya!

Seriously, if you want the engine speak now cause I really wanna toss it soon.

John

VW diesels do that cracks between the valve seats thing too. I've seen some really interesting cut-away's of heads with that on them, they can get an inch or more deep and still have no effect on performance. Eventually I guess they would hit a water jacket, but it's take a LONG time. Is it common and/or not a big deal on the Volvo D head as well? It's almost impossible to really fix on the VW since they go so deep. We mostly just leave em.
It IS a VW diesel. Just given another #1 and another #4 cylinder. I've heard they're not as reliable as the 4 cylinder version due to poor oiling, but I've never driven one or worked on one, so I have no clue. More internet misinformation, as some would say.

I got my new fifty over shortblock in the car. I just need to get the head on and get it running. I couldn't get the front pully balancer off my old motor. I hit on it for hours with the impact and could not break. I finally took the one off my other parts motor.

d24install.jpg

It IS a VW diesel. Just given another #1 and another #4 cylinder. I've heard they're not as reliable as the 4 cylinder version due to poor oiling, but I've never driven one or worked on one, so I have no clue. More internet misinformation, as some would say.

I've worked on one once, if I never have to do it again I'll be happy.

Back