• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 Volvo 240 No start

studmuffed

Hey all. Sorry for adding to the absurd amount of no start threads, but I'm stumped.

I picked up this LH2.2 245 a few months back and lately it has been taking a while to start. Today, it decided not to start at all. I jumped fuses 4 and 6 and heard the main pump, but no start. Tested the power to the in tank pump and it was good. Cleaned the terminals of the 25 amp fuse in the engine bay.

Eventually decided that it was probably spark, so pulled a plug and cranked, SOLID SPARK! Additionally, there was some fuel spraying out of the cylinder while I was cranking.

So it seems like there is spark at least for one plug, both fuel pumps working, fuel relay working

Any ideas???

Also tried unplugging the maf, shifting into neutral and back into park, and unplugging and plugging back in the Hall sensor

edit: And I added another gallon of gas

Disable injectors, clear flood, two long blasts of starting fluid into an open throttle, crank, it should run. Keep it running on short blasts of starting fluid. Then retry.

Click my sig

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vzQxpwOHb0c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With LH2.2 240 setup. You can get a spark on initial key crank. You have to make sure the spark is strong and continuous. Just turning the key off and on will make a spark. Another check is to use a noid light or your handy test light on an injector. No flickering means no injector pulse. That happens when there isn't a rpm signal to the ecu. Then it won't open the injectors.

Check fuel pump relay.

Looks like an aftermarket timing belt (blue?). Be sure all the marks line up. Also be certain that your main vibration damper pulley is not worn out. The rubber core can let the timing slip. Have the valves been adjusted lately?

-L

Alright, so I fixed it, but I have no idea how. I followed ZVOLV's suggestions and cleared the cylinders, unplugged injector wires, and sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body. I also replaced all 4 spark plugs with some NGK BP6's and did the rotor and cap. After doing all that it fired right up. Plugged all the injectors back in and tried that way and it kept running!

I guess it couldve been flooded, or maybe it was an intermittent spark problem.

Last edited:
Nice! I had my 1991 740 Turbo sit for 2 months recently and it was the same scenario- pumps running, crank, spark, but no start. I think it may have lost fuel pressure prime, flooded, or weak compression. IDK.

Regardless, I used starting fluid and got it running and it ran ever since.

Well I woke up this morning and went to start it, and it started, but it still takes forever to start. It also stumbles a bunch before it finally gets going. Any ideas?? I'm gonna put some seafoam in the tank and see if that does anything.

Every other 240 I've owned starts up really fast.

Last edited:
Well I seafoamed it through the gas and thought I had solved the issue but today it took a really long time to start up again. It seems like the gas takes forever to prime but once it's running, it seems to run just fine. Is that what would happen if the check valve was bad?

Well I seafoamed it through the gas and thought I had solved the issue but today it took a really long time to start up again. It seems like the gas takes forever to prime but once it's running, it seems to run just fine. Is that what would happen if the check valve was bad?

exactly what happened when mine was bad
when it's working it keeps the full pressure from the pump to the injectors
when it's not working takes a way long time to start but then runs fine

exactly what happened when mine was bad
when it's working it keeps the full pressure from the pump to the injectors
when it's not working takes a way long time to start but then runs fine

Alright, I ordered a check valve and a fuel filter. I'll put them in and report back

Kinda curious what if any effect the Seafoam had ? I'm guessing you know it's designed to help stabilize fuel, clean carbon deposits, etc..and if you the fuel is bad it typically will smell like varnish, and will need to be removed(ask me how I know).

Checkvalve serves to keep fuel from flowing back/help maintain pressure.

;-)

The seafoam didn't really change anything, but I had some people suggest it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was hoping that the injectors were gummed up and it would clear them up, but I don't think that was the issue.

Kinda curious what if any effect the Seafoam had ? I'm guessing you know it's designed to help stabilize fuel, clean carbon deposits, etc..and if you the fuel is bad it typically will smell like varnish, and will need to be removed(ask me how I know).

Checkvalve serves to keep fuel from flowing back/help maintain pressure.

;-)

The seafoam didn't really change anything, but I had some people suggest it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I was hoping that the injectors were gummed up and it would clear them up, but I don't think that was the issue.

If you have a way of checking the fuel pressure, you can test it, and then let it sit overnight and compare to see if it dropped.

;-)

Back