• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

mega or micro squirt???

Microsquirt only had one tach out, from what my manual says

this is correct.

The megasquirt documentation sucks. I don't care what anyone says, it sucks. They leave outdated information floating around on websites that show today's date as last updated. It's difficult to search, and even more difficult to confirm you are looking at up-to-date literature. They should hire an outsource firm to handle their tech writing/version control and put the price into the units.. it would be worth it. Don't feel bad about having a hard time finding the information. I read every page of "the manual" (the latest manual? ****ed if I know but it had microsquirt v3 on the cover, as did several other slightly different manuals I found) and still had plenty of questions after.

I have my micro running but haven't gotten into the tach yet. I found this thread http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=231777

and it does sound like some have used this circuit
http://msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Hardware_Manual_files/HiVTacho.GIF

that's what I'm planning on trying once I get about to making it work.

Microsquirt only had one tach out, from what my manual says

My point is that the low voltage spike of that 1 tach output on your microsquirt will need a little help to drive a high voltage tachometer that would normally feed from the V- on the coil. In order to accomplish this you need to have that signal creates a high Voltage spike similar to the V- of the ignition coil. That is the need for building the circuit with the relay coil. You will need to do this in a separate enclosure.

yeah they consolidated the documentation into a bunch of bull**** PDF's, so now it's exceptionally aggravating to find information, some of the old stuff is still available and mostly pertinent, but you have to go down and specifically click on that link and ignore the part that says "you should not use this". Even as such, there's a bunch of dead links.

even more aggravating than that is the attitude that comes from some of the developers regarding support issues. For the most part, you can get a straight answer from the guys at DIY (esp if you bought a microsquirt, as they're kinda on the hook for support)

Diy was the people who sent me my manual for micro, if push comes to shove I'll figure it out or just break down and by an aftermarket tach

My microsquirt manual doesn't say anything about doing that, just says can run an aftermarket tach

ok, well msextra has many peoples who have documented using the homemade tach adapter... seems they first tried it by referencing back to the ms1 manual that I directed you to since its an external circuit to simply pump up the signal. Not only that but the guys at DIY are there as well to answer questions.

So in your position, since there arent a ton of people on here that have fiddled with the Micros would be to set yourself up with an account over on msextra and see what others have done for a tach adapter. Since I have no experience with Micros take all my words with a grain.

Good luck! Sorry if I cam across as a D!CK, I didn't mean to :oops: :-(

Back